Location: Crimea


Description of Simferopol

Simferopol is not a particularly touristic city. It may not be worth making a special trip to the city from afar. But since the majority of those who come to Crimea visit it anyway, it is possible to pay some attention to it. What you can see: the central pedestrian zone (and adjacent areas) with its low-rise buildings of the 19th - early 20th centuries, several Orthodox cathedrals of the middle of the 19th century, the Karaite kenassa, the oldest building in Simferopol, the Kebir-Jami mosque built in 1508, and also the only one in its A kind of example of the archeology of the Scythian period is Scythian Naples.

In addition, there are a lot of museums (but there are no particularly outstanding ones among them), rather picturesque mountainous surroundings with many hiking trails, a reservoir and several caves equipped for visiting.


Getting here

All routes to Crimea, with the exception of sea routes, lead through Simferopol, which is a key transport hub for the autonomy.

By plane
In winter, there are 15-20 flights a day to Moscow, daily flights to St. Petersburg, Rostov-on-Don, Krasnodar. Once a week or more direct flights to Vladivostok, Yekaterinburg, Irkutsk, Krasnoyarsk, Novosibirsk, Samara, Sochi, Khabarovsk.

Closer to summer, the number of flights increases significantly, flights to Belgorod, Bugulma, Volgograd, Voronezh, Grozny, Kazan, Kursk, Mineralnye Vody, Nizhnekamsk, Nizhny Novgorod, Penza, Petrozavodsk, Saratov, Surgut, Tyumen, Ufa, Ulyanovsk, Chelyabinsk, Cherepovets are added .

International flights are not operated.

Simferopol International Airport (IATA:SIP). ✉ ☎ Information on the status of flights +7 (3652) 59-55-45. It consists of a single terminal, built according to the project of the South Korean architectural bureau - a division of "Samsung" in 2018. On the first floor there is an arrivals area, a check-in counter, several shops with the press, souvenirs and drinks, a Mir Burger cafe with hardcore fast food, the second floor is an intermediate one, with the Petrushka canteen, which is controversial in terms of food quality. On the third floor of the terminal there is a departure area, where after passing the control you can go to the observation terrace on the top level of the building. Those departing can go in advance to a huge sterile zone, with shops, wineries, cafes and a food court. Free WiFi is available throughout the airport.

How to get there
To the city. Public transport departs from the station square in front of the airport building.
Minibuses: No. 49 to the central bus station.
Trolleybuses: No. 9 to the center. At night - trolleybus route "Night Express No. 20".
Taxi: in the arrivals hall, you can contact the taxi order dispatch office, tel. +7 978 703 04 43 (rates). When ordering through the application, the cost of a trip to the city is about 400 rubles.

Intercity communication.
Intercity trolleybuses depart from the bus station near the old terminal to Alushta (66 rubles, 1.5 hours on the way, every hour, route number 54) and Yalta (98 rubles, 2.5 hours on the way, every hour, route number 55).
Regular buses from the Airport bus station go to Alushta, Evpatoria, Sevastopol (about 20 flights a day), Sudak, Feodosia, Yalta (10-15 flights) and some other points of the South Coast. There are quite a few flights from the airport, but it may make sense to get to the Kurortnaya bus station at the railway station, from where buses go much more often and to more destinations.

As of summer 2018, the roads around the airport are under construction, which, due to traffic during peak hours, increases the time to arrive at the airport.

By train
Trains from Moscow and other Russian cities via Rostov-on-Don, on average 3-4 times a day. On the way from Moscow about 30 hours, from Rostov about 13 hours.

Suburban electric trains depart to Bakhchisaray (journey time 45 min, 6 times a day), Dzhankoy (2 hours 15 minutes, 8 times a day), Evpatoria (2 hours 15 minutes, 4 times a day), Saki (1 hour 40 minutes, 4 times a day). times a day), Sevastopol (about 2 hours, 6 times a day) and Salt Lake (2 hours 45 minutes, 6 times a day). The schedule can be viewed on the Russian Railways website, but tickets cannot be bought there.

Railway station, pl. Privokzalnaya, 1 (near the city center). ☎ Inquiry: +7 (3652) 66-24-04. At the station there is a service center, lounges (located at the station, to the right of the entrance to the courtyard), a waiting room.

By car
From the territory of Russia, along the federal highway M2 "Crimea".

✦  SkyRent car rental, in the trolleybus stop building, Simferopol airport. ✉ ☎ +7 (3652) 59-59-76, +7 978 729 84 74. From 2000 rubles/day, for rentals over 7 days - from 1500 rubles.
✦  Car rental "CarTravel", Sq. Airport, 3, airport. ☎ +7 (978) 715 0 888, +7 (978) 79 78 111. 🕑 8:30–19:30. From 2750 rubles / day, with a longer rental - from 2000 rubles.

By bus
You can get to any point of Crimea and some major cities of Ukraine and Russia by bus. The main tourist bus station is the Kurortnaya Bus Station, but if you need a long-distance bus, then most likely it will depart from the Central Bus Station.

Alushta 1 hour 20 minutes every 10-30 minutes
Dzhankoy 1 hour 40 minutes 7:00 - 21:00, every 15-30 minutes
Kerch 4-5 hours 7-10 flights per day
Koktebel 2 hours 20 minutes 6:30 - 19:20, about 10 flights per day
Evpatoria 1 hour 30 minutes 5:30 - 21:30, every 20-30 minutes
Saki 50 min 5:00 - 21:30, every 20-30 min
Sevastopol 1 hour 40 minutes 5:30 - 22:00, every 15-20 minutes
Pike perch 2 hours 6:00 - 19:30, every 30-50 minutes
Feodosia 2 hours 5:00 - 20:30, every 30-50 minutes
Yalta 1 hour 40 minutes 4:45 - 21:00, every 10-30 minutes

E-tickets can be purchased on the carrier's website
Bus station "Kurortnaya", Gagarin Square, 8 (station square). ☎ 75 57 +7 (978) 835 75 57. October-April 04:30 - 22:00, May-September around the clock. Routes are carried out in any city of Crimea. There is a tiny waiting room.
Bus station "Central", st. Kyiv, 4 (by public transport from any part of the city). ☎ +7 (3652) 275211. Around the clock. Mostly long-distance buses and part of flights to the eastern and northern Crimea are served. The building has a left-luggage office (07:00 - 19:00), a waiting room, a hotel, ATMs, kiosks with food, drinks, hot tea and coffee.
Airport Bus Station, Airport Square, 1. ☎ +7 (978) 835 65 83. October-May 08:00 - 20:30, June-September around the clock. Direct flights from the airport. Almost all buses subsequently go to the bus station "Kurortnaya" and then to their destination. Part of the bus ticket office is located in terminal A, part is near the public transport stop.
The following bus stations are not of particular interest to tourists, as they are very far from the city center, and, in addition, buses run from the Kurortnaya bus stations and the central bus station in these directions.

Bus station "Western", st. Sevastopolskaya, 243 (On the outskirts of Simferopol). ☎ 8538 +7 (978) 835 8538. 06:20 - 19:50. Serves southern directions: Bakhchisaray, Sevastopol (including several buses a day to the North side of Sevastopol), Peschanoe, as well as neighboring settlements. There is a left-luggage office operating in the bus station operating mode, a waiting room, ATMs, kiosks with food, coffee and tea.
Bus station "Vostochnaya", st. Samokhvalova, 4 (On the outskirts of Simferopol). ☎ +7 (3652) 69-27-89. 05:45 - 20:15. Routes are served to Zuya, Belogorsk, Nizhnegorsky, Sovetsky, and other settlements of the northern Crimea. The station building has a left-luggage office operating in the bus station operating mode, a waiting room, a stall with food, coffee and tea, and a veterinary pharmacy kiosk.

