Syktyvkar, Russia




Description of Syktyvkar

Syktyvkar (from Komi-Zyr. - “city on (the river) Sysol”) - the city (from 1780, until 1930 was called Ust-Sysolsk) of republican significance in Russia. The capital and administrative center of the Republic of Komi. Forms urban district "Syktyvkar." In Syktyvkar there are regional government bodies of the Komi Republic, territorial structures of federal authorities, headquarters of regional commercial organizations and public associations. The city is located on the left bank of the Sysola River. The city has an airport, train station, bus station.

In 2012, the city took the 129th place (out of 165) in the rating of attractiveness of the urban living environment (dwelling) with the index of 26.91. In 2013 - the 128th place with the index of 27.55.


Travel Destinations in Syktyvkar


Due to the presence of large timber processing industries, the size of the city is quite large. The remoteness of the Ezhva district from the central part of the city is more than 10 kilometers down the Vychegda River, in parallel with which Oktyabrsky Avenue, passing into the Ukhta highway. The central part of the city is surrounded by so-called. townships, neighborhoods and suburbs with the interesting historical name of Paris, in the Komi language - Chovieu, Dyarnos, Vylgort and others; beyond the Vychegda district is the district.

The central part of the city is the area bounded by the railway station and routes from the west and Vychegda in the east. From the south, the natural border is the airport, and the northern boundary of the city center is blurred and it can be conditionally held along Pechora Street, then, with the exception of a couple of megamolls, there will definitely be nothing interesting.

The main streets of the city, intersect each other on a circle with the memorable Monument of Labor Glory: Communist and October Avenue. The first goes from the railway down to the main city Stefanovskaya Square, and further down to the culture park to them. Kirov on the bank of the Vychegda. The main attractions, museums and theaters are located in the area of ​​two or three blocks around Stefanovskaya Square. The transverse Oktyabrsky Avenue contains multiple fewer sights, but it is the most important transport artery of the city, connecting the city along its entire length.


Churches and temples

Orthodox churches operate in Syktyvkar:
St. Stephen's Cathedral;
Holy Kazan Church;
Holy Ascension Church;
Holy Transfiguration Church;
Temple of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos;
Temple of the Smolensk Icon of the Mother of God;

In addition, the city has:
Church of Christ the Savior Christian Baptists



The first theatrical performance in Ust-Sysolsk dates back to 1821. It was an amateur performance of Filatkin's Wedding. It was organized by a young girl - Petersburg lady Alexandra Osipovna Ishimova. It was a one-time event.

Regular amateur performances in Ust-Sysolsk began to be staged in 1831, when amateur theater-goers asked permission from the mayor to stage performances. The mayor became worried and wrote to the governor for permission. He allowed, but demanded to submit a list of plays. The theatergoers wrote out 21 works that they were going to stage. Performances were staged regularly (usually in winter), one performance per week.

The first professional theater "Sykomtevchuk" appeared in the city in 1921, headed by the first Komi playwright V. A. Savin.

Drama Theatre. V. Savina. In 1978, in connection with the 90th anniversary of Viktor Savin, Komi Republican Drama Theater was named after him. In 2007, the old theater building was completely demolished. In its place, a new theater building was built that outwardly resembles an old theater building, but with modern technical content: a stage with circular and lane traffic, 4 light boxes, a heated roof, Spanish crystal chandeliers and wall panels from Sweden were installed, a library and a video recording studio appeared. Performances in the new building of the theater can go on simultaneously in two halls. The opening of the new drama theater in Syktyvkar took place on August 21, 2009, the full opening - at the end of 2009).
The Opera and Ballet Theater of the Komi Republic, located in Syktyvkar, opened on August 26, 1958 with the premiere of P. Tchaikovsky's famous opera "Eugene Onegin" as a musical theater. It was opened with the active participation of artists - former political convicts of Vorkutlag, first of all, singer Boris Deineka, who became the artistic director of the theater; Now the theater presents to its audience both productions by famous Russian and Western authors (The Merry Widow, The Favorite, Silva), as well as national performances. Among them, the key place is occupied by the ballet "Yag Mort", based on the plot of the Komi epic.
The Komi Republican Philharmonic Society includes the Asya Kya State Song and Dance Ensemble, the Zarni Yol Folk Music and Song Ensemble, the Inspiration Instrumental Music Ensemble, as well as soloists: People's Artist of the Komi Republic Alexei Moiseenko, Honored Artist of the Komi Republic Fyodor Svyatovets, Honored Artist of the Republic of Komi Alevtina Vostrikova, Victoria Rebenko, Victoria Pystin, Olga Kravtsova and Vera Bulysheva. The ensemble "Asya kya" is a hallmark of the culture of the Komi Republic at many international festivals.
The National Music and Drama Theater of the Komi Republic deals exclusively with national productions. All performances in it are in the Komi language, with simultaneous translation into Russian. The theater's repertoire combines dramatic art and the vocal and instrumental heritage of the folklore of the Komi people. The synthesis of these two directions gave samples of theatrical performances that reflect the esoteric worldview of the northern Komi people - performances created on the basis of folklore materials, folk epos, songs and rituals of the Komi and representing a wide variety of genres: folk drama, musical epic poem, musical comedy, mythological tale , modern drama, legend, children's fairy tale.



Modern multiplex cinemas are located in the shopping centers of the city: "Rainbow 3D" in the shopping center "Rainbow", two cinemas "RubLion Cinema" in the shopping center "Rublik" and the shopping center "June", "Sky Cinema" in the shopping center "Parma". Since 2012 The Maxi shopping mall houses the Kronverk Cinema cinema with the only IMAX hall in the Komi Republic.

In addition to modern cinemas, some buildings of cinemas from the Soviet period have been preserved in the city. The building of the cinema "Rodina" was built in 1937-1940, now it houses a nightclub. Within the walls of the Oktyabr cinema, built in 1954 according to a standard design by the Giprokino architect Zoya Iosifovna Brod, there is the Oktyabr Leisure and Cinema Center, where film screenings, cultural and educational events are held.

