Kirillov is located in the northwestern part of
the Vologda region on the shore of Siverskoye Lake. This is a cozy
provincial town, one of the most important tourist centers of the
Vologda Region. The central part of Kirillov is dominated by a
mighty fortress, a UNESCO World Heritage Site list item - the
Not far from Kirillov is the
Ferapontovo, in which another UNESCO object is located -
Ferapontov Monastery, as well as the Nilo-Sorsk desert and the
Goritsky Monastery. The city and the monasteries are located on the
territory of the national park "Russian North", which occupies most
of the Kirillov district.
History of Kirillov
In the 13th century, the territory on which Kirillov now stands
was a part of the Principality of Beloozero, which was taken over by
the Grand Duchy of Moscow in the 14th century. In 1397, St. Cyril of
White Lake, a monk and a disciple of St. Sergius of Radonezh,
founded the Kirillo-Belozersky Monastery on the shore of Lake
Siverskoye. A monastic sloboda, from which the town later grew,
developed around the monastery. The monastery was subordinate to
Archbishops of Rostov. In the 15th–17th centuries, the monastery
developed into one of the most influential monasteries in Russia. It
also helped that the Sheksna River was one of the most heavily used
waterways connecting central and northern Russia. At some point, the
monastery was the second biggest landowner after the Trinity Lavra
of St. Sergius. Vasili III of Russia, the Grand Prince of Moscow,
and Ivan the Terrible, the Tsar, visited the monastery on several
In the course of the administrative reform carried
out in 1708 by Peter the Great, the territory was included into
Ingermanland Governorate (known since 1710 as Saint Petersburg
Governorate). In 1727, separate Novgorod Governorate was split off.
The territory became a part of Charondsky Uyezd of Belozersk
Province of Novgorod Governorate. In 1776, the territory was
transferred to Novgorod Viceroyalty.At the same time, Kirillov was
chartered and became the seat of Kirillovsky Uyezd. In 1796, the
viceroyalty was abolished and the territory was transferred to
Novgorod Governorate. Kirillovsky Uyezd was abolished as well;
however, it was reestablished in 1802.
In June 1918, five
uyezds of Novgorod Governorate, including Kirillovsky Uyezd, were
split off to form Cherepovets Governorate, with the administrative
center in Cherepovets. On August 1, 1927 Cherepovets Governorate was
abolished and its territory became Cherepovets Okrug of Leningrad
Oblast. At the same time, uyezds were abolished and Kirillovsky
District was established. On September 23, 1937, Kirillovsky
District was transferred to newly established Vologda Oblast.
How to get there By train To the railway station of
Vologda, then by road.
By bus From Vologda from the bus
station by bus, departing a few (5) times a day, travel time 2 hours
45 minutes. From Cherepovets by bus 2 times a day, from Gorits -
3 times a day. It is also possible to get to Kirillov by transit
buses from Belozersk and Vytegra.
On the ship On cruise
ships sailing along the Volga-Balt to the port of Gorits, then as
part of an organized excursion a few kilometers by bus.