Hotels, motels and where to sleep
Restaurant, taverns and where to eat
Cultural (and not so cultural) events
Interesting information and useful tips
Description of Abakan
Abakan (Khak. Aғban) is a city in Russia, the
capital of the Republic of Khakassia. Forms the urban district of
the city of Abakan. The city is located on the left bank of the
Abakan River at its confluence with the Yenisei. On the opposite
bank of the Yenisei is Minusinsk.
Destinations of Abakan
Transfiguration Cathedral (Abakan)
Cathedral in Abakan is the cathedral of the Abakan and Khakass
diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church. The project of the temple
was made by the architect Aleksey Vladimirovich Krylov and the
Abakangrazhdanproekt Institute under the supervision of the
project’s chief engineer A. Usov. Construction of the cathedral
began in 1994, but soon the construction work was suspended due to
lack of financial support.
The construction of the cathedral
was resumed in 1999 with the help of the Sayanogorsk Aluminum Plant.
On May 27, 1999, the ruling Bishop Vincent (Morar) consecrated and
laid the first stone in the foundation of the cathedral under
On August 19, 2001, on the feast of the
Transfiguration, the consecration of the lower church in honor of
the new martyrs and confessors of Russia took place. On December 23,
2001, a small consecration of the upper church of the cathedral in
honor of the Transfiguration of the Lord took place. On August 19,
2005, the Cathedral of the Four Bishops accomplished the great
consecration of the upper main church of the Cathedral. On August
19, 2006 the main iconostasis was consecrated.
Transfiguration Cathedral is a seven-domed church, whitened outside.
The lower temple is used for infant baptism. The total area of the
cathedral is about 1637 square meters. m, which can accommodate up
to 1000 people. The height of the cathedral from the ground to the
top of the bell tower is 49.2 m. The upper church has a classic
five-tiered iconostasis and two side aisles. There are 12 bells in
the church. The weight of the largest bell is 5670 kg.
The ark with the shrines: part of the Cross of the Lord, part of the
oak of Mamvri, the Holy Apostle and Evangelist Mark, Rev. Herman of
Alaska, Schmch. Vladimir, Met. Kiev, St. Filaret, Met. Moscow,
reverend. Gerasim of Jordan, St. Luke, Archbishop. Krasnoyarsk, St.
John Hosevita, Bishop Caesarea Euthymius the Great, Rev. Savva of
Storozhevsky, Rev. Moses Ugrin, Saint Apostle Andrew the
First-Called, Saint Nicholas, Archbishop. Myrlician, St. Joasaph of
Belgorod, St. Blvd. Grand Duke Alexander Nevsky, St. Philip, Met.
Moscow, St. VMCh. Anastasia the Solvers, St. Innocent, Metropolitan
of Moscow, St. Tikhon, Patriarch of All Russia, Holy Martyr
Thaddeus, Archbishop. Tver.
Icons of Siberian saints with
particles of relics: St. Innocent, Metropolitan of Moscow, St. John,
Metropolitan of Tobolsk, Holy Martyr Hermogenes, Bishop of Tobolsk,
Martyr Basil of Mangazey, Holy Rights. Theodore, the elder of Tomsk,
St. Blessed Matrona of Moscow.
Stone from Mount Tabor, Israel,
places of the Transfiguration
Icons of the Mother of God “The
Horny” and “Joy and Consolation”, consecrated in the prototypes on
Mount Athos (Greece)
Icon of the Apocalypse, with a particle from
the cave of the Apocalypse on the island of Patmos (Greece)
of St. Nicholas, Archbishop. Myrtle, consecrated at his Holy relics
in the city of Bari (Italy).
Khakass National Museum of Local Lore named after L. R. Kyzlasov
Khakassian National Museum of Local Lore named after L.
R. Kyzlasov is a state autonomous cultural institution of the
Republic of Khakassia. Since 2014 is a member of the Union of
Museums of Russia. The territory of the Republic of Khakassia, where
the museum is located, is one of the oldest cultural centers of
mankind. The beginning of the study was laid by the first scientific
expedition of D. G. Messerschmidt, who was in the region in
1721-1722. Almost all archaeological systematization is based on
discoveries somehow connected with southern Siberia, Khakassia - the
only territory in Asia entirely consisting of archaeological
landscapes (more than 40 thousand visible monuments of archeology,
mainly barrow hills and stone sculptures), presented in the museum's
On December 17, 1928, the Khakass Society of
Local History was founded. In February 1929, a volunteer museum was
opened in the village of Ust-Abakansky. The first director was the
biologist V. A. Ryumin. On July 29, 1931, at a meeting of the
Presidium of the Khakass Regional Executive Committee, Resolution
No. 19 was adopted on the organization of a regional museum in
Abakan. Significant help in organizing and replenishing the museum
was provided by employees of the famous Siberian Museum, founded by
N. M. Martyanov. The first expositions were presented by three
departments: the nature of the region, history and socialist
To date, the museum’s fund has about 120
thousand storage units. These are archaeological and ethnographic
objects, various documents, art objects, rare books, numismatics,
natural science collections and much more. Museum visitors have the
opportunity to see a large-scale exposition of the main natural
complexes, a variety of flora and fauna of Khakassia.
Russian Republican Drama Theater named after M. Yu. Lermontov
The Russian Republican Drama Theater named after M. Yu.
