Sarapul, Russia

Sarapul is a city in the Udmurt Republic of Russia. Sarapul is the third most populous city in the republic after Izhevsk and Votkinsk. The center of the urban district is the city of Sarapul.



The name Sarapul was first mentioned in 1579 in relation to the area or river on which the village of Voznesenskoye, the future city, was located. Translated from the Chuvash Sarapul - "sterlet" (literally "yellow, beautiful fish"), which was found in abundance in the Kama on this site.



The city is located on the right (high) bank of the Kama, in the southeastern part of Udmurtia, 62 km from Izhevsk and 1143 km from Moscow. The city is connected with the capital of the republic by the P322 highway.

Like the rest of Udmurtia, the city is located in the time zone designated by the international standard as Samara Time Zone (SAMT), offset from UTC - +4: 00.



the Russian Empire
The Sarapulka River was first mentioned in 1596. Another source indicates that Sarapul was first mentioned in the census book of 1596, that they "fish" here, and in 1616 it was a "suburb". In the same year, Sarapul was sieged, devastated, many residents were beaten and taken prisoner, as in other settlements of the Kama region - Kazan, Ufa, Ossa, Kungur, Stefanov-settlement and others, Kazan and Ufa Tatars, with the Chuvashes sticking to them , Cheremis, Votyaks and Bashkirs, who at one time waged a formal war "gathering in a great crowd" against the Russian state, in the northeastern outskirts of Russia.

In 1621 "the village of Voznesenskoye, which is on Sarapul" is mentioned. In the acts of the 17th century, the area around it was always called the Sarapul district. According to legend, in 1657 Sarapul and the surrounding area were miraculously saved from the plague epidemic by bringing the image of St. Nicholas from the village of Berezovka. The miracle served as the basis for one of the oldest in Russia, the Sarapul Kazan religious procession, held annually until 1918. Since 1707 it became a palace village called Sarapul. The village flourished thanks to the grain trade and fishing. In 1708, according to the "Decree on the establishment of provinces and the painting of cities to them," the town built in the Kazan palace village Sarapul was assigned to Penza, and became part of the Kazan province.

In 1738, Sarapul was assigned to the Osinsky province of the Ufa province, and since then has become a significant stopping point of the Arsk road to the "Siberian lands", and was called a palace settlement. In 1773, the palace settlement was ravaged by the Pugachev rebels.

In 1780, the settlement received the status of a county town, became the center of the Sarapul district, Vyatka province, and since then it has developed according to the master plans of major architects. In the second half of the 18th century and the beginning of the 19th century, the county town was a significant trading point in the province. The city used to have two monasteries and 21 churches. The Male Startsevo-Gorsk John the Baptist Monastery was founded in 1900 by Bishop Nikodim (Side) of Sarapul. This monastery was the residence of the vicar bishop of Sarapul. The Convent of the Annunciation began as a “community of sisters of hard work” in 1853, and in this form it existed until 1881, when it was transformed into a monastic abbess run by the abbess. A parish school functioned under him. The surviving churches: Pokrovskaya (1791), Resurrection (1821) and Xenia of Petersburg (1912). Some buildings were erected by French prisoners after the Patriotic War of 1812. Sarapul is the birthplace of the cavalry girl Nadezhda Durova, who served in the army of MI Kutuzov.

On March 4, 1889, the vicar of the Vyatka diocese (Athanasius) was first appointed with a residence in Sarapul (previously, the Sarapul vicars stayed in Vyatka), which transformed the Sarapul vicariate into a semi-independent diocese. In the early 1890s, Sarapul fell into the orbit of all-Russian and even world attention due to the infamous Multan case.

At the end of the 19th century, Sarapul was one of the largest centers of the shoe and leather industry in Russia. Sarapul is the birthplace of the famous “squeaky” boots. About a quarter of the merchants were engaged in shipping. The construction of a large ship required a significant initial investment, so the very wealthy city merchants and bourgeoisie became ship operators. Thanks to the efforts of the Sarapul merchants, primarily the mayor Pavel Andreevich Bashenin, the railway passed through the city. Through the efforts of merchants, the Alekseevskoe real school was opened in the city.

Soviet period
From 1923 to 1934 Sarapul was part of the Ural region, was the center of the Sarapul district. From 1934 to 1937, it was first part of the Kirov region, and then - the Kirov region. In 1937 the city was annexed to the Udmurt Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic, the center of the political and economic life of the region moved from Sarapul to Izhevsk.


In 1931-1937, Stepan Nekrashevich, the initiator and first chairman of the Institute of Belarusian Culture (now the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus), was in exile in Sarapul.

By the decree of the Presidium of the CEC of the Ukrainian Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic of April 22, 1938 and the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the RSFSR of March 7, 1939, Sarapul received the status of an independent administrative unit of republican subordination.

In 1942, Boris Yarkho, a philologist-medievalist and translator and a versatile scientist who was in evacuation, died in Sarapul. Also in Sarapul on December 17, 1981, the first in the history of the USSR a hostage-taking at school No. 12 took place. In the operation to free the hostages, fighters of the special forces of the Alpha group of the KGB of the USSR were involved.

In 1949, the urban-type settlement Simonikha entered the Sarapul line.

In the XX century, the economy of Sarapul was determined by several large enterprises of mechanical engineering and radio electronics, which produced mainly military and general industrial products. The industrial company Elecond, founded in 1968, still produces electric capacitors.