The film distribution organization Komikino is located in the city. The Komikino film fund has more than 7,000 titles of feature, animated and documentary films, including rare, exclusive, single copies on film and digital media.


Museums and galleries

The first museum of ethnography and archeology appeared in Ust-Sysolsk in 1911.

National Museum of the Komi Republic and Department of Nature (Syktyvkar, Kommunisticheskaya str., 6).
Department of Ethnography of the National Museum of the Komi Republic (Syktyvkar, Kommunisticheskaya str., 2).
Department of History of the National Museum of the Komi Republic (Syktyvkar, Lenina St., 57).
Zoological Museum of Syktyvkar State University (Syktyvkar, Petrozavodskaya St., 120).
Museum of Archeology and Ethnography of the Syktyvkar State University (Syktyvkar, Kataeva, 21).
Museum of the History of Education of the Komi Territory of the Syktyvkar State University (Syktyvkar, Oktyabrsky Prospekt, 55).
Scientific Geological Museum. A. A. Chernov of the Institute of Geology, Komi Science Center, Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences (Syktyvkar, Pervomaiskaya st., 54).
Literary Museum of Ivan Kuratov (Department of the National Museum of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Syktyvkar, Ordzhonikidze St., 2).
House-Museum of I. P. Morozov (Department of the National Museum of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Syktyvkar, Kirov St., 32). The museum building is an exact copy of the wooden house of Morozov's parents from the village of Mejador.
Literary and Theater Museum. Dyakonova N. M. (Syktyvkar, Ezhva, Mayakovsky st., 3).
Museum of the Olympic champion Raisa Smetanina (Syktyvkar, Tentyukovskaya st., 301). The museum has collected material on the history of the development of cross-country skiing in the second half of the 20th century.
National Gallery of the Komi Republic (Syktyvkar, Kirov St., 44). The art gallery presents paintings, graphics by Komi artists of the 20th century, Russian fine art of the 18th-early 20th centuries, Russia of the 20th century and a small number of paintings by Western European artists of the 17th-20th centuries.



In 1837 the first library was opened. There was a charge for using the books. In 1867 (30 years after opening) the library had only 39 readers, including 4 peasants.

There are regional and municipal libraries in Syktyvkar, as well as libraries of scientific and educational institutions of the city, special libraries:

National Library of the Komi Republic;
National Children's Library of the Republic of Komi named after S. Ya. Marshak;
Youth Library of the Komi Republic;
the Central City Library and the Central City Children's Library with territorial branch libraries that form the Central Library System of the city of Syktyvkar;
Scientific Library of Syktyvkar State University;
Scientific Library of the Komi Science Center of the Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences;
Komi republican special library for the blind named after Louis Braille.


Monuments of monumental art

On the streets and squares of Syktyvkar, there are 17 monuments, two memorials, 11 commemorative signs, one sculpture, 95 memorial plaques dedicated to personalities and historical events, including:
Memorial "Eternal Glory", or Eternal Flame - a complex built in 1981 in honor of the Syktyvkar soldiers who died in the Great Patriotic War. The memorial is located in the center of the city, on the Alley of Heroes. In front of the memorial there is a bowl with "eternal fire".
Monument to the fallen during the civil war
Monument of Labor Glory - a 22-meter torch made of polished aviation titanium (formed from three symbolic banners), decorated with three orders of forged copper. It was established in honor of the achievements of the working people of the Komi ASSR and the awarding of the Republic with the Orders of Lenin (January 22, 1966), the October Revolution (August 20, 1971) and Friendship of Peoples (December 29, 1972). It is considered one of the visiting cards of the city. Established in 1977 at the intersection of Kommunisticheskaya Street and Oktyabrsky Prospekt. The authors are architects P. P. Reznikov, A. A. Kurov; designer - L. Rochev.
Monument "Grieving Warrior".
Monument to the letter "Ӧ".
The monument "Young Man with a Bird" (original name - "Dawn over Chukotka") was installed near the terminal building on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of Komi aviation (in 1980) instead of the monument to Vladimir Lenin. Sculptor I. Gushchin, architect B. Brovchin. The copper monument depicts a young reindeer herder who admires the flight of birds and dreams of learning to fly.
Monument to Domna Kalikova - erected by sculptor V. A. Rokhin in 1979 in honor of the heroine of the Civil War, located opposite the Russian gymnasium. The sculpture is made of stainless steel.
Monument to Ivan Kuratov - erected in 1977 in front of the Opera and Ballet Theatre. The authors of the monument are the sculptor V. N. Mamchenko, the architect V. Z. Edelgaus.
Monument to Viktor Savin - erected in 1994 in front of the State Academic Drama Theater named after Savin. The authors of the monument are the sculptor V. A. Bezumov; architects A. P. Tolmacheva, N. A. Tyulyukova, M. A. Shakhov. The sculpture is made of bronze, the pedestal on which the monument stands is made of granite.
Monument to Georgy Dimitrov.
Monument to Nikolai Oplesnin.
Monument to V. A. Malyshev.
Monument to Alexander Alekseev. Installed in front of the building of the FSB. Opening of the monument - August 2000. The author of the monument is the sculptor V. N. Mamchenko.
Monument to Mikhail Babushkin. Initially, the monument was erected in 1941 at the intersection of Kirov and Babushkina streets. In 1972, the monument was moved to the park near the Rodina cinema. The author is the sculptor N. E. Sarkisov. Material - bronze. The pedestal is concrete, lined with granite.
Monument to Vladimir Lenin on Stefanovskaya Square. Installed on Yubileinaya (now Stefanovskaya) Square. Sculptors - Lev Kerbel, V. I. Buyakin. Architects - V. K. Datyuk, S. A. Feoktistov. The material is granite. The monument was erected in honor of the 50th anniversary of the October Revolution and opened on November 5, 1967. The monument is a granite pylon, from which the figure of Lenin appears against the background of a waving banner. The inscription on the monument: Komi Leninly - Komi ybzsyan, Rus. Lenin - from the Komi people.
Monument to Pitirim Sorokin, opened in front of the entrance to Syktyvkar State University on August 22, 2014, sculptor Andrey Kovalchuk


City streets

Most of the names of the streets of ancient Ust-Sysolsk were associated with the names of saints, Orthodox holidays: Pokrovskaya, Trekhsvyatitelskaya, Predtechenskaya, Nikolskaya, Spasskaya, Trinity, Georgievskaya. Three streets were named in connection with their geographical location: North-West, South-West and Embankment. Sukhanovskaya bore the name of large Ust-Sysol merchants.