Lermontov is a drama theater in the city of Abakan (Republic of
Khakassia), founded in 1939. According to archival data, the
backbone of the Russian drama in Abakan was made up of employees of
the Votkinsk Drama Theater, founded in 1931. An interesting fact:
for several years this theater lived in the building of the
Annunciation Cathedral, in which Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky was once
The first director of the Regional Drama Theater of
Russian Drama was Nikolai Stepanovich Pozdnyakov. A part of the
House of Culture was handed over to the institution; an order to
create a theater was published on June 10, 1939. October 10, 1939 -
the opening of the first creative season in the city of Abakan with
the performance "Optimistic Tragedy" by Vsevolod Vishnevsky, stage
director and first artistic director of the Russian Drama Theater -
Mikhail Borzunov. July 26, 1941 - in the year of the centenary of
the death of a famous Russian classic, the drama theater receives
the name of M. Yu. Lermontov. The play “Two Brothers”, directed by
Sergey Rakhmanov. March 1, 1954 Russian and Khakass Drama Theaters
merged into one institution - the Khakass Regional Drama Theater
named after M. Yu. Lermontov. Since 1991, the Russian Republican
Drama Theater named after M. Yu. Lermontov exists as an independent
creative collective. In October 2014, the theater celebrates the
75th anniversary of creative activity and the 200th anniversary of
the birth of M. Yu. Lermontov.
Transfiguration Park (Abakan)
Transfiguration Park is one of the most beautiful and beloved
residents among local residents. The park is located immediately
behind the Transfiguration Cathedral. The local fountain in
combination with the golden domes of the cathedral in the background
is of course captured by most visitors to this natural corner.
There is also a Topiary Art Park called “Gardens of Dreams”. The
total area of which is 14 hectares. It contains rare trees, plants
and exotic flowers. Children’s enclosures with various animals enjoy
special delight. There is also a swing for children with
disabilities. One of the attractions of the park is a small copy of
the Eiffel Tower.
In 2006, a statue of the “Good Angel of the
World” was unveiled in the park. The height of the statue is 2.5 m.
On the commemorative tablets you can see the carved names of 60
great benefactors from the history of Abakan: Count Sheremetev,
merchant Tretyakov, representatives of the Morozov and Mamontov
Konstantin-Eleninsky church (Abakan)
Pushkin, 61 (intersection of Pushkin St. and Zhukov St.)
Church of the Saints of Moscow (Abakan)
st. Pushkin, 180
church, built in 1997 in a brick one-story building of a former
kindergarten. In the 2000s, the building was reconstructed, the main
building was built with a quad with a small cupola and a bell tower
under a small tent.
Cathedral of St. Nicholas the
st. Mostovaya, 9
Chapel Church of
the Icon of the Mother of God of the Sign (Abakan)
Seated statue of Lenin (Abakan)
Near the train station sits
Lenin. is free
History of Abakan
Abakansky ostrog (Абаканский острог), also known as Abakansk
(Абаканск), was built at the mouth of the Abakan River in 1675. In
the 1780s, the selo of Ust-Abakanskoye (Усть-Абаканское) was
established in this area. It was granted town status and given
its current name on April 30, 1931.
1940, Russian construction workers found ancient ruins during the
construction of a highway between Abakan and Askiz. When the site
was excavated by Soviet archaeologists in 1941–1945, they realized
that they had discovered a building absolutely unique for the area:
a large (1500 square meters) Chinese-style, likely Han Dynasty era
(206 BCE–220 CE) palace. The identity of the high-ranking personage
who lived luxuriously in Chinese style, far outside of the borders
of the Han Empire, has remained a matter for discussion ever since.
Russian archaeologist L.A. Yevtyukhova surmised, based on
circumstantial evidence, that the palace may have been the residence
of Li Ling, a Chinese general who had been defeated by the Xiongnu
in 99 BCE, and defected to them as a result. While this opinion has
remained popular, other views have been expressed as well. More
recently, for example, it was claimed by A.A. Kovalyov as the
residence of Lu Fang (盧芳), a Han throne pretender from the Guangwu
In the late 18th and during the
19th century, Lithuanian participants in the 1794, 1830–1831, and
1863 rebellions against Russian rule were exiled to Abakan. A group
of camps was established where prisoners were forced to work in the
coal mines. After Stalin's death, Lithuanian exiles from the nearby
settlements moved in.
How to get there
Airport, Druzhby Narodov Avenue,
59. Several flights a day to Moscow, Novosibirsk, Tomsk, Norilsk,
Krasnoyarsk, sometimes somewhere else. The airport is located in the
city, a few kilometers northeast of the center. The city can be
reached by trolley 3 (goes to the bus station), 4 and 5 (train
station). In the 1970s, there was a technical update of the runway
and fleet, the geography of flights expanded: Krasnoyarsk,
Novosibirsk, Alma-Ata, Tashkent. On December 30, 1980, regular
communication with Moscow began on Tu-154 airliners. Currently,
aircraft fly from Abakan in the following directions: Moscow,
Norilsk, Novosibirsk, Tomsk, Krasnoyarsk, Manchuria (China).
Airline Destinations Fleet
Krasair Krasnojarsk Airport Tupolev
SIAT Noril'sk Airport Tupolev Tu-134, Tu-154
Vladivostok Air Dalian Airport, Krasnodar Airport, Moscow
(Sheremetyevo Airport), Noril'sk Airport, Vladivostok Airport
The principal rail route is from Moscow with the fast
Sayany train, journey time is 75 hours. The train departs Moskva
Yaroslavsky station at 10:55PM and arrives 6PM three nights later.
The train makes stop-overs in Yekaterinburg (45 h), Omsk (31 h) and
Novosibirsk (22 h) along its way. Take care as the train does not
You may come or go to Kyzyl by bus.
There are several buses daily, and two stops in Abakan: one is at
the "Railway" station and the other one the bus station.
There is a reliable bus system and locals may help you
with the directions. You may use it to go from the train station to
the Holy transfiguration Cathedral. Remember to have pictures to
show, because almost no one will speak russian. There are also taxis