By trolleybus
Simferopol is a unique city, from which there is an intercity trolleybus service to Alushta (trolleybus No. 51, on the way 1.5 hours, 44 rubles, every 15-20 minutes) and Yalta (trolleybus No. 52, on the way 2.5 hours, 63 rubles, every 20 minutes ) and all the southern coastal villages along the way. This is the longest trolleybus line in the world, more than 80 kilometers.

Intercity trolleybus station   (on the square of the railway station). ☎ +7 (3652) 27-10-42. There are ticket offices at the station where you can immediately buy tickets for routes around the Crimea. Here you can also buy a ticket for a sightseeing trolleybus to Alushta, Yalta, and on the way the guide will tell you about the main sights that you are passing.



Minibuses and trolleybuses
An extensive network of minibuses and trolleybuses that allows you to get to any part of the city. It rarely takes more than 30 minutes to get from the city center. Public transport drastically reduces the number of buses on routes between 18:00 and 19:00, and it is better to use trolleybuses that leave routes at 21:00-22:00. Public transport completely stops working at 22:00-23:00, after which there is nothing left but a taxi. A minibus ride costs 13 rubles, a trolleybus costs 14 rubles (tickets must be bought from the driver). Traffic routes can be found on Google and Yandex. Maps, but do not trust and at the entrance to the transport check with the driver the opportunity to get to the desired point. In the city, routes of city and suburban buses with the same route number may intersect. Buses traveling in opposite directions can stop at the same stop. Bus stops are most often not marked in any way, most often they coincide with trolleybus stops and are located behind them.

You can order through mobile applications: "Maxim", "UpTaxi" (tel. +7 (978) 841-41-41), "RuTaxi" ("Lucky"). Service "Yandex. Taxi doesn't work. Standard fare: 60 rubles when landing and then 10 rubles / km. Taxis that can be called by phone:
Volga-Volga +7 (978) 782-64-00
"Tavrika" +7 (978) 743-08-28
Etalon +7 (978) 833 53 53
Gold +7 (978) 810-10-10




This part of the city began to be built up after the annexation of Crimea to Russia, when in 1784, under the leadership of His Serene Highness Prince Grigory Potemkin-Tavrichesky, the construction of administrative and residential buildings and an Orthodox church began. The area is distinguished by a regular layout (straight streets intersecting at right angles) and built up mainly with two-story houses. Now this part of the city is bounded on three sides by Aleksandro-Nevskaya, Pavlenko, Mayakovsky streets and Karaimskaya, Kavkazskaya and Proletarskaya streets from the fourth.

The main historical buildings are located here and in the adjacent area of the old city. The intersection of Pushkin and Ekaterininskaya streets is the very center of the city (also known as the "Cross"). A pedestrian zone is organized around it.

1 Alexander Nevsky Cathedral. The cathedral was founded in 1823 on the site of the Suvorov redoubt, a monument to those who defended their Fatherland. And it was the main temple of the city. On February 28, 1911, Leo Tolstoy was again excommunicated in the cathedral, but this time posthumously. In 1930 the cathedral was blown up. In 2003, its reconstruction began. It is planned to build one of the most beautiful and majestic buildings in the city.
2 Dolgorukovsky obelisk, square at the intersection of Zhukovsky street and Dolgorukovskaya street. A monument erected in 1842 in honor of Prince V. M. Dolgorukov-Krymsky and his victory over the Turkish troops. It was installed in the area where in 1771 in the camp of the Russian troops there was a military field tent of the commander of the 2nd Russian army.
3  Church of the Three Hierarchs, st. Gogol, 16. The temple was founded on July 18, 1900, in honor of the 25th anniversary of the Tauride Theological Seminary, and completed in 1903.

4 Peter and Paul Cathedral, st. Petropavlovskaya, 16. Erected in 1870. According to legend, this temple was built on the site where the headquarters of A. V. Suvorov stood during the Crimean campaign of 1770. In 1806, a wooden church was built here in honor of St. Great Martyr Catherine.
5 Holy Trinity Convent, st. Odessa, 12 (stop "Silpo, Central Department Store"). The first wooden Greek Holy Trinity Church was built on the site of the current one in 1796. Since 1826, a Greek gymnasium has been located at the temple. In 1868, the church was dismantled, and in its place, according to the project of the architect I.F. Kolodin, built a spacious Holy Trinity Cathedral. It is a cruciform temple with a low bell tower above the entrance. Since 1996, the Holy Trinity Cathedral has housed the relics of St. Luke (V.F. Voyno-Yasenetsky), as well as the miraculous icon of the Mother of God “Grieving”. In 2003, the women's Trinity Monastery was formed here.
In addition, on the territory of the monastery there is a museum of St. Luke 12 Wed-Sun 10:00 - 16:00. 10 rub. In which the original things of the saint are available for review. During the tour, Luke's life and work are described in sufficient detail.
From the side of Odesskaya Street, several columns under a tiled roof have been preserved, which were Greek trading rows in the late 18th - early 19th centuries.

6 Church of Saints Equal-to-the-Apostles Kings Constantine and Helena. After the annexation of Crimea to Russia, the commander of the regiment B. A. Tishchev bought a house and in 1785 set up a regimental church. On May 26, 1787, Empress Catherine II prayed in this church, ordering church utensils and sacristy to be sent here from St. Petersburg. A little later, the original appearance of the temple was greatly changed: a two-tiered bell tower was completed, and the building was redesigned. As a result, the church acquired elements of Russian architecture of the 17th century: belfry kokoshniks, architraves and an onion dome. The second tier of the belfry was restored in 2001, the images of regimental emblems were preserved on the ceiling.

7 Mansion of Duvan, Lenin, 11. Built in the 90s of the XIX century. member of the board of the Simferopol City Duma, chief legal adviser Sh. V. Duvan. After the revolution in the house from 1920 to 1934. the Crimean Regional Committee of the All-Union Communist Party of Bolsheviks worked, since 1934 - the Crimean Council of Trade Unions. With the beginning of the Great Patriotic War, the headquarters of a separate 51st Army was located here.

8  Dinzer's mansion, st. Embankment, 29. An architectural monument built at the beginning of the 20th century in the neoclassical style with baroque elements, its distinctive feature is the asymmetry of forms. The mansion is called one of the most beautiful private houses in the city. The original interior and exterior have been preserved. Now a chess and checkers club operates inside, competitions are held.

9  The building of the Tauride Provincial Gymnasium. Here, in 1855, D. I. Mendeleev began his pedagogical activity, in 1912-1920. I. V. Kurchatov studied, -. The pupils of the gymnasium in different years were: G. O. Graftio, N. S. Derzhavin, E. V. Vulf, N. P. Trinkler, M. I. Chulaki, V. V. Kenigson, I. K. Aivazovsky, A A. Spendiarov, D. N. Ovsyaniko-Kulikovskii, G. A. Tikhov, and B. V. Kurchatov.

