Yagodnoye, Russia

Yagodnoe is an urban-type settlement, the administrative center of the Yagodninsky district and the corresponding urban district of the Magadan region of Russia.

Population - 3098 people. (2020). The status of an urban-type settlement - since 1953.

It is located on the left bank of the Debin River at the confluence of the Yagodny stream, 80 km southeast of Susuman and 335 km north of Magadan (528 km by road).

The Kolyma highway passes through Yagodnoye. The village of Senokosny is located 4 km to the north-east.



In 1934, road workers settled on the site of the future settlement. "Everywhere, at every step, berries and berries ... We have met such an abundance of berries for the first time," wrote N. Kutuzov, one of the first prospectors of the route.

The settlement began to be built by prospectors together with road workers as a base on the way into the depths of the Kolyma region. Located on the Yagodny brook, among untouched larches, birches, poplars, protected from all sides by hills, the village lives up to its name.

Then the foothills and valleys of streams were covered with dense forest (in 1 village park of culture and recreation the trees of that pristine taiga were preserved), and in summer there were a lot of lingonberries, black and red currants, raspberries, and in the surrounding valleys - blueberries. There is a berry here and now.

Only the nomad camps of the Yakut nomads reminded of the indigenous people in this area. In late 1934 - early 1935, a small group of civilians - mining specialists - arrived at the site of the present settlement. Some came at the call of the party, others - on a Komsomol ticket. At the same time, the settlement of Kolyma by prisoners began. They were basically the first involuntary builders and residents of the village.

The village of Yagodnoye grew and became prettier thanks to geological discoveries. The planned construction of the village began in the second half of 1935. By the beginning of 1936, the first street appeared - Centralnaya. Above, on a twenty-meter terrace, in a clearing, three log barracks were built. The street on which they stood was named Nagornaya.

By the beginning of 1938, on the banks of the Debin, approximately where the motor depot is now located, a vitamin factory appeared, producing an extract from the needles of dwarf pine. Both free and prisoners were obliged to drink it as a remedy for scurvy. There were no other antiscorbutic drugs in Kolyma at that time, just as there were no vegetables and fruits containing vitamins necessary for the body.

In May 1937, the construction of a bridge across the Kolyma near the village of Debin (63 km to the south-east) was completed. The bridge provided regular traffic between Magadan and Yagodnoye.

In the late 1930s, a narrow-gauge railway was built, connecting the villages of Ust-Taskan and Elgen-Ugol. It was used to deliver fuel for the Tuscan thermal power plant, which provided electricity to the North, South and South-West mining departments.

On the site of the microdistrict along Transportnaya Street in the 1940-50s, there was a horse base. Horses were then the main "technique" in mining operations and the most reliable mode of transport. On the current street Sportivnaya stood the barracks of the paramilitary guard - a military town. The first store opened in Yagodnoye in 1936, and a secondary school was built in the 1940s. It was located in a building where, until recently, there was a regional department of internal affairs (this year it burned down).

The primary school was located nearby, in the building that later housed the music school and the district archive.

The Great Patriotic War became a serious test for the inhabitants of the Northern Mining Administration (now Yagodninsky District).

This is evidenced by the memoirs of ND Strizhenko, at that time a senior geologist at the Vodopyanov mine (located in the village of Khatynny): “During the war, we mined tons of gold. We realized that this was a weapon, that by mining gold, we were participating in a holy war, making a significant contribution to the defeat of the enemy. In 1943, the American capitalists sent a delegation of experts - experts in gold deposits, headed by Vice President Wallace - to the Kolyma. They wanted to make sure if the Land of the Soviets could pay them off for military supplies under Lend-Lease. The delegation visited the Chay-Urya valley (Susuman region). I was then one of the representatives of the Dalstroy delegation. By the size of the gold-bearing valley and the samples taken, the guests realized that there is a lot of gold in Kolyma: tens, hundreds of tons. We made sure that no losses will be incurred. The supply of weapons, foodstuffs, and materials was extremely important for defense. This was our participation in the defeat of the enemy. "

At the Berelekh motor depot, where one of the authors of these lines worked as a machine shop foreman in the early 1950s, I also heard the following legend:

After a message was received at the Maldyak mine that an American delegation was coming, the metal was not surveyed for two days. They opened the deck on one of the devices only when foreign guests arrived. And when they saw the Kolyma gold, they just shook their heads, smiled, waved their hands and wrote something down in notebooks. In general, the Americans were incredibly surprised.

Intensive construction of Yagodnoye began in the early 1950s. In 1952, a two-story hotel and a kindergarten were built, in 1954 - a House of Culture with an auditorium for 360 seats, a lecture hall, and a library.

In the early 60s, beer and non-alcoholic and meat and dairy factories began to produce products in the village (their shops were transported from the village of Pishchevoy).


In the late 60s and early 70s, the Yagodninsky plant of building materials started operating. In the early 60s, a new building of the regional communications center was built on the site of the burned down post office. At that time it was - after the House of Culture - the most beautiful building in Yagodnoye. In 1969, Oktyabrskaya and Lesnaya streets appeared.

One of the most beautiful buildings in our village is the Fakel cinema. When it was being built, there was a lot of controversy about what it should be, and largely thanks to the taste of the then director of the K cinema, I. Sukhov, we see the cinema as it is today.

The House of Pioneers in Yagodnoye appeared in 1955; K.A.Stryapchaya became its director.

In 1965, the Yagodninsky Construction Department was assigned category I. The annual volume of construction and installation work performed by the department exceeded five million rubles. The head of the YSU was V.V. Morozov, and the chief engineer was G. T. Timoshin.

In the 70s, the mass introduction of small-scale mechanization tools began in construction. This made it possible to increase labor productivity in finishing work and to commission more than five thousand square meters of housing (150-200 comfortable apartments) per year. The department built housing and production facilities in the villages of Elgen and Taskan, in the villages of Debin, Upper At-Uryakh, named after Kalinin, named after M. Gorky, Odinokiy, Shturmova and others.

In 1971, by November 7, a new secondary school for 1230 places was commissioned in the district center.

The first large-panel industrial facility on the territory of the district and the region was the building of the mechanical assembly shop at the Yagodninsky mechanical repair plant.

The construction of a new school can rightfully be called a people's building. They did not have time to hand it over by the beginning of the school year, so residents of the village working at enterprises, institutions and organizations of the regional center were involved in the work. The school was commissioned with incomplete work, the basement premises were completed in subsequent years, but classes in the new school building began almost on time - with a week's delay. Two houses were built for small families - along Transportnaya and Kolymskaya streets, a hostel on Novaya, 9 (seven-story building). The latest construction projects in Yagodnoye are residential buildings in the 60 years of the USSR quarter, on Stroiteley Street and Kolymskaya Street.

In recent years, a public organization "Search for the illegally repressed" has been operating in Yagodnoye, which is looking for people who suffered during the Stalinist repressions, studying the history of the region and the region, in which there were many bright, bright, and bitter, tragic pages.

Some enterprises, institutions and organizations continue to work in the village, children study in schools.



Museum of Memory of Victims of Political Repression
On October 30, 1994, the local historian Ivan Panikarov created the Museum of Memory of Victims of Political Repression in the village. The exposition and archive of the museum includes about four thousand photographs of former prisoners, veterans of Kolyma, remnants of camps; three hundred exhibits - tools and items of prisoners' everyday life, their personal belongings, originals of cases, camp newspapers, drawings and paintings of prisoners made in camps, letters to relatives written from captivity. The museum has a library, which contains about 500 books about repressions, about the war, about the history of the Magadan region.