Hotels, motels and where to sleep
Restaurant, taverns and where to eat
Cultural (and not so cultural) events
Interesting information and useful tips
Petrozavodsk is a city in northwestern Russia, the
capital of the Republic of Karelia. It is the administrative center
of Prionezhsky district and forms Petrozavodsk urban district. April
6, 2015 awarded the honorary title of the Russian Federation "City
of Military Glory."
Travel Destinations in Petrozavodsk
Lenin Avenue is the main street of Petrozavodsk
with a large number of restaurants, cafes and shops. The main
administrative buildings are located on Lenin Avenue, as well as
various architectural monuments. Lenin Avenue stretches from the
railway station and Gagarin Square (above, in the west) to the
embankment of Lake Onega (below, in the east). The green embankment
of impressive length is remarkable for the coordinated composition
of the monuments, the presence of a restaurant and cultural and
entertainment centers. Karl Marx Avenue, connecting the areas of
Kirov and Lenin, famous for its architectural ensembles XVIII - XIX
centuries and 1950s.
City embankment (Onezhskaya embankment). Pedestrian street along
the shore of Petrozavodsk Bay of Lake Onega. Sculptures donated by
the twin cities are set along the street.
Monument to Peter I,
Petrovsky Square. The monument to the first Russian emperor Peter I
by sculptor Ivan Nikolaevich Schroeder and architect Hippolyt
Antonovich Monigetti opened in 1873.
Park of Culture and Rest
(Former Petrovsky Garden, Summer Garden). The oldest park in Russia,
founded in 1703. The park has a monument to the Petrovsky Plant,
there are many attractions, there are quite new ones, as well as a
The quarter of the historical building is
bounded by the bank of the Neglinka River, the streets of Kuybyshev,
Fedosova and Malaya Slobodskaya. A couple of quarters with stone and
wooden historic houses almost on the shores of Lake Onega. The
formation of this area began as early as the 1970s, and in the
course of its development, several dozen houses, destined for
demolition, were transported here from other areas of the city.
Catherine's Church, Volnaya Street, 1. A wooden church in the style
of provincial classicism was built in 1878 at the expense of local
entrepreneurs. In Soviet times, the temple was closed only during
the war and successfully existed until the 2000s, when its
restoration was carried out. The fire of 2012 damaged the building,
but in 2013 the services began again. The church stands on the
Neglinsky cemetery, which arose in 1877 at the site of the abolished
Old Believers. To the west of the fence Neglinsky cemetery located
Jewish cemetery, existing since the beginning of the XIX century.
Lenin Square (formerly Round Square). Wikidan Element Despite its
more than trivial name, the square represents a nice architectural
ensemble in the style of Russian provincial classicism and is a
historical and architectural monument of federal significance. The
memorial complex "Mass grave and the grave of the Unknown Soldier
with the Eternal Flame" is located in the south-east of the square.
Kirov Square. On the square there is a square and several buildings
of architectural monuments of the XVIII - XIX centuries. It is also
the venue for major city events and celebrations. At the beginning
of the 20th century all four main churches of the city were
concentrated here, there was a monument to the emperor, all of them
were destroyed by 1936. Following this, a monument to the Bolshevik
Sergei Mironovich Kirov and the building of the Musical Theater were
built on the square and still stand, the building of the Finnish
theater was reconstructed. In addition, urban buildings between
Kirov and Lenin squares are included in the list of architectural
monuments, as an example of ensemble buildings of the 1950s. Here
(along Karl Marx Avenue) there are three city parks and a boulevard,
making this part of the city one of the most pleasant for walking in
Governor's Park. It was formed in 1917 after the merger
of two private gardens: the garden of the mountain commander (the
end of the 18th century) and the Governor’s garden (the 1840s). In
the center of the park, a monument to the poet and the first Olonets
governor, Gavriil Romanovich Derzhavin, was erected.