Before the revolution of 1917, only Sukhanovskaya, Pokrovskaya and Naberezhnaya streets were considered historical in Syktyvkar, the rest got their names already at the end of the 19th century. Most of the pre-revolutionary street names of the city have not been preserved - after 1930 they were actively renamed: both to combat the tsarist past and to perpetuate the achievements of the great leaders of the young Soviet state.

On November 14, 1918, the Zyryanskaya Zhizn newspaper reported that Spasskaya Street became Sovietskaya, Troitskaya Street became Lenin Street, Pokrovskaya Street became Republican Street, Trekhsvyatitelskaya Street became Communist Street, Predtechenskaya Street was renamed Labor Street, Nikolskaya Street became Proletarian Street, Georgievskaya Street was renamed International Street, Sukhanovskaya Street to Rabochaya, Zapadno-Zagorodnaya - to Komi Grezd, Yugo-Zagorodnaya - to Krestyanskaya.

During the years of the first post-war five-year plans, the city of Syktyvkar has grown significantly and improved. In 1958, it had more than 100 streets, the length of which was over 45 kilometers, and less than half of them were asphalted and paved with stone.

In 2007, Syktyvkar, together with Lesozavod and Nizhny Chov, but without the Ezhvinsky district and suburban settlements, has 123 streets, 23 passages, 20 lanes, one avenue and one boulevard. The total number of streets in Syktyvkar with all its surroundings, according to city architects, has exceeded 200. In addition, there are 10 public gardens and about 30 squares in the Komi capital, including official, transport, railway station, in residential areas and near shopping centers. Also, several highways pass through the city, flowing smoothly from the streets - Sysolskoye (towards Kirov), Ukhta and Nyuvchimskoye, which starts from the turn to the village of Krasnozatonsky.

Streets in Syktyvkar are named in Russian and Komi languages.



The city has changed several official and unofficial, but fixed names among the people: Ust-Sysola, Ust-Sysolsk, Syktyvdin, Syktyvdinpom, Syktyvdinkar, Syktyvkar and even just Kar (that is, "City" - there were no other cities in the Komi Republic then) ; almost became Vladimir-Lenin (in 1924), or Joseph-Stalin (in the 1930s).

In 1780, by the Decree of Catherine the Great, the churchyard of Ust-Sysol was transformed into a city and named "Ust-Sysolsk".

The local Komi-Zyryan population translated the components of this name into their own language and called the city Syktyvdin, where “Syktyv” is the Komi name of the Sysola River, and “din” (or “dyn”) in the Komi language is “about” (the space adjacent to something), that is, "a place near (the river) Sysola".

In 1930, when the 150th anniversary of the city was celebrated, the city of Ust-Sysolsk was renamed the city of Syktyvkar (in the Komi language "Syktyv" - "Sysola"; "kar" - "city"), which means - "city on (river) Sysole".


History of Syktyvkar

The initial settlement of the territory of modern Syktyvkar began in ancient times. In the north-eastern outskirts of the city between the village of Ozel and the village of Sedkyrkesh, on the shores of Lake Enty, ancient settlements dating back to the Neolithic era (New Stone Age - III millennium BC) were discovered.

The burial ground of the 10th century Izkar is known - "stone city" ("from" - "stone, stone"; "kar" - "city") in the Tentyukovo region.

XVI-XVII centuries
The history of the future Syktyvkar begins in the 16th century with the Zyryan settlement Sysolskoe (Sektyvdyn in Zyryan), founded by people who came from the villages located higher along the Sysol. Since 1608 Ust-Sysolsk churchyard.

The settlement of the area proceeded quickly, as this was facilitated by the convenient geographical position of the village: the confluence of the two navigable rivers Vychegda and Sysola, which at that time represented a large waterway connecting the territory of the present Komi Republic with the regions of Siberia and the Kama region, first by “portages”, and later by specially built North Catherine Canal in the territory of the present Ust-Kulomsky district of the Komi Republic.

In the Ortelius atlas of 1570, the settlement of Permevelisk stands on the site of modern Syktyvkar.

It was first mentioned in the Yaren hundredth scribe book in 1586 as the churchyard of Ust-Sysola, located at the confluence of the Sysola River into Vychegda. There was a wooden church of St. George and 9 yards: 3 yards of the church clergy and "separately" (scattered) 6 peasant yards. The churchyard had 48 inhabitants. Near the churchyard, on the territory of the modern city, there were repairs Kamenny, Emovsky, Ereminsky, Ivanovsky, Fedorovsky, Kamenisty, Ivan Vezhov, the widows of Orinitsa, Borovinka, Ilyinsky, Gudnikovo, the village of Petrovskaya with the repair of Frolovsky, the settlement of Shulgin. In total, there were 25 residential and 6 empty courtyards.

According to the historian Mikhail Rogachev, by 1586 the churchyard of Ust-Sysolsk was already the administrative and church center of the parish, since it contained the oldest temple of Ust-Sysolsk, wooden, built in a log house.

XVIII—XX centuries
By personal decree of Catherine II of January 25 (February 5), 1780, the Vologda governorship was formed as part of nineteen counties, among which was Ust-Sysolsky; in connection with this, the village of Ust-Sysola was transformed into the county town of Ust-Sysolsk. According to the general land survey, at that time there were 324 houses in the city, in which 1727 people lived.

