Hotels, motels and where to sleep
Restaurant, taverns and where to eat
Cultural (and not so cultural) events
Interesting information and useful tips
Description of Ostrov
Ostrov (literally "island" in Russian) is located
in the Pskov region on the banks of the Great River. The center of
the city is located, as you might guess, on the island, which is
connected to the shores of chain bridges built in the middle of the
XIX century - the oldest surviving in Russia. There is also a
traditional Pskov church, as well as fragments of quite decent,
although in a pitiful state of urban development.
stands on the Great River. This is the rare case in Russia, when in
the middle of the river (between the Great One and its channel
Slobozhiha) an island was found suitable for building a fortress.
The first chronicle mention refers to the year 1341, and it seems
that before the absorption of the Pskov lands by Moscow, there was a
completely independent city here that had its own posadnik and
veche. The fortress in and on the island is built in the XIV-XVI
centuries. However, no trace of it has been preserved except for
muffled fragments of stonework and a remarkable temple made in the
best traditions of Pskov architecture.
Even after the unsuccessful Livonian War, the Ostrov remained
part of Russia. At the beginning of the 18th century, the border
shifted to the west, and the Island from the border fortress became
just a district town, but did not lose its significance: there was a
main ferry across the Great on the road that went from Petersburg to
Poland and Lithuania. Later the Petersburg-Warsaw railway, one of
the first in the Russian Empire, was built along the same route.
However, before the construction of the railway in Ostrov, chain
bridges appeared. According to legend, Nicholas I more than once
complained about the disgusting condition of the ferry and ordered
to build stationary bridges in the Ostrov, which was done in 1853,
and the emperor who arrived at the opening was satisfied with the
bridges. The inhabitants of the Ostrov are pleased with them so
far, since it is easy, convenient and beautiful to cross the river
over such bridges. Moreover, the second such attraction is not found
anywhere else in Russia.
Not only the bridges, but also some
of the pre-revolutionary buildings — the estate of Neklyudov or the
neo-gothic real school — are monuments far from the county level,
showing that at the beginning of the 20th century the Island was a
large and significant city, head and shoulders superior to some
Porkhov, not to mention Opochka or Pechorah. The decline began with
the destruction of the Great Patriotic War, and the border position
of the city in the recent period does not give him any advantages:
traffic on the former St. Petersburg-Warsaw road is now minimal. The
food industry is working in Ostrov, electric motor production is
warming up, military camps are preserved. In Soviet times, missile
units, air defense, and aircraft were deployed at the Ostrov.
Many of them still exist as separate neighborhoods (Island-2,
Island-3), located outside the city.
Travel Destinations in Ostrov
The central square (Klava Nazarova, in the past of
the Victims of the Revolution) is located near the Velikaya River in
the place where the chain bridge is moved across the island to the
island and from there the next bridge is on the opposite, left bank.
On the right bank of the street passes October 25, where the highest
concentration of historic buildings. Perpendicular to the river is
Karl Marx Street, leading to the postal station and bus station, and
another interesting street - Liberation - is actually outside the
center (up and to the left from the square), but also deserves
attention, since there are a Lutheran church and several other
historic buildings .
The left bank of the Great is mainly
occupied with private buildings. However, this is where the manor
Neklyudova is located - one of the most beautiful island buildings.
1 Chain Bridges. Connect the central square with the island and
the left bank of the Great. The length of each of the bridges is 94
m. This is a masterpiece of engineering of the mid-19th century —
the period when large structures were just starting to be made of
cast iron, and many technical solutions were new. The bridges were
opened in 1853 (the emperor himself came to the opening), and in
those times they were one of the largest chain bridges in the
Russian Empire. From one of them you can see a fragment of masonry
lying in the river - the last thing left of the island fortress (a
piece of the wall from which the Germans tried to build a dam during
2 Church of St. Nicholas (on the island). The classical
Pskov church built in 1542. Initially, it had a square building with
a single dome, but after only 10-15 years, a symmetrical chapel with
the same roof slope and one more dome added to it, giving the church
its modern “nested doll” look. The bell tower dates from the 19th
century. The altar of the church faces north, but no one really
knows why. According to one version, this emphasizes the
subordination of the Island to Pskov. However, it is more likely
that in the 16th century a tiny island was cramped for a fortress,
so they built where there was a place, despite the canons. The best
view of the church opens from the opposite bank, from the central
square. Inside, like many churches of Pskov, cramped and not so
3 Trinity Cathedral, pl. Klava Nazarova. A good
monument at the junction of Baroque and Classicism (1786), whose
value is not so much in the architecture of the building as in its
remarkable location: the cathedral is located in the perspective of
several streets (October 25 and Karl Marx), and therefore visible
from many points of the city and even from the left bank of the
Great, while the church of St. Nicholas is completely hidden by
trees. Pay attention also to the details of the design, cast-iron
porch and luxurious carved doors.
4 Monument to Klava Nazarova,
pl. Klava Nazarova. Organizer and leader of the underground Komsomol
organization of the city of Ostrov. Helped the partisans, rescued
prisoners of war, almost 1.5 years successfully hiding from the
Germans. Hung on the central square December 12, 1942, the monument
was erected on May 19, 1963.