10 Former home of Taranov-Belozerov (“Hospital home for lonely and sick soldiers”), st. Ekaterininskaya, 28/10. A two-story building built in the style of Russian classicism in 1826. Its appearance resembles a noble estate of the first quarter of the 19th century. Architectural monument.
11 House of Chirakhovs (house with dragons), ave. Kirov, 21. Built in 1890 by order of the first guild merchant Khacheres Chirakhov. The architect was B.A. Zaionchkovsky. The appearance of the building has survived to the present day almost unchanged.
12 Indo-European Telegraph, st. Ekaterininskaya, 25. One of the buildings of the Indo-European telegraph was in Simferopol. The length of the entire line (London-Calcutta) was 11 thousand kilometers. Initially, it was part of the Arendtov estate, built approximately in 1858. It is in a deplorable state.
13 Transformer substation 1914, st. Gogol, 14, Seminarsky Park, Pushkin / Gogol streets. Tram lines in Simferopol were built 100 years ago and then dismantled in the 1970s. But today you can still find traces of its history - this block of the substation. Made in the style of industrial modern.
14 Former provincial offices, st. Alexander Nevsky, 15. The one-story travel palace of Catherine II during her trip to the Crimea in 1787. Then it was used as an office and housing for the rulers of the region. In 1822, the second floor was completed and the palace was transformed into provincial offices. During the Crimean War of 1854-1855. The building was a military hospital. At the beginning of the 20th century, courses were held here to train workers for volost zemstvos. In 1918, he worked as the Council of People's Commissars of the Republic of Taurida, headed by N.G. Slutsky. The authorities of the Crimean regional governments also worked here in 1918-1919. After the war, a third floor was added over the building and the pediment was redesigned.
15  Central Park of Culture and Leisure. The oldest park in Simferopol. Founded in 1820. Seedlings for him were supplied from the Nikitsky Botanical Garden. The garden was created on the left bank of the Salgir, opposite the governor's house. In 2012, it was ennobled and brought to its proper form. There you can also find the Savopulo fountain known since 1857, when the blind Greek Apostle Savopulo was healed in this spring. After that, Savopulo ennobled the spring by building a fountain with a carved cornice and an inscription on a limestone slab "This fountain was built by the Greek Apostle Savopulo in 1857."
Forged Figures Park, Dybenko Square. The Forged Figures Park was created in 2006, when Crimean blacksmiths presented Simferopol with forged sculptures and benches. In 2007, the collection of metal sculptures was replenished with 8 new works, which were made by masters of artistic forging of the Union of Blacksmiths of Crimea. There is a similar park of forged figures in Donetsk, but it has a much larger collection.


Old city

The quarters built during the time of the Crimean Khanate (XVII-XVIII centuries) are now called the Old Town. This area is located near the modern center and is roughly bounded by Lenin, Sevastopolskaya, Krylova and Krasnoarmeyskaya streets. The Old Town has a typical layout for Eastern cities with narrow, short and crooked streets.

18  ☆ Kebir-Jami Cathedral Mosque  Wikidata element, st. Kurchatova, 4. The oldest building in Simferopol, built in 1508, as evidenced by the inscription in Arabic above the entrance. The mosque itself has been rebuilt and changed its appearance many times during its existence, and in its current state it is decorated in the style of iconic Turkish architecture. It is the main Friday mosque of Crimea, the residence of the Mufti and the Spiritual Administration of Muslims of Crimea.

19  Karaim kenassa , st. Karaimskaya, 4. Kenassa was built in 1891-1896, in an eclectic spirit, combining Moorish, Byzantine and Gothic styles. In 1930, by decision of the local authorities, the kenassa was closed. In 1934-1935 it was rebuilt, partly devoid of the iconic decor. Now empty.

20 Synagogue "Ner-Tomid", st. Sergeev-Tsensky, 61. ☎ +7 (978) 715-96-40. It is possible to conduct half-hour excursions for groups of 3 to 35 people, for this you need to agree on it in advance, Tue-Thu 12:00 - 17:00. The only surviving synagogue of the six previously operating in the city. It was built in 1893 and belongs to the Reform branch of Judaism.

21 “Seit-Settar Jami” Mosque, st. Clara Zetkin, 34. The mosque was built in 1827 by the mayor of the city - Seit Settar Chelebi, hence its name. From 1936 to the 1990s, it was closed, and its restoration was completed only in 2017. In addition to the mosque, the complex also includes a housing unit for students and a madrasah. Admission is free, caretakers conduct small excursions if desired.

22  Seit-Nafe Jami Mosque  , per. Kolodezny, 3. Built in 1880 and recently restored. Now it is functioning, the madrasah is working.

23 The building of the former mosque built by Karik-Assal (Gypsy Mosque), per. Holmisty, 7. The mosque was built in 1851 by Karik-Assal in the Gypsy Slobidka, the place where Tatar gypsies live. It was originally built as a one-story building measuring approximately 10 by 20 meters. In the middle of the XX century. the second floor was added to the mosque, and it was converted into a residential building.


Central Bus Station

Not the prettiest part of the city, but some of the important historical sites are located here. At the same time, it should be noted that in visual terms, one should not expect much from the Scythian Naples and especially from the Chokurcha cave, their main value lies in the historical plane.

Several preserved architectural monuments in the Botanical Garden may also be of interest. Among them, the Pallas estate can be distinguished as a completely blowing penetration of the Tatar tradition into the estate architecture.

24  ☆ Naples Scythian, st. Archaeological, 1 (On the Petrovsky rocks, in the area of ​​Tarabukin St. and Vorovsky St.). ☎ +7 (978) 7925642, +7 (978) 8477158. Tue–Sun 10:00–18:00. 70 rubles for adults and 20 rubles for children, the price includes excursion services. An ancient city mentioned in the Chersonesus decree of the 2nd c. BC e. and in Strabo's "Geography" as one of the Scythian royal fortresses in the Crimea. The largest Scythian settlement in the Crimea, the center of the state of the late Scythians (3rd century BC - 3rd century AD). During the excavations carried out in the 19th-20th centuries, the remains of an 8.5-meter-thick defensive wall with two towers, residential and religious buildings, statues and pedestals with Greek inscriptions were unearthed, a mausoleum with magnificent and rich burials was discovered (72 burials, in including the king, the nobility with horses, weapons, a lot of gold jewelry). However, due to the lack of funds for the necessary maintenance of the ruins, all excavated sections of the settlement were again covered with earth for safety. In 1987, a security pavilion was rebuilt over the remains of the ancient mausoleum. Which, together with the main gate of the city and the southern defensive wall, is currently available for inspection.
To the south, it ends with a cliff, from which one of the best views of the eastern part of the city and the valley of the Salgir River opens.
25  Waterfall of Petrovskaya beam. The waterfall is about 20 meters high, it is fed by a drain from the enterprise. Fullness depends on time.
26   Paleolithic site in Chokurcha cave (near Lugovaya st., 77). Neanderthal site, the oldest human dwelling in Europe (about 40-50 thousand years ago). Neanderthal skeletons were discovered here for the first time in the USSR. Also flint pointed and side-scrapers, several bone tools. On the vault of the grotto, under a layer of soot from modern fires, unique rock paintings were found. Images of the Sun with rays, a mammoth and a fish were carved into the limestone rock. Chokurchinskaya cave is a monument that has preserved to this day the remains of an extinct fauna that lived in the Crimean foothills 50 thousand years ago. Monument of nature. Current state: mountains of garbage, you need a good imagination that could complete how people lived here thousands of years ago.
27 Botanical Garden of the Taurida National University (City Park "Salgirka"), Vernadsky Avenue (by any public transport going to Maryino, get off at the next stop after the central bus station). 8:00-19:00. Free entrance. The landscape park "Salgirka" was founded at the beginning of the 19th century. the famous German scientist and naturalist P. Pallas. Now it is the Botanical Garden of the Taurida National University. V. Vernadsky. Pleasant place to walk: there is a rose garden, a large exhibition of ornamental crops, a sundial, fountains and many flowers.