On February 10 (21), 1780, the solemn foundation of the new city took place. On September 10 (21), 1780, in the house of the merchant Sukhanov, in the presence of important provincial officials from Vologda, a solemn "opening" of the new city took place with a dinner party. The celebrations were announced by the festive bell ringing of the Trinity Cathedral. On October 2 (13), 1780, the coat of arms of Ust-Sysolsk was approved, which represented a drawing, in the lower half of which a bear was depicted lying in a den (“as a sign that there are enough such animals in the vicinity of this city”).

In 1784, nearby villages were added to the county town - Kirul, Podgorye, Half, Kokulkar, Tentyukovgrezd, Mikulsikt and several others. In 1795 there were 1753 merchants and tradesmen in Ust-Sysolsk. In 1833, there were 487 households, 4 churches, a religious school with 45 students, a hospital with 6 beds, 2390 people, "the largest part of them are Zyryans."

During the 19th century, Ust-Sysolsk turned into a large trading center in the North. Trade routes from Pechora, Perm and Vyatka converge here. In 1858, 3167 people lived in the city.

The Russian writer Pavel Vladimirovich Zasodimsky, who visited the city in 1876, describes in his essay "Forest Fairy Tale" as follows:

“Ust-Sysolsk was renamed from a volost into a city almost a hundred years ago.<…> In Ust-Sysolsk there is neither a city garden nor a boulevard, the streets are not paved and are illuminated at night only by the light of heavenly bodies, at any time of the day or night through the streets horses roam and whole herds of sheep loiter.

In 1897, Ust-Sysolsk took the 4th place in terms of population among 12 cities of the Vologda province. Here, with the suburbs, there were 924 households, 4464 people, and another 523 people. lived in the village of Slobodsky.

As part of the USSR
In accordance with the decree of the All-Russian Central Executive Committee of August 22, 1921, Ust-Sysolsk became the administrative center of the newly formed Autonomous Region of Komi (Zyryan).

In February 1924, at a citywide meeting of communists, the secretary of the Regional Committee of the RCP (b) of the Autonomous Region of Komi (Zyryan) Afanasy Chirkov proposed to rename Ust-Sysolsk to "Vladimir-Lenin". Despite the desire and support of the communists coming from the secretary of the regional committee, the renaming did not happen.

By the Decree of the Presidium of the Central Executive Committee of the USSR of March 26, 1930, in honor of the 150th anniversary of the status of the city, Ust-Sysolsk was given the name in the Komi language - Syktyvkar.

In 1930, a sawmill, a printing house, a power station, educational institutions with 1667 students, medical institutions (173 beds), 17 commercial establishments operated in the city.

Since December 5, 1936, Syktyvkar has been the capital of the Komi ASSR (now the Komi Republic).

1959 - according to the census, the population of Syktyvkar was 64,000 people.

In 1989, 242 thousand people lived in Syktyvkar, of which 225.8 thousand lived in the city itself (including 57.6 thousand in the Ezhvinsky district), 4,300 people in Upper Maksakovka, 289 in Upper Myrtyyu, and 690 in Vyltydor , in Krasnozatonsky - 9100, in Sedkyrkeshche - 2412, in Trekhozerka - 491 people.



By plane
In general, the most frequently used way to fly to Syktyvkar are UTair and Aeroflot flights from Moscow or St. Petersburg. The local air carrier Komiaviatrans also flies from Moscow (Domodedovo). There are several regional flights.

The international airport "Syktyvkar" is located within the city, from which there are daily flights to Moscow, St. Petersburg, the cities of the Komi Republic and other regions (Yekaterinburg, Kazan, Naryan-Mar). During the summer, direct flights are opened with cities on the Black Sea coast (Anapa, Sochi) and charter flights to Turkey, Greece, Tunisia and Egypt.

In 1982, the construction of a new Syktyvkar airport began in the town of Sokolovka, 25 kilometers from the city. Due to funding problems, the construction of the new airport was not completed; in 2021, the Komi authorities proposed to abandon the completion of the airport

By train
Syktyvkar is a dead-end station on a branch line from the Mikun junction station. In 1964, the building of the railway station was opened. There is also Chovyu railway station (industrial hub), Ezhva passenger platform and Koity railway station. From Syktyvkar all year round trains run to Moscow, St. Petersburg, Vorkuta, Usinsk, Koslan. Seasonal routes - to Novorossiysk and Adler.


By car

On October 24, 1975, as part of the construction of the Syktyvkar - Murashi road, a section with an asphalt surface Syktyvkar - Obyachevo was opened. The federal highway P176 "Vyatka" connects Syktyvkar with Kirov. The city is connected with Ukhta, Troitsko-Pechora, Kudymkar by roads of regional and intermunicipal significance.

Intercity bus service connects Syktyvkar with the cities of Ukhta, Kirov, Ufa, Naberezhnye Chelny, Cheboksary, Yoshkar-Ola, Kazan. Some routes leave from the bus station, some from the railway station.

According to the Federal State Statistics Service, as of December 31, 2021, there are 8 gas stations in the city of Syktyvkar, the total length of local public roads owned by the municipality is 106.4 km, of which 89.2 km are paved.


By ship

The international airport "Syktyvkar" is located within the city, from which there are daily flights to Moscow, St. Petersburg, the cities of the Komi Republic and other regions (Yekaterinburg, Kazan, Naryan-Mar). During the summer, direct flights are opened with cities on the Black Sea coast (Anapa, Sochi) and charter flights to Turkey, Greece, Tunisia and Egypt.

In 1982, the construction of a new Syktyvkar airport began in the town of Sokolovka, 25 kilometers from the city. Due to funding problems, the construction of the new airport was not completed; in 2021, the Komi authorities proposed to abandon the completion of the airport.


Transport around city

City transport is represented by buses. In 2022, 40 city bus routes operated in Syktyvkar. In addition, two bus routes (101, 174) pass through the city from the village of Vylgort, adjacent to the city. Most routes are served by PAZ buses. In 2016, as part of an investment project for operation on city routes, 40 NefAZ-5299 buses running on gas motor fuel were purchased.

