Ermak Travel Guide

 

Stavropol

Stavropol

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Transportation

Hotels, motels and where to sleep

Restaurant, taverns and where to eat

Cultural (and not so cultural) events

Interesting information and useful tips

 

Description of Stavropol

Stavropol (from the Greek. Σταυρός - "cross", πόλις - "city") - the city, the administrative center of the Stavropol Territory of the Russian Federation. Cultural, business and industrial (engineering, instrumentation) center of the region. It is one of the largest cities in the North Caucasus and the North Caucasus Federal District.

According to the results of the All-Russian competition for the title of “The most comfortable urban (rural) settlement of Russia” held in 2013, 2015 and 2016, Stavropol won first place in the category “Urban settlements (urban districts), which are administrative centers (capitals) of the constituent entities of the Russian Federation

Stavropol was founded in 1777. The status of the city received in 1785. Until 1935, it was called Stavropol-Kavkazskiy, from 1935 to 1943 - Voroshilovsk.

 

 

 

History of Stavropol

It was founded on October 22, 1777 following the Russo-Turkish War of 1768–1774 as a military encampment, and was granted city status in 1785. Prince Grigory Potemkin, who founded Stavropol as one of ten fortresses built between Azov and Mozdok at the request of Catherine the Great, played a leading role in the creation of the city. Don Cossacks, particularly those from the Khopersky Regiment, settled the area in and around the cities of Stavropol and Georgiyevsk with a mission to defend borders of the Empire.

Alexander I in 1809 invited several Armenian families to settle by the fortress, in order to encourage trade in the region.

Stavropol's strategic location aided in the Russian Empire's conquest of the Caucasus. By the early 19th century the city grew into a busy trade center of the North Caucasus. In 1843, an Episcopal see of the Russian Orthodox Church was established in Stavropol and in 1847 the city became the seat of Stavropol Governorate.

During the Russian Civil War the city changed hands several times and finally was captured by the Red Army from the Volunteer Army of general Anton Denikin on January 29, 1920. The city was renamed Voroshilovsk on May 5, 1935, after Kliment Voroshilov, but the original name was restored in 1943. The Great Patriotic War took a heavy toll on the city and between August 3, 1942 and January 21, 1943 Stavropol was occupied by the Germans and its airport was used as a base for the Luftwaffe (German air force) to bomb Soviet oil supplies in Grozny. The city was recaptured by the Soviet Army in January, 1943. Since 1946, natural gas has been extracted near the city; later on, a pipeline to supply Moscow was built.

 

 

 

 


 

Transportation

 

 

Hotels, motels and where to sleep

 

 

Restaurant, taverns and where to eat

 

 

Cultural (and not so cultural) events

 

 

Interesting information and useful tips