Nevsky Cathedral. The construction of the cathedral was carried out
according to the project of architect Alexander Ivanovich Postnikov
under the supervision of engineer Pietro Carlo Madeni in 1826-1832.
The icons were written by the artist A. S. Chizhov. Built on
donations by the craftsmen of the Alexander Plant.
with open-pit lake. A small park in the city center. Previously,
there was a stone quarry, and now it is filled with water.
Archeological discoveries in the urban area indicate the presence
of a settlement as far back as seven thousand years ago, and during
the Middle Ages the site of modern city was marked by several
lakeside villages. Within the city limits, the district of
Solomennoje appears in surviving records dating back to the
sixteenth century, and a map produced by the Flemish cartographer
Abraham Ortelius at the end of that century places a settlement here
called Onegaborg on the site of modern Petrozavodsk.
September 11, 1703, Prince Menshikov founded the settlement of
Petrovskaya Sloboda ("Petrine Sloboda"). He did so at the behest of
Tsar Peter the Great, who needed a new iron foundry to manufacture
cannons and anchors for the Baltic Fleet at the time of the Great
Northern War (1700–1721). At first the foundry used the name Shuysky
zavod (literally, "factory at the Shuya River"), but a decade later
it became Petrovsky zavod ("Petrine factory"), after the name of the
reigning monarch. From this form the present name of the city
By 1717, Petrovskaya Sloboda had grown into the
largest settlement in Karelia, with about 3,500 inhabitants, a
timber fort, a covered market, and miniature palaces of the Tsar and
Menshikov. The town's best-known landmark became the wooden church
of Saints Peter and Paul, rebuilt in 1772 and renovated in 1789. The
church retained its original iconostasis until this relic of Peter's
reign was destroyed by fire on October 30, 1924.
Peter's death, Petrovskaya Sloboda became depopulated and the
factory declined. It closed down in 1734, although foreign
industrialists maintained copper factories in the vicinity.
The industry revived in 1773 when Catherine the Great established a
new iron foundry upstream the Lososinka River. Designed to provide
cannons for the ongoing Russo-Turkish Wars, the foundry was named
Alexandrovsky, after Alexander Nevsky, who was considered a patron
saint of the region. The factory was modernized and expanded under
supervision of Charles Gascoigne in 1787–96. Local pundits claim
that the first railway in the world (чугунный колесопровод) was
inaugurated for industrial uses of the Alexandrovsky foundry in
During Catherine's municipal reform of 1777,
Petrovskaya Sloboda was incorporated as a town, whereupon its name
was changed to Petrozavodsk. A new Neoclassical city center was then
built, focused on the newly planned Round Square. In 1784
Petrozavodsk was large enough to supplant Olonets as the
administrative center of the region. Although Emperor Paul abolished
Olonets Governorate, it was revived as a separate guberniya in 1801,
with Petrozavodsk as its administrative center.
Finnish military administration of East Karelia in the Continuation
War (1941–1944), the city was styled as Äänislinna (or Ääneslinna),
rather than the traditional Petroskoi. The new name was a literal
translation of Onegaborg, the name of a settlement marked on a
16th-century map by Abraham Ortelius near the present-day city,
Ääninen being the Finnish toponym for Lake Onega.
Petrozavodsk was the epicenter of what is called the Petrozavodsk
1 Petrozavodsk Airport Besovets. (PES IATA) is small
and is located 12 km outside the city. As of January 2014, the only
flight is from Moscow 5 times a week (except Wednesdays and
Saturdays). Price is 6000 RUB. Airport is connected with the city by
bus 117V, which only runs once, when the flight arrives and departs.
If you miss this bus, to get on another you'll have to walk 1,5km
south to Petrozavodsk - Suoyarvi highway, where there are buses to
Petrozavodsk approximately every 45 minutes.