28 Count M. S. Vorontsov's country house, Vernadsky Avenue, 2 (Salgirka park). The house was built in the Empire style with an interesting interior painting in oriental style. Nearby is the kitchen building, stylized as the Bakhchisaray Palace. The architect is F. Elson (who also designed the old Alupka Palace). Both buildings were built in 1827.
29  Manor of academician Peter Simon Pallas (Salgirka park). A one-story building with a separate two-story center and a colonnade was built in 1797 in the architectural Bakhchisaray or small Turkish style. From 1795 to 1810, the German scientist Pallas lived here. The estate has survived to this day almost unchanged.

30 The house that belonged to the doctor F.K. Milhausen, st. Kyiv, 24. The only surviving house in the Crimea in the "rural Empire" style, characteristic of the beginning of the 19th century. In it in 1820 - 1853. lived doctor of medicine and public figure F.K. Milhausen.

31 In 1829, a giant five-stemmed chestnut tree was planted near the house. Seven fruits of chestnut were planted in one hole, in the very first years two sprouts disappeared, and the remaining five took root well and merged into a single powerful five-trunked tree, which has survived to this day in excellent condition. The tree reached 25 m in height and about 5 m in circumference.


Train Station

32  The building of the railway station , Privokzalnaya Square, 1. A visiting card of Simferopol. Built in 1951 in the Italian style. On each side of the tower there are clock faces with a diameter of about three meters, the signs of the zodiac are located near the numbers. On the dial, instead of Virgo, Libra, Taurus - the symbols of the Zodiac, Ophiuchus, Hounds and Swan are depicted. The rest of the symbols of the Zodiac are out of sequence. There is also a reservoir in the tower, into which pumps pump water from an artesian well located in the same tower. And in Sochi there is a twin station, built a year later.
33 The complex of hospital buildings of the psychiatric hospital, 27 R. Luxembourg St. In 1805, a decree was signed on the creation of charitable institutions throughout the Russian Empire, and already in 1807 one appeared in Simferopol. A medical building, a water tower, and a chapel were built. During the Crimean War, the hospital was used as a hospital for the wounded, famous doctors N. I. Pirogov and S. P. Botkin worked in it. Currently, the hospital continues to operate with the same specialization. In one of the oldest surviving buildings, the Museum of the History of Psychiatry of Crimea was opened, however, its opening hours are not clear.
34 Gagarinsky Park, area of Tolstoy, Gagarin, Pavlenko and Kievskaya streets (Within walking distance from the railway station). A large landscape park with an area of 50 hectares, a pond with an island has been created in the center of the park. In summer you can ride catamarans. There are playgrounds, attractions, incl. ferris wheel, horseback riding and pony rides. Several cafes and restaurants.
35 Scythian settlement Kermen-Kyr, on the outskirts of the village of Mirnoe (3 km from the railway station, travel by minibuses No. 11, 79, 89). Here, over the valley of the Salgir River, you can see traces of a late Scythian fortress (IV-III centuries BC). Scientists believe that the fortification saw Diophantus, survived the invasions of the Sarmatians, the invasion of the Bosporans and Chersonesians. The death of the fortress - the Goths brought the settlement.


Simferopol reservoir

One of the most picturesque parts of the city in terms of nature. There are no buildings here, except for a couple of dilapidated estates, due to the sanitary zone around the reservoir.

36  Simferopol reservoir , st. Dam (southern outskirts of the city). One of the largest artificial reservoirs in the Crimea, created in 1954. It supplies water to Simferopol, and therefore swimming is prohibited.
37 The dam of the Simferopol reservoir. The Simferopol Dam is the largest (554 meters long, 40 meters high, and 10 meters wide) earthen dam in Europe.
38 Snake Island. An island in the middle of a reservoir, differing from the surrounding land in rocks and their geological age. It is composed of much older rocks (rocks of the Permian period, ca. 220 million years ago) than the surrounding land.
39 Cliff with a view of the reservoir (51 Army Street, the final minibus). Beautiful view from the cliff to the reservoir and Mount Chatyrdag
40 Cliff in the south of the city (Drive to the Pnevmatika microdistrict, then a few kilometers to the south along the forest plantation). A cliff break with a good view of the Crimean mountains and the city reservoir
41  The ruins of the Petropavlovsk paleovolcano, practically within the city, the village of Petropavlovka. A small fragment of an underwater volcano that erupted 150-160 million years ago. Older than the Crimean mountains by 30 million years.
42 Simferopol Arboretum. Collection of trees from Africa, America, Australia. Thirty hectares of unique plantings, created near Simferopol, on the eastern bank of the reservoir from 1974 to 1985, in which about 750 species of trees and shrubs were tested. Currently, the arboretum is abandoned and overgrown with low-value species.
43 Mount Bairakly (slightly south of the reservoir, between the valleys of the Big and Small Salgir). The height of the mountain is 510 m. In the past, it was not covered with forest, and only in the 50s of the twentieth century. was planted with pine trees. From its top, the surrounding area is clearly visible: settlements, the Salgir valley and the Simferopol reservoir. At the top of the mountain there is a dilapidated 30-meter fire tower built in the fifties, which is clearly visible from the Yalta highway.
44 Kessler's (Fersman's) estate, a little to the south of the reservoir, the village of Fersmanovo, 300 meters from the highway. A dilapidated two-story building with a turret, reminiscent of a medieval castle. Now heavily reconstructed.


What to do

The three main museums of the city are the central museum of Taurida, the Crimean ethnographic and art museums. With some stretch, the museum of the history of the city of Simferopol can also be attributed there.

1 Central Museum of Taurida (Regional Museum of Local Lore), st. Gogol, 14. ☎ +7 (3652) 276-347. 🕑 Wed-Mon 9:00 - 18:00, Friday starts and ends 2 hours later. Sightseeing tours of the museum are held on weekends at 10:00, 13:00, 15:30, the rest of the time an individual tour costs 500 rubles. Golden Pantry: Wed-Sun 10:00 - 17:00. Adult 120 rubles, children 60 rubles. The exposition of the golden treasury is paid separately - 100 rubles, and the price includes excursion services, which start at 10:30, 12:00, 14:00, 15:30. The main city museum with the richest collection of exhibits, including significant archaeological finds from the Paleolithic and later eras, a collection of coins, unique graphics of the 18th-19th centuries with views of the Crimea, personal archives of famous researchers of the history and nature of the peninsula, many photographs and documents.
2 Crimean Ethnographic Museum, st. Pushkina, 18. ✉ ☎ +7 (3652) 255223. Wed-Mon 9:00 - 18:00, Friday starts and ends 2 hours later. A visit to all expositions is 200 rubles, the exhibition "Crimean Casket" (gold pantry) is paid separately - 50 rubles. 4000 artifacts describing the traditional culture of the peoples of the Crimea. The collection tells about the material culture, customs, rituals and holidays of 25 nationalities and ethnic groups of the peninsula. There is also a 3-D relief map of Crimea with 50 colorful statues representing various peoples of Crimea.

