Gdov is located in the northern part of the Pskov
region. Small, heavily damaged in the war and almost devoid of
attractions, the city is the largest settlement in the vicinity of
Lake Peipsi, so when traveling through the local marshes it is
possible to avoid. In Gdov itself there are ruins of an ancient
fortress and a church restored from scratch, made in the best
traditions of Pskov architecture. Also, the tank of the Second World
War, located at the park "Victory". Several merchant mansions of the
XIX century, shopping arcades. Alley "Sighs" and the old bridges.
Formally, Gdov enters the border zone, and a pass is required to
visit the city. In fact, however, there are no border posts;
documents are not checked.
Travel Destinations in Gbov
1 Gdovskaya fortress. The fortress was almost completely
destroyed in World War II. Low, unimpressive ramparts with fragments
of stone fortifications have been preserved. The greatest interest
is located in the fortress 2 Cathedral of Our Lady of Power.
(1540, destroyed in 1944 and restored in the 90s of the 20th
century) is an excellent example of Pskov architecture. 3 Bust
P.P. Konovnitsyna. Historical urban buildings are few and focused
on Karl Marx Street. 4 Museum of the history of the region, st.
Karl Marx, 31
History of Gdov
It was first mentioned in the beginning of the 14th century, as
an outpost guarding the city of Pskov. Between 1431 and 1434,
Pskovians built a fortress there, the remains of which can still be
seen. It was attacked on numerous occasions by Swedes and Poles
(e.g., during the Russo–Swedish War (1590–1595) and the Ingrian
War), captured by Swedes in 1614, but was finally returned to Russia
in 1617 according to the Treaty of Stolbovo.
In the course of
the administrative reform carried out in 1708 by Peter the Great,
Gdov was included into Ingermanland Governorate (known since 1710 as
Saint Petersburg Governorate). Gdov was mentioned as one of the
towns into which the governorate was divided. In 1780, Gdov was
granted town status; its coat of arms was granted on May 28, 1781.
Between 1874 and 1912, Gdov issued Zemstvo stamps. The first stamp,
worth two kopecks, appeared on April 16, 1874. Stamp production
ceased, however, with the coming of World War I. In 1919, Gdov was
an area where important events of the Russian Civil War and the
Estonian War of Independence were taking place. Originally, the area
east of Lake Peipus was under control of the revolutionary
government. On May 15, 1919, the detachment under command of
Stanisław Bułak-Bałachowicz (subordinate to General Aleksandr
Rodzyanko) captured Gdov and the whole uyezd thus came under control
by the White Army troops of Nikolai Yudenich. In November 1919, the
Red Army recaptured Gdov.
On August 1, 1927, the uyezds and governorates were abolished and
Gdovsky District, with the administrative center in Gdov, was
established as a part of Luga Okrug of Leningrad Oblast. It included
parts of former Gdovsky Uyezd. On July 23, 1930, the okrugs were
also abolished and the districts were directly subordinated to the
oblast. Between March 22, 1935 and September 19, 1940, Gdovsky
District was a part of the restored Pskov Okrug of Leningrad Oblast,
one of the okrugs abutting the state boundaries of the Soviet Union.
Between July 19, 1941 and February 4, 1944, Gdov was occupied by
German troops. The town was seriously damaged during the war but
partially restored afterwards. On August 23, 1944, the district was
transferred to newly established Pskov Oblast.
How to get there 1 Railway station, Vokzalnoe highway. The
station is located on the eastern outskirts of Gdov, a kilometer
from the city center. A branch from the town of Slantsy of the
Leningrad Region comes here, but since the end of 2012, passenger
trains have not run on it, and it is unclear whether they will ever
walk again. The train from St. Petersburg to Shale is still there,
then you can go by bus. 2 Bus station, st. Nikitin (in the
center). ☎ +7 (81131) 2-14-97. The only bus St. Petersburg — Pskov
(which is a special bus going through Slantsy and Kingisepp) passes
through Gdov: everyone else travels in a straight line through
Luga), and several times a day there are minibuses to Pskov (2
hours) and Petersburg (4 5 h) - perhaps it is even official buses,
and not minibuses. In St. Petersburg, departure from the central bus
station or Ligovsky Prospect metro station, check on the website or
by phone: +7 (921) 001-55-89, +7 (931) 901-00-10. If you have
already reached the city of Slantsy, then you can use a pair of
additional buses, which, however, are not connected with the train.
By car, on the P60 road, 120 km from Pskov, 234 km from St.
Petersburg through Slantsy (50 km) and Kingisepp (100 km).