Hotels, motels and where to sleep
Restaurant, taverns and where to eat
Cultural (and not so cultural) events
Interesting information and useful tips
Description of Belozersk
Belozersk (literally "white lake") is located in the northwestern part of
the Vologda region on the southern shore of White Lake. The
administrative center of Belozersky municipal district, the port on
the Volga-Baltic channel.
Travel Destinations in Belozersk
The town of Belozersk is classified as a
historical town by the Ministry of Culture of Russia, which implies
certain restrictions on construction in the historical center.
The medieval monuments in the town center are the Assumption
Church (1552) and the Transfiguration Cathedral (1668). The wooden
shrine of St. Elijah was built in 1690. The neighborhood is rich in
old cloisters, such as Kirillo-Belozersky and Ferapontov
Two of the most famous medieval icons were
created in the 13th century in Belozersk: the Virgin of the White
Lake and Saints Peter and Paul. They constitute an intermediate
style between Novgorodian and Northern icon painting.
Belozersky Local Museum located in Belozersk is an umbrella
organization which not only hosts ethnographic and historical
exhibits, but also manages the most important architectural
monuments in Belozersk such as the Transfiguration Cathedral.
Known as Beloozero (Белоо́зеро, lit. white lake) until 1777, it
was first chronicled in 862 as one of the five original Russian
towns (the other four being Murom, Novgorod, Polotsk, and Rostov).
According to the Primary Chronicle, Sineus, a brother of Rurik,
became the prince of Beloozero in 862. However, Sineus most likely
never existed. On several occasions, the settlement was moved from
one bank of the lake to another.
In the 11th century, the
region was still inhabited primarily by Finno-Ugric tribes who
fiercely resisted Christianization. In 1071, local pagan priests
rose in rebellion, which was put down by the Kievan commander Yan
Vyshatich. The Primary Chronicle reports that the dead bodies of
priests were suspended from an oak tree, until they were torn to
pieces by a bear (regarded by pagans as a holy animal). From the
10th to the 13th centuries, the territory was controlled by the
Novgorod Republic. Beloozero was the seat of a small principality
between 1238 and the 1370s, but subsequently between 1380 and 1384
became subordinate to the Grand Duchy of Moscow. On July 10, 1612,
Polish and Lithuanian vagabonds (Lisowczycy) captured Belozersk
without a fight, looting the town.
In the course of the
administrative reform carried out in 1708 by Peter the Great,
Beloozero was included into Ingermanland Governorate (known since
1710 as Saint Petersburg Governorate) and named one of the towns
constituting the governorate. In 1727, a separate Novgorod
Governorate was split off and Belozersk became the seat of Belozersk
Province in Novgorod Governorate. In 1776, the territory was
transferred to Novgorod Viceroyalty. In 1796, the viceroyalty was
abolished and Belozersky Uyezd became a part of Novgorod
In June 1918, five uyezds of Novgorod
Governorate, including Belozersky Uyezd, were split off to form
Cherepovets Governorate, with the administrative center in
Cherepovets. On August 1, 1927, Cherepovets Governorate was
abolished and its territory became Cherepovets Okrug of Leningrad
Oblast. At the same time, uyezds were abolished and Belozersky
District was established. On September 23, 1937, Belozersky District
was transferred to newly established Vologda Oblast.
The city of Belozersk, as well as the entire Vologda Oblast, is
located in the time zone designated by the international standard as
Moscow Time Zone (MSK / MSD). The offset from UTC is +3: 00 (MSK).
Belozersk is connected by all-seasonal roads with Cherepovets,
Kirillov, and Lipin Bor (connecting further to Vytegra). There are
also local roads.
The Belozersky Canal, a part of the
Volga–Baltic Waterway (formerly known as the Mariinsk Canal System),
which connects the river courses of the Sheksna and the Kovzha, runs
through Belozersk, bypassing Lake Beloye from the south.