3 Art Museum, st. Dolgorukovskaya, 35. ✉ ☎ +7 (3652) 275404. Tue 12:00 - 20:00, Wed-Sun 10:00 - 17:30. Main exposition 200 rubles, students and seniors 100 rubles; exhibition halls in the wing - 150 rubles, students - 75 rubles. Excursion 75 rubles per person (for groups of more than 3 people), or 900 rubles per group (for groups of less than 3 people). The main permanent exhibition is located in eight halls of the museum, which presents Russian, Western European art and the art of the East from the 15th to the 21st centuries. The second part of the museum is located in the wing, where temporary exhibitions are shown. It was founded in 1937, but during the Great Patriotic War, most of the museum's paintings were lost; subsequently, new funds were completed from works donated by the central museums of the Soviet Union: the Hermitage, the Russian Museum, the Tretyakov Gallery, the Museum of Fine Arts. A.S. Pushkin, the Directorate of Art Exhibitions and Panoramas, as well as from the Dresden Art Gallery, the Aachen Museum. Surmont and Ludwig, Potsdam Palaces and Parks Foundation.

4  Museum of the history of the city of Simferopol  , st. Pushkin, 17. ☎ +7 (3652) 621242; 621247. Tue–Sun 10:00–17:00, Wed until 20:00. Entrance ticket 50 rubles, excursion - 100 rubles. It has a large collection of artifacts collected by the inhabitants of Simferopol themselves. Includes paintings, old postcards and photographs of the city, famous artists and photographers of the 19th-20th centuries. There is also a Safe Room, which was owned by the St. Petersburg International Commercial Bank, which was located here in 1908-1915. Part of the museum was stylized as the destroyed hotel "European".

5 Crimean Tatar Museum of Art, st. Chekhov, 17. ☎ +7 (3652) 54-47-36. Mon-Sat 9:30 - 17:00, Thursday until 20:00, Saturday until 15:00. Entrance ticket 40 rubles, excursion 100 rubles. Dedicated to the history, traditions and culture of the Crimean Tatars. It consists of several parts: arts, archeology and Islamic culture, the department of the history of deportation and the museum of the twice Hero of the Soviet Union Ametkhan Sultan.

6 Historical and Ethnographic Museum of the Krymchaks named after Achkenazi, st. Krylova, 54. ☎ 42 08 +7 (3652) 50 42 08. It consists of three exhibition halls: the Holocaust hall tells about the genocide of Krymchaks during the occupation of Crimea during the Second World War, when 80% of Krymchaks were shot, in the second hall there is a picture gallery, and in the third - ancient costumes, dishes, musical instruments and jewelry of the Krymchaks are collected.

7  Memorial to the victims of the fascist occupation of Crimea in 1941-1944. Concentration camp "Red" Mirnoye (3 km from the railway station, travel by minibuses No. 11, 79, 89). ☎ +7 (978) 806-3490. Wed-Mon 10:00 - 17:00, excursions in the museum hall of the Memorial - as the group forms. Excursions around the territory of the Memorial and a visit to the Square of Memory - by prior arrangement. For free. Tours are conducted around the territory of the death camp, organized by the Germans in 1941-1944 on the territory of the Krasny state farm, in which, with the complicity of local collaborators, more than 10 thousand people from the civilian population and prisoners of war were killed, as well as places of mass execution of residents in the Dubki tract . It tells about the Crimea during the Great October Revolution of 1917, the development of the state farm "Red". The diorama of the village is on display.

8 House-Museum of Ilya Selvinsky, per. Bondarny, 2. ☎ +7 (3652) 270083. Wed–Mon 9:00–18:00, Thursday starts and ends two hours later. Adult 120 rubles, children 60 rubles. Individual excursion 300 rub. Museum of the outstanding poet of the first half of the 20th century Ilya Selvinsky. The museum itself is located in the house where the poet was born and lived in 1899-1906. It is also the first literary museum in Simferopol, opened in 2009.
9  A. Karamanov House-Museum, st. Karamanova, 2. Located in the building where the composer Alemdar Karamanov lived.
10 Museum of the history of the development of electric transport "Krymtrolleybus", st. Kyiv, 78. ☎ +7 (3652) 271041, 246835. Mon-Thu 08:00 - 14:00, Fri 08:00 - 13:00. The Historical Museum is dedicated to the history of the Simferopol tram and the Crimean trolleybus.
11 People's Museum of Archeology of Crimea, st. Gavena, 101. ☎ +7 (3652) 246907. 🕑 Mon-Fri 10:00 - 18:00. The museum presents ancient pebble tools, anthropomorphic steles, stone boxes of the 3rd millennium BC, a unique collection of stone tools (250-300 thousand years old). Contains materials about the Taurians, Cimmerians, Scythians, Sarmatians, Cumans, Pechenegs, Khazars and other nationalities that once inhabited the Crimea.


Small museums

Less significant museums, most of which require pre-registration to enter.

12 Zoological Museum of the Crimean Federal University, Prospekt Vernadskogo, 4, Crimean Federal University (building B, 1st floor). ✉ ☎ +7 (3652) 608-165. Mon-Fri 08:00 - 16:00. To arrange an excursion, you need to contact the head of the museum or one of the employees. It is advisable to plan your excursion in advance and negotiate a few days in advance. Museum with a wide variety of stuffed animals.
13 Museum of Anatomy (Morphological Museum at the Department of Normal Anatomy), st. Alexander Nevsky, 27a. ☎ +7 (3652) 27-89-96. Admission for groups is free. The most interesting thing is the anatomical collection of the museum: the Crimean "Kunstkamera" of 1200 natural preparations. Only preparations of the brain in the exhibition, there are about a hundred. The most impressive are the three mummies mummified in the department of the Medical University.
14 Museum of the History of the Crimean Federal University. V. I. Vernadsky, Vernadsky Avenue, 20, building No. 2. ☎ +7 (3652) 608-000, +7 (978) 777-37-16. Mon-Fri 9:00 - 16:00, excursions are carried out by appointment. Introduces the history of the university.
15 Museum of Reclamation at the Simferopol Reservoir, st. Dam, 4. ☎ +7 (3652) 638030. Excursions must be agreed in advance by phone. The museum consists of only one room, which tells about the construction of the Crimean reservoirs and hydraulic structures, the North Crimean Canal. After that, tourists are invited to walk along the dam, admiring the beautiful view of the Crimean valley and mountains. The Simferopol Dam is the largest (554 meters long, 40 meters high) earthen dam in Europe. At the base of the dam there is a unique structure - an underground tunnel, 220 meters long, stretching along the bottom of the reservoir at a depth of about 10 meters from the water surface.
16 Museum of the History of the Simferopol Railway Junction of the Pridneprovskaya Railway, Privokzalnaya Square, 1 Pridnepr. Railway".). ☎ +7 (3652) 665219. To the sounds of an old gramophone, the caretaker will tell you about the history of the Dnieper (former Ekaterininskaya) railway and the Simferopol station.
17  Krym Beer and Non-Alcoholic Plant, excursion  , Geroev Stalingrada St., 12. ☎ 203 +7 (3652) 548 203. Free of charge, duration of the excursion is 1.5 hours, the group must be from 3 to 10 people, to apply for the excursion, you must fill out the form Online. They talk about the intricacies and traditions of brewing, demonstrating all stages of the production of beer, as well as sweet and mineral waters.
18 TV Museum of the State TV and Radio Company "Crimea", st. Student, 14. ☎ +7 (3652) 275703, 600201. Excursions by prior arrangement only. The exhibition consists of 12 stands with equipment used by the broadcaster since its founding in 1959.
19 Public Museum of History, st. Ekaterininskaya, 32. ☎ +7 (3652) 272337. Mon-Sat 10:00 - 17:00. This is a relatively small museum (only 2 rooms) located on the territory of gymnasium No. 1. Exhibits are presented, rare and unique items that tell about wonderful people at different times associated with gymnasium No. 1.
20 Museum of the Seventh-day Adventist Church, st. Vorovskogo, 5 (in the building of the Seventh-day Adventist Church). ✉ ☎ 673 +7 (3652) 297 673.