The city is
easily reached by train from Saint Petersburg. There are both day
and night trains leaving from Ladozhsky station, a second class
sleeper ticket will set you back about 1100 RUB. The Lastochka
Premium train takes just under five hours while most other trains
have a travel time of 7-8 hours. Moscow is 16 hours away on a
over-night service, trains depart from the Leningradsky station with
second class tickets costing from 2200 RUB. All trains bound for
Murmansk makes stop-overs here so there are long-distance
connections with Kaliningrad (44 h), Kiev (41 h), Minsk (24 h) and
seasonal trains from Black Sea resorts as Sochi (55 h) which serves
mostly tourists travelling home. Slow regional trains also connects
with various smaller cities in Karelia such as Kostomuksha (13 h)
and Suoyarvi (4 h). 2 Petrozavodsk railway station
(Петрозаводск-Пасс) is located on ul. Gagarina, just west of the
There are bus services from Saint Petersburg
daily with Avokzal and an international connection from Helsinki
with Incoming Finland on Fridays and Sundays. Buses departs from the
railway station at 7AM and arrives in Petrozavodsk at 8:30PM. There
is also a bus service from Tampere leaving the railway station at
8PM each Monday and Friday and arriving 8:30PM. A one-way ticket
costs €40, return €75. Cheaper tickets are available with Savonlinja
which has services from Joensuu for as cheap as €13.
Petrozavodsk is along the M18-RUS.svg highway, also known as Kola
Highway which links Saint Petersburg and Murmansk. The road is
mostly in good condition but expect long driving distances and few
gas stations along the way.
The town has a
moderate size. Center is easily walkable. A taxi anywhere in town
costs 100 Rubles or less. Buses run frequently along the major
The railway station is located at the southern end of
Leninsky Prospekt, which cuts through the center of town all the way
to the embankment on Lake Onego. It is about a 30 minute walk from
the station to the lake.
Hotel Karelia, Gulling Embankment 2 (Northeast of the railway
station, about a 45 minute walk or 10 minute bus ride), ☎ +7 8142
733-333, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. A new well-run hotel with
several amenities, including gym, spa, restaurant, and a helpful
tourism department that runs tours to Kizhi. Part of the Best
Eastern Hotels group.
Hotel Fregat, Prospekt Karla Marxa 1a (On
the lake side of the ferry terminal building), ☎ +7 8142 774-853, +7
8142 764-162, fax: +7 8142 764-163, e-mail: email@example.com. A
small but clean hotel close to the ferry dock. Good for early risers
who want to catch the first boat to Kizhi in the morning. It is a
little hard to find; the door faces the lake, not the street, and
one must ring the bell to be admitted, then the reception desk is up
Hotel Severnaya, Prospekt Lenina 21 (Halfway between
the railway station and the lake, about a 15 minute walk from the
station), ☎ +7 8142 762-080, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
An older but decently-maintained hotel in the downtown area, closer
to the railway station than the other hotels. Part of the Intourist
Hotels group. From R700 per night.
Hotel ONEGO. Small hotel on a
boat, 300 m walk to the right from the ferry dock, then across a
small bridge, near hotel Karelia (by car) R 900 per night for a
single (4 rooms share 2 baths), pleasant and clean, 24 hours.
Finland Finland, 25 Gogolya St., ☎
+7 (8142) 555-025, +7 8142 761-564, +7 8142 766-208 (common), +7
(921) 726-0874 (F 5PM to M 8.30AM only for Finnish citizens in case
of emergency), fax: +7 (8142) 767-167, e-mail:
email@example.com. Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri - 9-00 - 12-00 and 13-00 -
15-45; Wed 9-00 - 12-00.
Sweden Sweden, 25 Gogolya St.. Visa for
locals, no other consular service provided.
Karelian wooden artworks. Karelian birch is
of particular beauty and skilled artists add to its value as well.
Avoid buying any antiques (especially of military character such as
medals) that could be considered of cultural value by the Customs.
Photo books. They make great presents at home and can be a
replacement for photos that might be hard to take such as Kizhi (if
you don't happen to get out on the island).