The price for travel on buses in the city of Syktyvkar from January 30, 2022 is 30 rubles. Tickets on intracity buses are sold by conductors or drivers; on some routes, payment is made through contactless validators.

In 1965, a "children's" bus operated in Syktyvkar, which delivered children to kindergarten in the morning and home in the evening.



Cafe-pancake "Maslyanitsa"  , Kommunisticheskaya str., 4. Convenient location in the center, self-service. Russian cuisine, soups, pies, pancakes. Jun 2018 edit
There are also food cords in the June and Maxi shopping malls.

KFC. Mall "Parma"



Hotel "Syktyvkar", Kommunisticheskaya str., 67. 3500 r for a standard single room
Avalon Hotel.
Palace Hotel.


Physical and geographical characteristics

Geographical position

The city is located in the southwestern part of the Komi Republic on the left bank of the Sysola River at its confluence with the Vychegda, 1003 km northeast of Moscow (1264 km by road).

It borders on the Syktyvdinsky and Kortkerossky districts.



Syktyvkar is located in the MSK time zone (Moscow time). The offset of the applicable time from UTC is +3:00. According to the applied time and geographic longitude, the average solar noon in Syktyvkar occurs at 11:37.



The average annual temperature is +1.3 °C.
The average annual wind speed is 2.6 m/s.
The average annual air humidity is 77%.
The climate of Syktyvkar is temperate continental, with short but rather warm summers and rather cold long winters. Frosts are possible even in July, while autumn and spring are cold and long. The city of Syktyvkar is equated with the regions of the Far North.



A significant part of the city is covered with taiga, mostly coniferous forests of the middle taiga subzone of spruce and pine with an admixture of fir and birch, less often - aspen. Spruce forests are confined to watersheds, where boulder loams are common. Pine forests grow on the forest terraces and in the development zone of fluvioglacial deposits. Deciduous forests are widespread in the valleys of some rivers. About 2.5% of the territory is occupied by swamps.

The forest vegetation that formed the green zone around Syktyvkar occupies 51.1 thousand hectares. Currently, the green zone of the city is almost 1.5 times higher than the established standard.

There are two parks in Syktyvkar: Michurinsky and Kirovsky.



There are about 40 large enterprises in Syktyvkar, among which the most harmful from the point of view of ecology is the largest timber processing enterprise in Russia - Mondi Syktyvkarsky LPK. From the beginning of the 21st century, the enterprise began to introduce new technologies to reduce the level of waste and harmful substances emitted into the atmosphere. So, the plant no longer uses chlorine, and the bleaching of the coniferous stream is carried out in a chlorine-free way, by launching a special workshop.

Another "harmful" company is Komiteks, a manufacturer of nonwovens and synthetic fibers.


Education and science


The first educational institution appeared in the city in 1822 - the parochial school at the Trinity Cathedral. The school huddled in a room unsuitable for an educational institution: two small rooms on the first floor of the bell tower of the Trinity Cathedral, at the entrance to the corridor leading to the temple - a noisy and crowded place. Subsequently, the school was transferred to the former town hall building. The superintendent was usually the rector of the cathedral, and the teachers were appointed by the diocesan council from among the priests or graduates of the seminary. The school existed until the end of the 60s of the XIX century and was closed due to the small number of students - it could not withstand competition with other schools in the city.

From 1861 to 1865, the poet I. A. Kuratov, an educated man who adhered to advanced views, taught at the parochial school from 1861 to 1865 (another graduate of the Vologda Seminary was originally planned for the place provided to Kuratov at his request).

In 1835, a parish school was opened in Ust-Sysolsk at the request of the “city society”. By that time, educational institutions appeared in 8 out of 10 cities of the Vologda province. 560 rubles were allocated from the city treasury for the maintenance of the new institution, another 237 rubles. 30 kop. for textbooks collected among the townspeople by subscription. Merchant I. Novoselov was elected overseer. We found teachers, collected textbooks, served the prayer service as it should be, read out the points from the rules, and the school set about the noble cause of educating the youth. Unlike the parochial school, this school was financed by the city (since 1870, partly by subsidies from the Zemstvo). Children of "all conditions" were accepted into the school. Education there was free. In the early years, the parish school occupied a house donated to it by the merchant Novoselov. Then this building was transferred to the county school.

On March 13, 1840, the grand opening of the Ust-Sysolsk district school took place. Pupils and teachers first went to the service at the Trinity Cathedral, then a “prayer service” took place with the water blessing of the school building, “speech befitting this occasion” were read, in which the generosity of the “fathers of the city” was extolled and the exciting prospects for public education opening up with the beginning of school work. The district school was maintained not by the city, but by the state treasury. Moreover, considerable sums were allocated for it - up to 5.5 thousand rubles in silver, so it lived relatively well. Since 1881, the Zemstvo also helped the school.

After the completion of negotiations between the city authorities and the merchants Sukhanovs in 1850, a stone house owned by the Sukhanovs on Pokrovskaya Street (now Ordzhonikidze Street) was bought for the school for 2285 rubles. Until 1873, education in it was free, and then they began to charge students a fee - 2 rubles a year. The county school, which belonged to the type of elevated primary schools, provided a more extensive education. Schools of this type since 1828 were three-year. In addition to the obligatory law of God, they studied the Russian language, calligraphy, arithmetic and geometry, history, geography, drawing and drawing.

In 1858, the first school for girls was opened (before that, only boys were admitted to educational institutions) - a second-class women's school (it was a two-year school with a two-year course in each class) with a program close to the course of the county school. In addition, they taught needlework. The initiator of the opening of the school was the superintendent of the Ust-Sysolsk schools E. Kichin. Before the construction of the school house was completed in September 1859, I. Zaboev sheltered him. Initially, there were only two people on the staff: the warden of the school, E. Klyachina, and her assistant, Podyakova. Later, other teachers were also paid.