For children

Simferopol State Circus, st. Gorky, 3. ✉ ☎ +7 (3652) 27-20-05. The building was built in 1959 on the site of an old tent circus. The Simferopol circus has never had its own troupe of artists, so invited troupes have always performed and continue to perform on its arena. And if you need to spend time with children, then this is one of the best places.
Children's Park, 57 Kirov Ave. (Kuibyshevsky market). A wonderful place to relax with the whole family. A large number of rides, shooting gallery, Ferris wheel. There is a corner of folk tales: under a powerful oak, the “Scientist Cat” walks on a chain, then you can meet “Cinderella”, “Chernomor” and other characters of Russian fairy tales. You can buy buy cotton candy, popcorn and sweet water. On the territory grows a giant oak "Bogatyr Taurida" According to various estimates, its age ranges from 600 to 750 years. The circumference of the trunk of this tree is about 6 meters, the diameter of the crown is 30 meters. Nearby are several 300-500-year-old oaks of smaller sizes.
Zoo, 51 Kirova Ave. (on the territory of the children's park). ☎ 88 86 +7 (3652) 27 88 86. Adult 200 rubles, children 100 rubles. At the checkout, you can buy cups of grain for feeding animals. A good place for entertainment for both children and adults. In total, there are more than 300 species of animals. Here you can see: camels, deer, bears, wolves, jaguars, leopards, monkeys, bison and many more. This zoo is famous for the fact that the famous donkey Lyuska, who starred in the film "Prisoner of the Caucasus", lived out her life here. In 2014, reconstruction began to increase the area of the zoo.
Aquarium (Next to the entrance to the zoo). Adult 80 rubles, children 40 rubles. A small aquarium where about 10 species of turtles, 3-4 species of snakes, amphibians, dozens of fish and even a crocodile live.



Crimean Academic Russian Drama Theatre. M. Gorky, st. Pushkina, 15. ☎ +7 (3652) 276702. Ticket office: 10:00 - 19:00. This is the oldest theater on the peninsula. The theater's repertoire consists mainly of Russian and international classics.
Crimean Academic Musical Theatre, 17 Kirov Ave. ☎ +7 (3652) 254552. Ticket office 10:00 - 19:00. In the spring of 1955, the Kiev Regional Mobile Drama Theater was transferred from Kyiv to the Crimea. Here it received a new name: "Crimean Regional Ukrainian Music and Drama Theatre". In 1977, a new theater building was built for him on Lenin Square, designed by architects S. Amzametdinova, V. Yudin and engineer E. Bykov. At that time it was the best musical theater building in the Ukrainian SSR. Now the theater specializes in colorful spectacular musical performances that combine songs, music and dance.
Crimean Tatar Academic Music and Drama Theatre, st. Mendeleeva, 5. ✉ ☎ +7 (3652) 511130. The only theater of the Crimean Tatars in the world.
Crimean Philharmonic, st. Pushkina, 3. ✉ ☎ For inquiries: +7 (3652) 600-536, 600-557, 272-659. Ticket order: 600-536. The Crimean Philharmonic Society includes: a symphony orchestra, a chamber choir "Tavrichesky Blagovest", the Crimean Tatar State Song and Dance Ensemble "Khaitarma", a folklore ensemble "Kalinka", vocal soloists, including several People's and Honored Artists of Ukraine, in a rare and complex genre solo performance works Honored Artist of Ukraine Tatyana Markina.
Crimean Republican Puppet Theatre, st. Gorky, 9. ☎ +7 (3652) 27-64-31. Cash desk 10:00 - 16:00 (closed Monday). Weekdays 100 rubles, weekends - 200 rubles. Mostly performances for young children, although there are a few for adults.



Cinema "Spartak", st. Pushkina, 9 (Central pedestrian zone). ☎ Cash desk: +7 (3652) 530-122, 22 99 +7 (978) 009 22 99. From 100 rubles. One of the two most popular cinemas in the city with three screens, one of which is VIP.
Cinema named after T.G. Shevchenko, st. Gorky, 5 (Central pedestrian zone). ☎ Reservations: 220 +7 (3652) 275 220, +7 (978) 7-286-682. 100-300 rub. The second popular cinema in the city with three screens.
Multiplex in the shopping center "Meganom", Evpatoria highway, 8 (in the shopping center "Meganom"). Large modern 5-hall multiplex.
Cinema "Berg", Kirov Ave., 36 (TC "Berg", 2nd floor). ☎ +7 (978) 9185353. 4 compact halls with 45 seats and a VIP room with 19 seats. Small movie screens.
Cinema "Cosmos", st. Gagarin, 2a. ✉ ☎ +7 (3652) 22-52-60, +7 (978) 956-27-28. 60-130 rub. Mainly focused on showing arthouse cinema and short film festivals.

Bowling «Dream Town», ave. Victory, 165/1. ☎ 04 +7 (3652) 5340 04. 10:00 - 24:00. Bowling club with restaurant
Bowling at Adrenalin Bowling in Meganom shopping center (🕑 10:00–0:00, 300–790 rubles) and FM shopping mall (🕑 10:00–0:00, 200–550 rubles).
Anticafe "Meeple People"  , st. Turkish, 29. ☎ +7 (978) 722 80 20. 🕑 Tue-Sun 16:00-22:00 (or until the last guest). 2 rub/min or 90 rub/hour. A typical anti-cafe, where visitors are offered to pay for the time spent in the institution, and not for the ordered dishes. Available: tea, coffee, cookies, board games, Xbox + Kinect.
Billiard club "Palace", ave. Kirov, 78, Department store "Palace", 4th floor. 10:00 - 00:00. Billiards from 200 rubles. Darts 1 game 100 rub. 17 professional billiard tables, 11 of which are designed for playing Russian pyramid, 5 for pool and 1 for snooker. Darts. Rental: chess, backgammon

Ice rinks
Ice Palace "Consol - sport", st. Embankment, 75B. ☎ +7 (978) 731-78-78. from 260 rub/hour. Individual lessons with a coach, figure skating. The matches of the United Crimean Hockey League are also held here, admission is free.
Skating rinks in Meganom shopping center (10:00–22:00, RUB 140–160) and FM shopping center (RUB 120–200/hour)
Lokomotiv Stadium". Once every 2 weeks, the stadium hosts matches of the TSK-Tavria football club (once the first champion of the Ukrainian football championship) in the Crimean football championship.