5 Church of the Women of Mironosits, st.
Osvobozhdeniya-Liberation (city cemetery). Ordinary cemetery church
6 Kirkha St. John, st. Osvobozhdeniya-Liberation, 19.
Built in 1905 for the local Lutheran community. The national
composition of this community is unknown, but the considerable size
of the building and its impeccable Romanesque style indicate its
importance. After the revolution, the church, like the Orthodox
churches, was nationalized and belonged to various organizations, as
a result of which it lost its central tower and other design
details. The building was not handed over to believers due to their
absence (the district investigative committee is located inside),
but even the remaining part is impressive. The former Polish church
(Liberation Street, 14) on the opposite side of the street, 100
meters in the direction of the station, is in much worse condition:
there are only walls close to collapse, but the scale of the
building is also impressive.
7 Post Yamskaya station, st. Karl
Marx, 9 (on the way to the bus station). One of the surviving postal
stations, built in 1840 according to a standard design for the St.
Petersburg – Kiev road: a one-story house with large, rounded up
windows. A curious memorial plaque dedicated to Pushkin and
reporting that the Island "was the last city on the poet's tragic
path in 1837."
8 Manor Neklyudova-Valuev, st. Schkolnaya, 30
(left bank of the Great, from the chain bridges along the coast to
the right). The construction of this manor island is due to the
influential noble family of the Valuyevs. Only the main house, built
in 1764, survived - possibly with the participation of Rastrelli.
This version is not confirmed by anything, but it is absolutely
impossible to believe that such a building appeared without the
participation of metropolitan architects. Perestroika XIX-XX
centuries. made most of the house quite ordinary, but the surviving
side facade strikes no less than chain bridges: there are few such
perfect examples of classicism in Russia.
9 Simansky Spaso-Kazan
Convent, st. Malaya Pionerskaya (left bank of the Great, from the
chain bridges to the left). The monastery has a rather unusual
history. It originated on the site of the Simansky estate (where its
name comes from) - a noble family from which Patriarch Alexy I
descended. ) in 1896 bequeathed to create a monastery on the estate,
which was done. Despite the connection of the monastery with the
patriarch officially recognized by the Soviet authorities, after the
war the monastery lay in ruins, but now it has been fully restored
and looks especially beautiful on a clear day when viewed from
Victory Park. The Church of the Savior can be considered
conditionally preserved, the wooden church of John of Kronstadt was
built from scratch. In the monastery is the museum of Alexy I,
which, however, never lived here.
City building is not very well preserved, but still preserved.
The most interesting is the street on October 25 between the chain
bridges and the road bridge across the Great. Here you will see the
building of a real school (31 October street, 31) 10 - a
three-storey neo-gothic mansion of almost metropolitan type,
colorful stone barns 11 on the bank of the river (one of them was
altered into the Ostrov-Park Hotel, but it is clearly visible from
the river , what this building was in the past life), as well as an
artifact of the Soviet era - a monument to Pavlik Morozov 12 in
front of the correctional school (ul. 25 Octobrya, 51), which in
itself is symbolic. In other parts of the city, pre-revolutionary
houses are preserved in single copies, their full list is here.
Monument to Lenin, Victory Park. Lenin holds his hand so that
quite often put empty bottles on it
How to get there
Passenger traffic ceased in 2015,
after which the old train station finally turned into a monument of
1 Element Wikidannaya Railway Station, st.
Liberation, 84. The building of the station (1860) has survived
since the construction of the Petersburg-Warsaw railway. Located 3
km from the city center, can be reached on foot, although the road
there is boring and unpleasant. There are city buses number 1, 2, 5.
The island is the first major stop of buses traveling
from Pskov in a southerly direction: there are both intra-regional
routes (Opochka, Velikie Luki, Nevel, Sebezh) and passing buses from
St. Petersburg. Departures to Pskov every 30-60 minutes, travel time
is 1 hour. The journey from the Pushkin Mountains takes just over an
hour, so it’s easy to explore the island on the way to the Pushkin
In Izborsk, Pechora or Porkhov - only with a
transfer in Pskov.
Direct communication with Latvia - buses
on Rezekne (2 times a week), Vilnius-Kaunas via Rezekne (2 times a
week) and Novgorod — Riga (also 2 times a week) via Gulbene, Balvi.
2 Bus station, st. Suburban, 7. ☎ +7 (81152) 3-27-58. Open: 24
hour. Located on the northern border of the city, 2 km from the
center. After making this journey on foot, you will see the old post
station, but you can also neglect it, after passing a couple of
stops by city buses No. 4, 5. The building of the bus station is new
and clean, there are indoor plants and many metal chairs inside.
There is a cafe (8:00 - 20:00) with a couple of tables, salads, as
well as a rich assortment of pastries and pastries. Tea from plastic
cups, brewed coffee is missing.
The island stands at the fork in the M20 and the A116
road leaving for Latvia. From Pskov 50 km, from Opochka 77 km, from
the Pushkin Mountains 58 km. From Porkhov 90 km mostly unpaved road
of average quality. If you are coming from Latvia, then Ostrov will
be the first Russian city on your way (Pytalovo is located away from
the road), 115 km from Rezekne.
Four city bus
routes that are needed mainly to travel from the bus station or the
railway station to the center and back. Interval of movement: from
an hour and above.
Taxi: +7 (81152) 3-13-13, +7 (81152)