On August 24, 1872, by decision of the Holy Synod, the Ust-Sysolsky Theological School was opened, which was not classified as a secondary school. In October 1890, the school received a new stone two-story building (designed by the Vologda architect Fedorov) along Naberezhnaya Street (now Kirov Street).

The course of study at the school was 4 years. Studied: the Law of God, church charter, sacred history, Orthodox catechism, Russian, Church Slavonic, Greek and Latin languages and other subjects. Mostly children of clergymen studied. Education was paid. The training was conducted in Russian. At first, the teachers of the school were graduates of the Vologda Theological Seminary, then the Moscow and Kazan Theological Academies, many of whom had a Ph.D. in theology, which predetermined the high quality of education. At the end of October 1917, the school ceased its work.

In 1931, the Komi Pedagogical Faculty was opened in Syktyvkar, and in January 1932, in the building of the former Theological School, the Komi State Pedagogical Institute (KSPI) with 4 faculties was opened - the first higher educational institution in the Komi ASSR.

In 1941, the Base of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR for the study of the North was formed, which in 1949 was transformed into the Komi branch of the Academy of Sciences.

February 10, 1972 Syktyvkar State University was founded. The first rector of the university was Doctor of Geographical Sciences V. A. Vityazeva.

Now Syktyvkar is one of the largest scientific centers in the European North of Russia. There are about 30 specialized institutions in the city that carry out research and development work. The leading research institutions of the republic are united in the Komi Scientific Center of the Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, which includes: institutes of chemistry, geology, biology, language, literature and history, physiology, economic and social problems of the North, department of energy, mathematics and centralized services.

Higher education
Higher educational institutions of the city of Syktyvkar:
Syktyvkar State University named after Pitirim Sorokin
Syktyvkar Forest Institute
University "SYNERGY" in Syktyvkar
Komi Republican Academy of Public Administration and Management
Branch of St. Petersburg State University of Service and Economics
Branch of the Russian University of Cooperation
Branch of the Modern Humanitarian Academy
Representation of the Vyatka State University for the Humanities.

Secondary, preschool and additional education
Syktyvkar has 28 secondary schools, 6 gymnasiums, 7 lyceums, 2 evening schools, 1 progymnasium, 1 correctional school for children with mental disabilities, 9 boarding schools, 2 art schools and a number of additional education institutions, which, as a rule, are located at educational schools.



The pre-revolutionary medical care of Ust-Sysolsk was represented by one doctor and two paramedics. The local hospital had 25 beds, home remedies were common, and many people were treated by healers. In 1913, the tsarist government allocated 86 rubles for the needs of medicine.

There are 13 municipal healthcare institutions in Syktyvkar, of which 4 are located on the territory of the Ezhvinsky district of the city. The Republican Children's Hospital is also located here.

In addition, the state institution "Komi Republican Psychiatric Hospital" and the municipal budgetary health care institution "Syktyvkar ambulance station" operate on the territory of the Ezhvinsky district.


Physical education and sports

There are many sports facilities in Syktyvkar: swimming pools, stadiums, gyms, youth schools.

Winter sports are developing in the city: bandy (HC Stroitel, winner of the Major League of the Russian Bandy Championship of the season 2016/2017), snowboarding, skiing and speed skating, figure skating. Mini-football plays an important role in the sports life of the city. The Syktyvkar futsal team "New Generation" plays in the Super League, and its subsidiary club - "The Wallet" plays in the First League "Ural" zone of domestic futsal.

Women's (BK "Nika", Major League of Russia) and men's (BK Syktyvkar State University, Russian Student Basketball Association) basketball, swimming, rhythmic gymnastics, boxing and various martial arts are also developing. Ice races "Super Spike" are regularly held.

Skiing is traditionally developed, there are three official ski tracks in the city: Republican Ski Complex named after. R. Smetanina, the Dynamo ski base and the Vezhdino ski base of Mondi Syktyvkar LPK OJSC, as well as many unofficial tracks (Krasnozatonsky village, Lesozavod locality, Orbita).

The Orbita swimming pool (opened on February 5, 2016) is located near the Faculty of Chemistry and Biology of SSU in the Orbite microdistrict, built on a wasteland on the former state farm fields of Tentyukovo. The name was chosen following an open competition out of 200 options. The three-story building of the Orbita pool includes 2 baths: a small bowl for children under 12 years old and an adult one with 10 swimming lanes 50 meters long (depth - 3.4 meters). On the third floor there are stands for 650 people.

From January 26 to 29, 2017, the city hosted the Bandy World Championship among juniors. In February 2018, it became known that the right to host the World Championship among men's teams in 2021 was entrusted to Syktyvkar, and the stadium was reconstructed in preparation for the championship.


Urban planning and architecture

In Syktyvkar, 40 management companies, 117 homeowners' associations serve and manage the housing stock, in total - 178 organizations. The housing stock is 2,265 houses with an area of 4,399,702.26 m2.

Most of the districts of Syktyvkar are built up with high-rise comfortable buildings, but at the same time, almost every one of them always has a certain percentage of dilapidated wooden housing and private houses.

In the capital of Komi, the share of "Khrushchev" buildings in five, nine and fourteen-story versions prevails. As well as wooden two-story houses, many of them are included in the resettlement program. The government of the republic and the city is building new houses for migrants in different parts of the city: Kochpon, Chit, Rucheynaya.

As of 2016, there is an active development of new residential complexes. As of November 2016, there are dozens of residential complexes under construction.

From 2013 to 2017, a program was carried out to relocate from dilapidated and dilapidated housing - as a rule, these are wooden two-story buildings.

Planning, urban planning and sights
XVI-XVIII centuries
The oldest buildings were built at the beginning of the 19th century, although the “village at the mouth of the Sysola” has been known in historical documents since 1586. In the scribe book for the Sysolsky volost of 1586, in the Ust-Sysolsky churchyard, a church, 3 courtyards of clergy and 6 courtyards of peasants are listed. In 1628, a customs hut was opened in Ust-Sysolsk to collect duties on imported goods, in 1646 a second wooden church appeared and the number of courtyards was 76. At the beginning of the 18th century, the Sukhanov merchant family moved to Ust-Sysolsk. In 1740, at the expense of the Sukhanovs, a brick Church of the Intercession was built, and in 1768, a brick Trinity Cathedral. Stone churches stood until the 1930s. and photographs of them have been preserved.