Hiking in the park part of the city along the Salgir River. One of the best walks in Simferopol, taking about 2 hours. You can start from the cinema "Cosmos" (next to the railway station), and then just walk along the river. At the end of the path you will come to the Simferopol reservoir with its picturesque surroundings. The embankment is in a dilapidated, abandoned state.

Biking. Possible cycling routes: - Upstream along the Salgir, then to the dam of the Simferopol reservoir; — Gagarinsky and Vorontsovsky parks; to Dolgorukovskaya Yayla; - Tash-Dzhargan - Snake Cave; - Chatyrdag - Crimean Natural Reserve - Alma.

Bicycles for rent. 100-200 rubles per hour, 400-600 rubles per day. They offer bike rental, incl. multi-day. There are several bike rental companies: VeloRelax, Bicycle rental in Crimea.
A group of bicycle lovers Velo-UP! organizes bike tours in the Crimea. In addition to them, KrymVel also sometimes arranges bike tours, but on a paid basis.
Wake Park  , st. Obieznaya, 10 (Lower Pond at the Radio Market). ☎ 93 90 +7 (978) 114 93 90. 🕑 Open during the warm season from April to November, from 10:00 am. 10 min - 400 rubles, the price includes equipment rental and training for the first skiing. They offer to try wakeboarding - riding on the water on the board, which occurs due to the rope-towing installation. There are springboards and other figures on the water that you can ride on. From time to time, open air festivals are held on the territory, DJs are invited.
✦  Skiing, snowboarding, sledding.. The nearest place is the slopes of Mount Chatyrdag (drive to the Angarsk Pass, then walk along the road to the camp site), or Mount Ai-Petri (first to Yalta, then climb the plateau by cable car; either from Simferopol carry minibuses directly to the Ai-Petri plateau to the ski lifts). In both places there is equipment rental, but on Ai-Petri everything is much better equipped. Valid only when there is snow in the mountains (usually December-March). The ascent to Ai-Petri from Bakhchisaray is closed during and after snowfalls.
Tennis (Tennis Center "Graphite"), st. Gagarina, 11. ☎ +7 (978) 743-16-17. 06:00 - 23:00. Rent of tennis courts from 600 rubles/hour.
Equestrian club  , st. Sevastopolskaya, 37. ☎ +7 (978) 787-93-91. daily 12:00 - 22:00. 1 hour individual lesson 600 rub. Riding training.
✦  Tours on ATVs. From 500 rub/hour. Walks on ATVs in Simferopol and Crimea. Companies that provide quad bikes and organize tours: Turnado, Quadromaki. Possible routes: - to the lower plateau of Chatyrdag; - on the White Rock (Ak-kaya); along Dolgorukovskaya yayla to Demerdzhi; in the valley of the Balanovsky reservoir; along the Simferopol reservoir and career.
✦  Tourist equipment rental, instructor services. Control and Rescue Service of Crimea ☎ +7 (3652) 25-31-58, +7 (978) 77-425-99, provides rental of tourist equipment (sleeping bag, backpack, tent, set of caving equipment); transport and accommodation at Karabi-yayla; as well as the services of an instructor on multi-day walking routes of 1-4 categories of complexity from 600 rubles / day.
✦   Skydiving. 6 200 rub. They offer several types of skydiving: • Tandem jump with an instructor (for beginners) • Jump (Static-Line) with a special training parachute system "Wing" • Jump with a round landing parachute. Several companies organize jumps: Adrenaline Tour, Turnado, DropZone CRIMEA.
✦   Paragliding. From 3300 rubles for 15 min. Flights are carried out in Stroganovka; in Tash-Dzhargan with a view of the valley of the partisan reservoir; on Zmeinka; in Druzhny with a view of Demerdzhi and Chatyr-Dag; on Taz-Tao overlooking the Ayan reservoir.



Rubles are accepted for payment.
There are about a hundred bank branches, the largest of the banks represented: Bank Rossiya, Krayinvestbank, RNKB. Regular office hours are Mon–Fri 9:00–18:00 (almost all are closed on weekends). There are many ATMs around the city that serve cards issued exclusively by Russian banks, and even not all of them: Visa cards - only those issued by banks that are members of the Unified Settlement System work (Sberbank is not included, so its cards will not work) and all Mastercard cards. The same types of cards can be used to pay in a small part of shops and cafes (November 2015).

Souvenirs can be bought at kiosks at the railway station and airport, there are also several specialized shops near the railway station, if you go in the direction of the city center, on Lenin Boulevard.

1 Company store of the Novy Svet sparkling wine factory, st. Lenina, 22. ☎ +7 978 793 41 51. 17 brands of champagnes and sparkling wines are produced. The following grape varieties are used in production: Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Riesling, Aligote, Cabernet Sauvignon. Wine aging takes place at temperatures of +10…...+15 °C from 3 to 16 years (“New World. Coronation” champagne). The range of products includes brut cuvée, extrabrut, brut, semi-dry, dry and semi-sweet wines.
2 House of the Artist, st. Ekaterininskaya, 13/16. ☎ +7 (3652) 256462. 10:00 - 16:00. The building has two exhibition halls, on the first and second floors. From the side of st. Ekaterininskaya there is a salon-shop of the House-Artist, where you can buy or order works of local artists, sculptors.
3  Outfitting center "Vertical", blvd. Lenina, 14/2. ✉ ☎ 55 97 +7 (3652) 24 55 97. Mon–Sat 9:00–19:00, Sun 9:00–18:00. The main store in the city that sells hiking equipment and clothing for outdoor activities.

Shopping malls and supermarkets
4 Shopping center "Meganom", st. Evpatoria highway, 8 (Connection with the city center is provided by 8 public transport routes). ☎ +7 978 792 82 35. 10:00–21:00, grocery store until 23:00. The largest shopping mall in Crimea.
5 Shopping and entertainment center "FM", st. Yasnaya, 37A. At the intersection of the Yalta and Feodosiya highways (Trolleybuses: No. 5/7, 13 (Stop of the FM mall). Shuttle buses: No. 10, 69, 86 (through the Kuibyshev market); No. 16, 62 (through the Railway station)). ☎ +7 (3652) 690-590. 9:00–22:00. The second largest mall in the city. There is an ice skating rink, attractions and entertainment for children "Wonder Park", bowling, billiards, food court.
6 Shopping and entertainment center "South Gallery", st. Kyiv, 189. 8:00–23:00. A large number of brand stores, Auchan. The Baby Boom children's entertainment center is called its visiting card, which includes a 5-level "Labyrinth", a 3-level extreme rope park, a 9-meter inflatable trampoline with a slide, sports attractions, simulators and video games.
7 Hypermarket "Metro", st. Evpatoria highway, 125.
Supermarket chain "PUD" (former "ATB").
A network of small shops near the "Lucky" house, scattered throughout the city.



There are many cafes specializing in burgers around the city, several kiosks with shawarma, a couple of canteens.

1   Cafe "Saffron", st. Zhelyabova, 6. 11:00–21:00. Pide, hot dishes - 150-250 rubles. A typical Turkish dining room, some of the dishes are already ready, and kebabs and pide are made to order. There are always several soups, incl. mercimek lentil soup, chickpea soup, and spicy Turkish salad with pomegranate. Very simple environment, quite crowded, many Turks. In addition, there is a stand with Turkish products for sale at the entrance.
2  "Soviet dumplings"  , st. Karla Marksa, 5. ☎ +7 (978) 0834684. Pelmeni 60 rubles, dumplings from 35 rubles, the second 60-140 rubles. An unpretentious dining room with a large selection of ready-made dishes, including several types of dumplings. Friendly staff, but don't expect too much from the food - some like it, some don't.

