Hotels, motels and where to sleep
Restaurant, taverns and where to eat
Cultural (and not so cultural) events
Interesting information and useful tips
Description of Priozersk
Priozersk (pronounced “PriozErsk”) is located in
the Leningrad Region, 145 km from St. Petersburg, on
According to legends,
on the site of the current Priozersk in 879, Prince Rurik (founder
of the Russian state) died. The Russian town of Korela originated at
the end of the 13th century on the site of a small Karelian
settlement. From the XIII to the end of the XVI century Korela
became a city-fortress, a powerful outpost of
Novgorod on the
Karelian Isthmus, restraining the Swedes' aggression.
According to the Stolbovsky Peace of 1617, Korela
and the surrounding lands were transferred to Sweden by the
Stolbovsky Peace. The city was renamed Kexholm ("Kukushkin Island").
In September 1710, it was conquered back by the Russians and,
according to the Nishtadt Treaty, became part of the Vyborg
As a result of the capture of Finland in 1809, the border was pushed
far to the west, and Kexholm lost its trade and border value. With
the granting of Finnish independence in 1918, the city passes to the
Finns and is renamed Kyakisalmi (“Kukushkin Strait”). Then from 1940
to 1944 - in the Karelian-Finnish SSR, and then - as part of the
Leningrad region. The name Priozersk was given in 1948.
Despite its rich military history, the oldest bastion fortress of
Russia — the Old Fortress of the late 16th century — was well
preserved in Priozersk.
Travel Destinations in Priozersk
Cathedral of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin (1846).
Cemetery Church of All Saints (1890), st. Pushkina 17
Lutheran Church (1930), st. Leningradskaya, 8.
Finnish building (1920-1930-ies).
The new fortress (the end of
the XVIII — XIX centuries), the Leningradskaya road separated from
the Old Fortress by the Vuoksa River. Now it houses a military
sanatorium, the passage to the territory is closed.
building station Priozersk, Vokzalnaya square. d. 1.
Old Arsenal (1591)
Round tower (XVI century). Used as
a prison, the Pugachev family served their time here. Later, eight
Decembrists were kept here.
New Arsenal (1776). Now the building
houses a local history museum.
Mill Gate (end of the XVI