Belgorod (historic. Belgorod Russian) is a city in
the south of the middle belt of the European part of Russia, the
administrative center of the Belgorod region. City is located on the
southern outskirts of the Central Russian Upland, on the banks of
the Belgorod Reservoir, on the rivers Vezelki and Seversky Donets,
700 km south of Moscow, 40 km from the border with Ukraine. Forms
the municipality of urban district of the city of Belgorod. The
population of 391,554 people (2018). Around the city formed Belgorod
agglomeration with a population of more than 0.5 million people.
Russia's first city to receive the title of "City of Military
Travel Destinations in Belgorod
Belgorod was badly damaged during the war, and a few dozen
buildings remained in the city before the revolution. These are
literally detached buildings - they do not form any ensembles and
are interspersed with Soviet architecture, sometimes ugly.
Nevertheless, among them there are very interesting. In addition, in
the suburbs on the outskirts of the city, a single-story stone
building was unusual for a resident of central Russia, and
surrealistic landscapes can be found between the settlements and the
center when the first row along the street is low-rise, and behind
it are built multi-story brick or panel houses.
- Chalk Mountain, st. Studencheskaya. The place of the ancient
wooden fortress of 1596, as well as the white-stone fortress Belaya
Vezha of the times of the Khazars and Alans. There is nothing left
from the fortress, but a view of the city from a bird's-eye view
House of merchant Selivanova. The only surviving
sample of a residential house in Belgorod is a manor of an urban
classicism era. Built in 1782. Now it houses the Literary Museum and
the Energy Museum.
Churches and monasteries
Savior Transfiguration Cathedral, Transfiguration, 63. The
cathedral was built in 1805-1813 in the style of classicism,
five-dome and with a huge portico. A bell tower, also classicism, is
attached to the cathedral. Marfo-Mariinsky Monastery. On the
territory there are two cathedrals: Uspensky-Nikolaevsky Cathedral,
built in 1701, Peter I donated money for its construction; and the
Church of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos, built in 1791
in the style of early classicism, in 1837 and 1865, the side chapels
were added to it. Smolensk Cathedral, Grazhdansky Ave 50A.
Local History Museum, st. Popov, 2a. ☎ +7 (4722) 32 16 76. 10:00
- 19:00. The exposition presents archaeological monuments of
Scythian and Saltovo-Mayak culture, materials about the emergence of
Belgorod and its role in Russian history, about the most important
past events on the territory of the region and outstanding natives
of Belgorod Region. Art Museum, st. Victory, 77th. ☎ +7 (4722)
58-96-67. 10.00 - 19.00, a break 14.00 - 15.00, except Tuesday. 70
rub. The original Art Nouveau building was built in 2005. Soviet art
of the 20th century is mainly represented. In addition to the
paintings, sculptures, objects of decorative and applied arts
(including the collection of dolls of the Belgorod Region), and
iconography are on display. Museum-diorama “Battle of Kursk.
Belgorod direction ", st. Popova, 2. ☎ +7 (4722) 32-96-89. Tue - Sun
10:00 - 18:00, break 13:00 - 14:00. 65 rubles, a tour of at least 10
people - 36 rubles / person, audio guide 106 rubles. The main thing
that is worth visiting the museum is a diorama depicting a tank
battle at Prokhorovka on July 12, 1943, the victory in which became
a turning point in the Battle of Kursk. The diorama in Belgorod is
the largest diorama in Russia: length - 67, height - 15 m. Created
by artists N. Bout, G. Sevostyanov, V. Shcherbakov. The museum
building is made in the form of an arc on a high base. At the
entrance to the museum, an IS-3 tank, an ISU-152 self-propelled gun,
three mortars and a gun were installed. Museum of Folk Culture,
st. Michurin, 43. firstname.lastname@example.org ☎ 26-74-17. 10:00 - 18:00, Thu 10:00
- 20:00, Mon - day off. entrance ticket 16 rubles and an additional
16 rubles for each exhibition. Museum of the Interior. The
cultural center of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia in the
Belgorod region. Literary Museum, st. Transfiguration, 38. ☎
27-64-23. Mon-Sat 09: 00-18: 00. Located in the local architectural
monument of the XVIII century house of the merchant Selivanov.
Exhibits include items belonging to local writers: bibliographer,
writer, publicist I.V. Vladislavleva; aviator and cinematographer ND
Anoschenko, as well as Soviet writers VS Bukhanova, M.M. Obukhova,
V.S. Zhukovsky, N.G. Ovcharova, N.S. Krasnova. On the second floor
there is a museum of the history of energy in the Belgorod region -
the departmental museum "Belgorodenergo". Museum of
Communications. Opened in 2003. Ethnographic Museum of the
Institute of Culture.