In 1783, the architects of the "Commission of Buildings" P. R. Nikitin and P. I. Obukhov developed the "Plan of the city of Ust-Sysolsk", in which the experience of St. Petersburg was used. It was based on a three-beam system in combination with a rectangular layout. The central square and front embankment were designed. With its facade, the city opened up on the river. Sysolu. The streets were arranged in beams radiating from the river and in arcs parallel to it. From the city square (now Stefanovskaya) the streets diverge in two directions: from east to west and from north to south, forming clear squares of quarters. In total, the plan outlined 26 quarters, 12 streets and 476 planned places for building houses. In the document of 1783, such streets as 1st Longitudinal, 2nd Cross, Embankment, Pokrovskaya were recorded.

By personal decree of January 16 (27), 1784, the master plan for the development of Ust-Sysolsk was approved. According to him, the small villages adjacent to it entered the city: Vichkodor, Podgorye, Kirul, Half, Kokulkar, Mikulsikt, Izkar, Kotinev (Kotyunev), Tentyukovgrezd, Titovgrezd, Ganyagrezd.

In 1733, construction began on a one-story stone Intercession Church, consecrated in 1740. In 1792, construction began on the second floor of the same building of the Spassky Church, consecrated in 1808.

In 1753-1768, a stone Trinity Church was built in the neighborhood. Later, a bell tower was added to it. All together they made up the Trinity Cathedral on the banks of the Sysola.

The Sukhanov House (1804) is a monument of stone architecture of the 19th century. It was built according to a "model" project drawn up at the end of the 18th century and today is the oldest stone building in Syktyvkar.

In 1820, the Church of the Ascension was built in Kirul.

In 1856-1882, the Stefanovsky Cathedral was erected, the lower church of which has been operating since 1883. In 1896, the upper church was consecrated on the second floor of the building.

The second half of the 19th century - the beginning of the 20th century
In the 2nd half of the 19th century, civilian stone buildings were built: the Suvorovs' house (1879), the courtyard of the Ulyanovsk monastery (1881), the religious school (1890), the shop of the merchant Derbenev, etc. Another historical and architectural monument is a religious school (seminary) built in 1890. Now it's a museum.

The construction of civil buildings expanded more widely at the beginning of the 20th century. The buildings of the craft school (1906) and the fire department (1907), the women's gymnasium (1914) and the county zemstvo hospital (1916) were built. In terms of architectural features, the building of the religious school on the street is of the greatest interest. Kirov, built according to the project of the Vologda architect V. Fedorov, and a fire tower on the street. Soviet.

Soviet period
During the years of Soviet power, the construction of public buildings in the city of Syktyvkar began. The stone buildings of the Regional Executive Committee (1926), the State Bank (1932, architect V.P. Stepanov), the Drama Theater (1932, architect Shcherbakov, Moscow), the Press House (1936, architect Notkin, Moscow), the Republican Hospital (1938, architects Kaplun and Lerman, Moscow), the Pedagogical Institute and the Sever Hotel (1938, I. A. Minin). All these buildings were built in the style of "constructivism".

In 1938, according to the project of A.V. Zikeev, the building of the NKVD was built, now the Ministry of Internal Affairs with an 8-column portico. Since that time, they began to use the classical heritage in architecture again.

In 1939, the cinema "Rodina" was built according to the project of Izotov and the first fully comfortable residential building on the street. Kirov, 28 designed by F. A. Tentyukova with an arch and a symmetrical arrangement of balconies.

In the 1950s, both public and residential buildings were built in the classicist style. This is the regional council of trade unions, residential buildings on the street. Soviet (designed by A. V. Zikeev), the Palace of Pioneers (designed by F. A. Tentyukova).

In 1953, a new project for the planning and development of Syktyvkar was drawn up (author A. A. Shestakov).

In January 1955, the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR approved a new master plan for the development of Syktyvkar.

In 1958, the monumental building of the Republican Library with columns of the Corinthian order was built (authors Lopatto and Lysyakov).

In 1961, the building of the Komi Regional Committee of the CPSU was built, in 1964 - the airport terminal.

On February 2, 1964, the building of the railway station was opened, built by Construction and Assembly Train No. 235 of Pechorstroy.

In 1968, a musical theater was built according to the project of A. D. Turchaninov.

In the 1960s, the concept of mass housing development changed. The construction of large-panel housing construction plants predetermined the design and development of very limited and rigid standard projects. For the first time in the practice of building up Syktyvkar, large planning formations appeared - residential areas.

In January 1969, the first nine-story brick house on Oktyabrsky Prospekt was put into operation.

On October 8, 1971, the first hot water boiler PTVM-50 with a capacity of 50 Gcal/h was put into operation at the Central Exhibition Complex. From this moment the district heating supply of Syktyvkar begins.

On July 6, 1972, in the big hall of the House of Political Education of the Komi Regional Committee of the CPSU, an exit meeting of the Gosstroy of the RSFSR was held, which approved the main provisions of the new master plan for Syktyvkar for the period up to 2000.

In 1972, a bridge was built across the Sysola in the direction of Krasnozatonsky.

On March 30, 1973, water from the Vychegda River came to the homes of Syktyvkar residents through a new pipeline.

On June 8, 1973, the Executive Committee of the City Council decides on the design and construction of a new educational campus of Syktyvkar State University in the Tentyukovo area (near Orbita).

On June 19, 1973, the leaders of the regional and city committees of the party, the Council of Ministers of the Komi ASSR, the executive committee of the city council at the Komigrazhdanproject Institute considered and approved the main directions for building the Oktyabrsky residential area of the capital.

