Hotels, motels and where to sleep
Restaurant, taverns and where to eat
Cultural (and not so cultural) events
Interesting information and useful tips
Description of Vytegra
Vytegra is located in the northwestern part of the
Vologda region. It is the administrative center of Vytegorsky
district. The city is located on the Vytegra River and the
Volga-Baltic Canal, 15 kilometers south of the last exit to Lake
Onega. The city authorities seek to increase the tourist
attractiveness of the city by opening new museums and attractions.
Visiting the city for tourist purposes is actually possible in
two ways. The first one is a trip by car through the settlements of
the Vologda region and Karelia, as well as a trip to Lake Onega. The
second method involves arriving in Vytegra by water, for example, on
a personal yacht or cruise ship. However, despite the location of
the city on the main cruise route between Moscow and St. Petersburg,
Vytegra is not a traditional stopping point. The exception may be
small ships, targeted at Russian tourists.
History of Vytegra
It was first mentioned in 1496 as Vytegorsky Pogost (Вытегорский
Погост). Since 1710, it was known as Vyangi (Вянги), located at the
confluence of the Vytegra and the Vyangi Rivers.
course of the administrative reform carried out in 1708 by Peter the
Great, Vyangi was included into Ingermanland Governorate (known from
1710 as Saint Petersburg Governorate). In 1715, a shipyard was
founded on the Vytegra River upstream from Vyangi, which remained in
operation until 1847.
In 1773, Vyangi was chartered and
renamed Vytegra and in 1776 Vytegorsky Uyezd was established as one
of the uyezds of Olonets Province in the newly established Novgorod
Viceroyalty. A sequence of administrative reforms followed. In 1781,
Olonets Oblast was transferred to Saint Petersburg Governorate, and
in 1784, it was transformed into an independent administrative unit,
Olonets Viceroyalty. In 1785, Vytegorsky Uyezd was abolished and
merged into Pudozhsky Uyezd. In 1799, Olonets Viveroyalty was
abolished and divided between Novgorod and Arkhangelsk Governorates.
Vytegorsky Uyezd returned to Novgorod Governorate. In 1801, Olonets
Governorate was established, and Vytegorsky Uyezd became one of its
In 1922, Olonets Governorate was abolished
and Vytegra was transferred to Petrograd Governorate (later
Leningrad Oblast). On August 1, 1927, the uyezds in Leningrad Oblast
were abolished and Vytegorsky District with the administrative
center in Vytegra was established as a part of Lodeynoye Pole Okrug
of Leningrad Oblast. On September 23, 1937, it was transferred to
newly established Vologda Oblast.
During World War II,
Finnish troops occupied the western part of Oshtinsky District and
in October 1941, prepared an advance to Vytegra. The Finnish advance
was stopped by the Red Army, but the occupation continued until June
1944. Vytegra was under threat for these two and a half years, but
was never occupied.