Monument to Prince Vladimir the Great. According to one of the
versions, the prince founded Belgorod, although there is no
documentary evidence of this. The height of the monument is 22.5
meters, which makes it the largest monument of Belgorod and the
world's largest monument to Prince Vladimir. Monument to Pavel
Kirillovich Grechikhin (incorruptible traffic cop). Element Wikidan
Monument is an inspector of the traffic police Pavel Kirillovich
Grechikhin, standing with a raised rod next to a motorcycle. It is
installed at the place where the traffic police post was previously
located. Army General Apanasenko I.R. Discovered in 1949.
Authors: sculptor N.V. Tomsky, architect L.G. Golubovsky. It is a
monument of monumental art of federal significance.
Monument-stele "City of Military Glory", Cathedral Square. It was
installed in 2013 on the place where a monument to Lenin had been
erected before. The text of the decree on conferring the honorary
title "City of Military Glory" to the city is posted on the stela.
Monument to Mikhail Shchepkin. Dedicated to the Russian actor, the
founder of realism in the Russian scenic art, Mikhail Semenovich
Shchepkin, a native of Belgorod. Monument to St. Joseph.
Monument to Y. Trubetskoy. Former first Belgorod governor.
Monument dog handlers F. S. Khikhlushka. Friendship tree
Sundial (near the Central Market on the 50th anniversary of the
Belgorod region). First teacher Janitor Photographer
(Family) Remembrance (Grandma) Chelnoki. Private citizens who
travelled in the late 80's and early 90's to foreign lands to buy
merchandise and delivered it to new Russia Gymnast Volleyball
players Dreams Come True Local historian Stonecutter
History of Belgorod
The name Belgorod (Белгород) in Russian literally means "White
city", compounding the sememes "белый" (bely, "white, light") and
"город" (gorod, "town, city"). The city thus acquired its name
because the region was rich in limestone. Etymologically, the name
corresponds to other Slavic city-names of identical meaning:
Belgrade, Belogradchik, Białogard, Biograd, Bilhorod,
Records first mention the
settlement in 1237, when the Mongol-led army of Batu Khan ravaged
it. It is unclear whether this Belgorod stood on the same site as
the current city. In 1596 Tsar Feodor Ioannovich of Russia ordered
its re-establishment as one of numerous forts set up to defend
Muscovy's Southern borders from the Crimean Tatars. In the 17th
century Belgorod suffered repeatedly from Tatar incursions, against
which Russia built (from 1633 to 1740) an earthen wall, with twelve
forts, extending upwards of 200 miles (320 kilometers) from the
Vorskla in the west to the Don in the east, and called the Belgorod
line. In 1666 the Moscow Patriarchate established an archiepiscopal
see in the town.
After the Russian border moved south
following successful wars against the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth
in the second half of the 17th century, the fortress fell into
disrepair; the town became part of the Kursk Governorate.
Tsar Peter the Great visited Belgorod on the eve of the Battle of
Poltava (1709). A dragoon regiment had its base in the town until
Ioasaph of Belgorod, an 18th-century bishop of Belgorod
and Oboyanska, became widely venerated as a miracle worker and was
glorified as a saint of the Russian Orthodox Church in 1911.
20th century Soviet power was established in the city on 26
October (November 8), 1917. On 10 April 1918, troops of the Imperial
German Army occupied Belgorod. After the conclusion of the
Brest-Litovsk peace treaty of 9 February 1918 the demarcation line
passed to the north of the city. Belgorod became part of the newly
proclaimed Ukrainian People's Republic (April to December 1918)
headed by Hetman Pavlo Skoropadskyi.
On 20 December 1918,
after the overthrow of German-backed Skoropadskyi, the Soviet Red
Army regained control over the city, which became part of the RSFSR.
From 24 December 1918 to 7 January 1919, the Provisional Workers'
and Peasants' Government of Ukraine, then led by General Georgy
Pyatakov, was based in Belgorod. The city served as the temporary
capital of the Ukrainian People's Republic. From 23 June to 7
December 1919 the Volunteer Army occupied the town as part of
White-controlled South Russia.
From September 1925 the
territorial 163rd Infantry Regiment of the 55th Infantry Division of
Kursk was stationed in Belgorod. In September 1939 it was deployed
to the 185th Infantry Division.
