Novozybkov is a city since 1809 in the south-west
of the Bryansk region of Russia, the administrative center of the
Novozybkovsky district, forming the administrative unit and the
municipal formation of the city of Novozybkov with the status of a
Sloboda Zhybkaya For the first time it is mentioned
as a settlement Zybkaya in the universal of Starodubsky colonel
Mikhail Miklashevsky dated September 12, 1701. The main part of the
inhabitants of the settlement Zybkoy were Old Believers (Russian
Orthodox Christian movement), who
resettled from the central regions of the country. Throughout the
history of the city, Old Believers played a prominent role in the
life and development of the city of Novozybkov. The main activity of
the inhabitants in the XVII - first half of the XVIII century was
the production of ropes, handicraft production, jewelry. In
1708-1709 The townspeople, together with the population of the
surrounding settlements and cities, participated in repelling the
invasion of Swedish troops. Since 1781, the settlement entered the
County town In 1808, Zybkaya became
the center of Novozybkovsky district, developing other nearby
settlements, in 1809 officially received the modern name and status
of the city as part of the Chernigov province.
Patriotic War of 1812, the Novozybkov detachment of the Chernihiv
militia of about 2,000 men was formed, which participated in the
battles as part of the Bryansk-Chernihiv militia, corps S. L. Ratt,
M. B. Barclay de Tolly. In 1822 a county school appeared as a city.
In 1864, the first match factory appeared in the city,
subsequently the number of factories and plants of this profile in
the city and its environs reached 10, the production of goods was
approximately 250–300 million boxes per year. In 1876 a telegraph
line connected Novozybkov and Klintsy. In 1879, the Zemstvo Public
Library was founded. Through the efforts of the public and
individuals, such educational institutions as a real school (1875),
a female gymnasium (1880), and an agricultural technical school
(1900) were created. In 1887 a railway station appeared on the road,
which connected Novozybkov with Bryansk, Gomel, Novgorod-Seversky.
By the early 1900s. Novozybkov became the country's largest
producer of important household products. The number of industrial
enterprises has steadily increased.
In 1919, Novozybkov
became part of the Gomel province.