Kirsanov, Russia

Kirsanov is a city (since 1779) of regional subordination in the Tambov region of Russia, the administrative center of the Kirsanovsky district, which is not included, being an administrative-territorial unit of a city of regional significance, forming the city district of the same name, the city of Kirsanov.

It is located on the right-bank slope of the Vorona river valley (Don basin), at the confluence of the Pursovka river, 95 km east of Tambov. Railway station on the Michurinsk - Rtischevo line of the South-Eastern railway, the Tambov - Saratov highway.



1  Stone Rows, Sovetskaya Street, 28/1 and 28/2 (between 50 Let Pobedy and Krasnoarmeyskaya streets, next to Revolution Square). Shopping arcades. Originally there was a fairground. The stone version was built in the mid-19th century. They work as intended.
2  Monument “Glory to Labor”, corner of Krasnoarmeyskaya and Sovetskaya streets.
3  Tikhvin Monastery, Raboche-Krestyanskaya st. 77 (corner of International Street). Nearby is a large red-brick hospital building from the early 20th century.
4  Church of Cosmas and Damian, Pushkinskaya st. 56a. Murals from the beginning of the 20th century.
5  Sosulnikov House, Sovetskaya st. 46 (corner of Gorky St.). The most beautiful in a row of one-story Kirsanov buildings.
6  House of merchant Alipov, Sovetskaya st. 12 (corner of Uritsky street). A two-story building with red and white decor typical of the Tambov region.
7  Men’s gymnasium building, st. 50 Let Pobedy, 33. The large brick-style building is notable, among other things, for the fact that Alexander Antonov, the instigator and main organizer of the Tambov uprising, studied there. Across the road is the only mansion in the city in the classicist style with the Soviet coat of arms successfully inscribed on the facade.



As two hundred years ago, the main trade is concentrated in the city center, around the Stone shopping arcades: Revolution Square, the square of Sovetskaya, Raboche-Krestyanskaya, 50 Let Pobeda and Krasnoarmeyskaya streets; there are supermarkets, many small shops, and market pavilions.



1  Art-cafe MIX  , Sovetskaya st. 28 (Stone rows).
2  Cafe “North”  , pl. Revolutions, 4. 10:00–24:00.



Kirsanov was first mentioned in 1702 as a village at the Krasinsky ironworks; The first settler, according to legend, was a native of the village of Ustye, Kirsan (Khrisan) Zubahin, who gave the name to Kirsanov. In 1733, the factory burned down and the village was transferred to the palace department. Since 1779, Kirsanov has been established as a district town of the Tambov governorship (since 1796 - Tambov province).

In the 19th century, Kirsanov was a city of merchants and townspeople, the center of a vast agricultural region. At the beginning of the 19th century. A city development plan was approved, consisting of 16 streets intersecting at an angle of 90 degrees and forming 32 rectangular blocks with a shopping area in the city center. A significant impetus for development was the construction of a section of the Ryazan-Ural railway Tambov-Umet in 1870 through Kirsanov and the extension of the road to Saratov in 1871.

By the beginning of the 20th century, the city had become a local center for trade in bread and other agricultural products, there was an elevator, a small iron foundry, a candle-wax and wax factory, a lard-making plant, a soap factory, wool washing plants, and two fairs were held - Tikhvinskaya (June) and Krestovozdvizhenskaya (September); There were also a women's gymnasium, two city schools, several lower schools, an outpatient clinic, a veterinary center, a zemstvo and private pharmacies, five churches, the Kirsanovsky Tikhvin-Bogoroditsky convent, and an almshouse named after Sosulnikov.

In general, Kirsanov remained a pre-industrial city, where officials, other employees, nobles, military men, clergy, and peasants prevailed over townspeople employed in modern sectors of the economy.

In May 1917, in the city of Kirsanov, the local government was overthrown and the Kirsanov Republic was formed, led by Trunin Alexander Kuzmichev, which lasted until June 14 of the same year.

In 1920-1921, Kirsanovsky district was one of the centers of the peasant uprising in the Tambov province (often called “Antonovshchina” in honor of A. S. Antonov, who led the uprising, who spent his childhood and youth with his parents in Kirsanov, and in 1919 served as chief Kirsanovsky district police).

In the 1920s - 1930s, new enterprises of the national industry were built: a creamery, a poultry plant, an elevator, a vegetable canning plant; to service them, a foundry and mechanical plant was built, which also satisfies the needs of railway transport, and tractor workshops with repair and mechanical production serve agriculture Kirsanovsky and neighboring areas. By 1936, more than 1,000 people were employed in the city's industry. By 1939, there were five secondary schools in the city, including four secondary schools, a pedagogical school, a pedagogical faculty of a university, a technical school, a nursing school, a music school and many clubs. A district house of culture, two cinemas, clubs, a local history museum, 9 libraries were opened in the city, the district newspaper “Kirsanovskaya Kommuna” was published, and an amateur folk theater operated. And by this year the population reached about 13,700 people.

During the Great Patriotic War, the Gomel Military Infantry School was located in Kirsanov.



1  Irskaya commune, Kirsanovsky district, Leninskoye village. ☎ Museum: +7 (47537) 6-82-88. Wooden buildings from the 1930s, built for an international commune modeled after the first years of Soviet power (every year fewer of them remain). Power station.
2  Sofinka. In the village of Sofinka in the neighboring Umetsky district there was the Mara estate, which belonged to the Baratynsky family. The most famous representative of this family, the poet Evgeny Baratynsky (1800-1844), grew up here and then visited here several times. Nothing remains of the Baratynsky estate except a few family graves, but nearby there is a solid house built by the landowner Markov, who owned the estate in the second half of the 19th century. This is a beautiful and surprisingly well-preserved eclectic mansion.
3  Trinity Church in Orzhevka. A wooden church in the Russian-Byzantine style characteristic of the Tambov region. It dates back to 1728, but was actually rebuilt in 1882. In the same village there is a not very interesting ruin of a stone Trinity Church (1789), and a high bell tower to the east marks the site of the former Orzhevsky Tisheninovsky Monastery, founded in the 1860s at the expense of local landowners - such things have happened in these parts.
4  Church of the Intercession in Gavrilovka. It’s hard to believe, but the village of Gavrilovka (for some reason the 2nd) on the road to Penza is an entire regional center, “heading” a large area of endless Tambov fields. The only historical building is a five-domed church, extremely provincial in style (1899-1905), the walls of which are decorated with stone carvings reminiscent of the best civil buildings of Kirsanov.
Church of the Intercession in Ira, Kirsanovsky district, village of Ira (turn off the P-208 highway and go either through Gavrilovka Pervaya and Surki, or through Leninskoye; or from the A-298 highway near Kirsanov, turn onto Ovsyanovskaya road, then at Leninsky turn onto Ira) . The small stone temple was built in 1896, was almost destroyed in Soviet times, has now been restored and is an amazing combination of a new huge bright blue capromantic dome on top of the old red brick walls.