On 2 March 1935, the
Presidium of the Central Executive Committee of the Soviet Union
decided to allocate the city of Belgorod, Kursk region, into an
independent administrative unit directly subordinate to the Kursk
Regional Executive Committee.
The German Wehrmacht occupied
Belgorod from 25 October 1941 to 9 February 1943. The Germans
re-captured it on 18 March 1943 in the final move of the Third
Battle of Kharkov. On 12 July 1943, during the Battle of Kursk, the
largest tank battle in world history took place near Prokhorovka,
and Red Army definitively retook the city on 5/6 August 1943. The
Belgorod Diorama is one of the World War II monuments commemorating
In 1954 Belgorod became the administrative center
of Belgorod Oblast. From this time the rapid development of the city
as a regional center began.
Belgorod is an administrative,
industrial and cultural center of Belgorod Oblast, established in
1954. The major educational centers of the city are Belgorod State
University, the Belgorod Technological University, the Belgorod
Agrarian University, and the Financial Academy.
Drama Theater is named after the famous 19th-century actor, Mikhail
Shchepkin, who was born in this region.
On 22 April 2013, a
mass shooting occurred at approximately 2:20 PM Moscow time on a
street in Belgorod. The shooter, identified as 31-year-old Sergey
(Sergei) Pomazun (Russian: Сергей Помазун), opened fire with a
semi-automatic rifle on several people at a gun store and on a
sidewalk, killing all six people whom he hit: three people at the
store and three passers-by, including two teenage girls. Pomazun was
later apprehended after an extensive day-long manhunt; during his
arrest, he wounded a policeman with a knife. He was sentenced to
life in prison on 23 August 2013.
To Belgorod by plane Regular flights from Moscow and St. Petersburg. In
the summer, flights from Sochi and Simferopol are added.
Belgorod International Airport (IATA: EGO), prosp. Bogdan
Khmelnitsky, 166. ☎ +7 (4722) 235777. Open around the clock. The new
airport building was built in 2012. Inside on each floor there is a
small cafe “Aerocafe” with hot drinks and sandwiches. Coming out of
the airport building and passing 100 meters towards the city, the
Kukuruznik cafe works in the building of the airport hotel, where
you can already have a full meal, visitors, it seems, are praising.
Whether the hotel itself is unknown. 500 meters away - the Rio
shopping center is located with the only cafe - hipster burger
Getting there: The airport is located on the
northern outskirts of the city, 6 km from the center. You can get
there by trolleybus number 1, 4, 8, bus number 7, 15, 17, 25 or
minibuses. A taxi to the city center costs 150-200 rubles (2018).
To Belgorod by train From Moscow on the fast train "Day Express" can be
reached in 7 hours, regular trains go 9-11 hours. On the way, pass
Tula, Orel, Kursk.
Trains run from the following locations:
Nezhegol, Gotnya, Kursk, Naumovka.
From Ukraine by rail one
can only take long-distance trains from Krivoy Rog and
Dnepropetrovsk passing through Kharkov (2-3 trains a day late in the
evening); electric trains do not go.
2 Railway station, st.
Vokzalnaya, 1. ☎ 8 (800) 775-00-00. It consists of two buildings: in
the first one there is a luggage room, a waiting room, a snack bar,
souvenir shops, food stalls, and in the second building there are
suburban ticket offices. Getting there: At least 10 bus numbers
and several trolleybuses depart from the station square.
bus You can get from Moscow by bus, but it’s rather exhausting to
sit for 7–8 hours. It is mainly used by those who go to Moscow for
shopping at clothing markets.
You can also take a bus from
Orel, Kursk (3.5 hours), Voronezh (4 hours), Stary Oskol, Saratov,
3 Bus Station, B. Khmelnitsky Ave., 160. ☎ +7 (4722)
34–19–86. The old building of Soviet construction. There are several
shops, small cafes, ATMs.
To Belgorod by car From Moscow on the M2
(700 km). From Kharkov along the same route (80 km) through the
Goptovka-Nekhoteyevka border point. Crossing the border usually
takes from 40 minutes to 1.5 hours. During the season, time
increases by 2-3 times.
Transport around Belgorod
Urban transport in
Belgorod is represented by buses and trolleybuses, but if you just
walk around the center, seeing the sights, you most likely will not
need them: about twenty minutes on foot from the station to the far
edge of the center. The cost of payment is 15 rubles (2018), the
entrance to the rear doors, exit through the front with payment to
Online taxi order is available from Yandex.Taxi
and City Taxi (+7 (4722) 710-710). In addition, they can be ordered
by phone. +7 (4722) 510-510 and inexpensive taxi 555-555.