On October 22, 1973, the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR approved a new (sixth in a row) master plan for Syktyvkar, calculated until the year 2000. The first general plan (building plan) of Ust-Sysolsk (Syktyvkar) was approved on January 16, 1784.

December 21, 1973 Syktyvkar clothing factory "Komsomolskaya Pravda" celebrated a housewarming party in a new building on Pervomaiskaya street.

On June 28, 1974, a rally of the workers of Syktyvkar took place on the square near the musical theater, dedicated to the laying of a stone on the site of the future monument to I. A. Kuratov (in honor of the 135th anniversary of his birth).

On August 1, 1974, the final version of the project for the new building of the Syktyvkar City Executive Committee on Babushkin Street was approved.

On September 9, 1974, a new building of the Consulate of the People's Republic of Bulgaria was put into operation on Babushkin Street.

On May 9, 1975, a monument was laid - the Monument of Glory - to the people of Syktyvkar who died in the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945. (near the Press House). On August 20, 1981, the grand opening of the memorial took place.

When designing the Western residential area, the project was based on the task of emphasizing the importance of the main street of the district and the city - Communist by means of architecture (project architect V. Senkin). For 3 km from the Sysola embankment to the railway station, it appeared in the project as a suite of squares strung along the entire street. The best buildings for those times were built on all squares. Buildings of the House of Soviets (V. Shirshov, G. Ilyashenko), a philharmonic society and a bank grew up on Stefanovskaya Square.

At the intersection of Sovetskaya and Kuratova streets, the building of the Kuratovsky District Committee of the CPSU was built in 1985, now the Republican Diagnostic Center is located there. The authors of the project are A. Rakin and P. Reznikov. The building has an interesting shape and texture of the facade.

After 1991
In the summer of 1993, the final draft of the master plan for Syktyvkar was adopted, made by the Russian Research and Design Institute of Urban Studies (chief architect - O. V. Krasovskaya, project leader - I. S. Maizel). On December 11, 2009, the deputies of the Komi capital approved a new master plan for Syktyvkar.


Mass media

Central and local (city and republican) print and electronic media are represented in Syktyvkar.

A television
On May 1, 1964, Syktyvkar television broadcast for the first time a program created at the city studio - a report from the May Day demonstration. And on July 2, 1964, the grand opening of the Syktyvkar television studio took place. In October 1967, the Orbita television receiving station began operating in Syktyvkar, which made it possible to receive Central Television programs from Moscow. In 1970, the Kirov-Syktyvkar radio relay line began to operate, which made it possible to receive television programs from central television on the first program. In 1981, the Syktyvkar television center began to broadcast in color.

Federal channels are broadcast in Syktyvkar, as well as local ones (GTRK Komi Gor and TV channel Yurgan), broadcasting both in Russian and Komi. The TV channel "Yurgan" broadcasts on the air of the OTR channel as part of the first Russian digital television multiplex in the Komi Republic, as well as via cable, satellite television and in IP television packages.

There are two cable operators in the city: Cablevideoether LLC and MediaInform LLC. It is also possible to use the services of IP-television from Rostelecom.

radio stations
88.3 MHz "Vesti FM";
90.4 MHz "Radio Chanson";
90.8 MHz "Radio Mayak";
91.6 MHz "Radio of Russia" / "GTRK Komi Gor";
92.0 MHz (PLAN) "Children's Radio";
95.7 MHz (PLAN) "Radio Pi FM";
98.9 MHz "Radio Dacha";
99.3 MHz "Radio Zvezda";
99.9 MHz (PLAN) "Humor FM";
100.3 MHz "Europe Plus";
100.8 MHz "Comedy Radio";
101.3 MHz "New Radio";
101.8 MHz "Autoradio";
102.3 MHz "Love Radio";
102.7 MHz "Hit FM";
103.2 MHz "DFM";
103.8 MHz "Retro FM";
104.2 MHz "Radio Record";
104.8 MHz "Road Radio";
105.2 MHz "Russian Radio";
105.6 MHz "Radio MIR";

The newspapers Tribuna, Respublika (published by the government and the Komi State Council), Pro City of Syktyvkar, Panorama of the Capital and others are published in the city.

News agencies
Youth portal of the Republic of Komi "Your Parallel", information portal "City11. Site of the city of Syktyvkar.


Events held in Syktyvkar

Cultural and sports events, various exhibitions and festivals are regularly held in Syktyvkar and its suburbs. Among the most famous and visited of them:
City Day (June 12);
Komi Republic Day (August 22);
Komi Writing Day (every third Sunday in May);
"Wide Shrovetide";
"Shondiban" (from Komi-zyr. - "Face of the Sun") - a republican holiday of folk art;
"Syktyvkarsa Tulys" (from Komi-zyr. - "Syktyvkar Spring") - an international festival of opera and ballet art;
"Zarni dzhydzhyas" (from Komi-zyr. - "Golden Swallows") - an international festival of professional ballet art of the Finno-Ugric regions;
"Master of the Year" is a republican exhibition of arts and crafts and folk art crafts.


Other information

On February 13, 1933, the Presidium of the Syktyvkar City Council banned the ringing of bells in the Trinity Cathedral as disturbing the working people of the city. On March 2, 1933, the Presidium of the All-Russian Central Executive Committee decided to liquidate the building of the Trinity Cathedral in Syktyvkar.

November 1, 1929 - Soyuzkino expedition led by N. Lebedev arrived in the city. Filming of the documentary "Soviet North" began with Ust-Sysolsk and the surrounding villages.

On May 1, 1966, a time bomb was defused under the government podium on Yubileinaya Square in Syktyvkar.

In 1990, scenes for the film ...Nicknamed "The Beast" (directed by Alexander Muratov) were filmed in Syktyvkar. Several episodes of the film were filmed at the Syktyvkar railway station. In corrective labor colony No. 1 in the village of Upper Chov, scenes about camp life were filmed. Filming took place with the participation of real regime officers and convicts.

Syktyvkar is a member of the Union of Russian Cities.