Average cost
3 Restaurant "Rioni", st. Poligonnaya, 50a (Away from the city center, public transport stops are quite far, so you need to be ready to take a taxi or walk 1-1.5 km). ☎ +7 (3652) 27-37-27. From 11:00 until the last guest. Main dishes 200-300 rubles + 10% service. Georgian cuisine in an absolutely fantastic performance. Large menu, average portions. The interior is very typical for Caucasian restaurants: banquet tables + glasses on the tables. There are Crimean and Georgian wines.
4   Cafe "Divan"    , Gorkogo St., 6. Main dishes 200-300 rubles. A good restaurant of Crimean Tatar cuisine, where you can try such exotic dishes as lentil soup bergimek, several types of yantyks, kebabs, ufak ash, katyk. Visitors often praise the food and the establishment itself. The restaurant is located in the basement (which is, of course, a small minus), but with an original national atmosphere. At street level - the second hall of the institution with a small coffee shop in oriental style, where coffee is brewed on the sand.
✦  Trattoria "Pesto" ("Pesto Azzurro"). ✉ ☎ 47 76 +7 (978) 791 47 76, 47 75 +7 (978) 791 47 75. 9:00–23:00. Second courses 250-500 rubles, pizza from 400 rubles. A standard set of Italian dishes, but in an absolutely amazing performance, so it is always crowded here, and there are many satisfied visitors. One of the best establishments in the city, from Italian restaurants - for sure.
5   st. Sevastopolskaya, 30.
6   st. Gagarin, 17/2.
7 Cafe "23 Cafe Boulangerie" st. Ekaterininskaya, 14/9. ☎ 53 23 +7 (978) 900 53 23. Main dishes from 300 rubles, French cuisine from 500 rubles, pastries from 100 rubles. They bake good French pastries and cakes. In the interior - an attempt to recreate the French flavor. An extensive menu, some devoted to French cuisine, but the cost of these is significantly more expensive than the rest. Nevertheless, this is one of the nicest restaurants in Simferopol.
8  Teahouse "Pavlin Mavlin", Vorovskogo str., 4. ☎ +7 (978) 227-0-227. Sun-Thu 11:00 - 01:00, Fri-Sat 11:00 - 03:00. The second 300-500 rubles. Belongs to the Moscow chain of teahouses with a bright and colorful interior and an extensive selection of Uzbek dishes. It consists of several large halls, in some of them they smoke hookah. Uzbek waiters serve, which is usual for Moscow, but not typical for Simferopol. Weekend evenings - karaoke.
9 Cafe "In Time", st. Ekaterininskaya, 14. ☎ +7 (3652) 27-45-56. around the clock. Main dishes 350-500 rubles. Nice looking establishment with 2 halls and a summer terrace open during the summer months. The menu is obscenely international: sushi, Japanese, Armenian, Georgian, Italian cuisine, there are desserts. The food itself is definitely 5 stars. However, some waiters, obviously, are burdened by their work - they work reluctantly.

10  Sushi Studio "Taki"  , st. Proletarskaya, 9 / st. Bolshevistskaya, 28. ☎ +7 (3652) 50-02-68, +7 (978) 7113288. 10:00 - 23:00. Rolls - 160-400 rubles, hot dishes 180-500 rubles. They cook relatively good Japanese food (some things work well, some things don't, for example, wok). Japanese style in the interior with singing birds. Home delivery is possible.
11  Restaurant Persona Grata  , st. Sergeeva-Tsensky, 10. ☎ 1 777 +7 (978) 777 1 777. 10:00 - 23:00. 300-900 rub. An institution with a transparent roof on the 3rd floor, author's and quite tasty cuisine and good service. You can smoke hookah on the summer terrace.
12 Restaurant complex "Rybatskaya village", Moscow highway, 6 km (on the outskirts of the city). ☎ 8850 +7 (978) 780 8850. Main dishes 200-1200 rubles. A distinctive feature is a large area with several lakes where you can rent a house or gazebo, fish or barbecue. As stated in the menu, dishes of the "new Slavic cuisine" are served: potato pancakes, mother-in-law's tongue, pike cutlets, duck with apples, an abundance of mangal dishes. There is a petting zoo on the territory 9:00-17:00 with African ostriches, peacocks, rabbits, Vietnamese pigs, wild boars, goats and horses. Animals walk around the park and you can feed them.
13  Restaurant "Knyazha Vtikha"  , st. Turgenev, 35. ☎ +7 (3652) 25-10-20. 12:00–24:00. Main dishes from 300 rubles, but most are still over 500 rubles. Restaurant of Ukrainian cuisine. Well prepared.


Coffee houses, confectionery

Along Pushkin Street, as well as in Treneva Park, there are 5-6 small street coffee shops (“Koffishka”, “Merry Berry”, etc.) with relatively budget, but not the most delicious desserts and coffee drinks.

One of the cafes of the Shokoladnitsa network operates in the Meganom shopping mall.

14  Coffee shop "Shokoko"  , st. Gorky, 14. ☎ +7 (3652) 27-70-29. A good two-story coffee house, decorated in a royal style. Good but expensive desserts.
15  Dessert cafe "Chao"  , st. Samokish, 7a. ☎ +7 (978) 770-35-54. 9:00-22:00. Large selection of cakes, but some of them definitely have an artificial flavor or taste. Despite this, a huge number of positive reviews.
16  Coffee house "KOFEiN", st. Pushkina, 8. ☎ 49 90 +7 (3652) 50 49 90. Round the clock, except for the night from Mon to Tue. In general, as always in the establishments of this chain of coffee houses, good coffee, delicious desserts, interesting interior. There is a slight lack of space in the room, all the tables are unnecessarily miniature and stand very close to each other.
17  Salon Du Chocolat  , st. Kirova, 66. ☎ +7 (3652) 521902, 44 60 +7 (978) 783 44 60. 10:00–22:00. Coffee from 70 rubles, cakes 100-150 rubles. The main emphasis in the cafe is on chocolate: you can drink several types of hot chocolate, eat a chocolate bar or a figured product made from it, look at chocolate pictures hung on the walls. The miniature chocolate museum, which operates at a cafe, can be interesting. During the tour, it tells about the history of chocolate, shows chocolate figurines and portraits, and the chocolate Eiffel Tower, which was created by a mathematician. Entrance ticket to the museum - adult 300 rubles, children 50 rubles. Master classes are held.


Night life

1  Pub "Proletarsky"  , st. Caucasian, 16. ☎ +7 (3652) 620-952, 620-950. 10:00-24:00. They brew several beers of fairly good quality themselves - 80 rubles a glass. European cuisine is also served.
2  Bar "BegeMOTObar"  , st. Gorky, 8. ☎ +7 (3652) 547475. 9:00-24:00. One of the most popular places to drink beer. Amazing salads. Very loud in the evening.
3  Tasting room of the Massandra winery, st. Gorky, 7 (opposite the Russian Drama Theatre, in the city center, in the basement of an old building). Quite comfortable atmosphere. You can try any wine, cognac sold in the store. Jun 2017
4  Karaoke club "GOODzone"  , st. Heroes of Stalingrad, 8/3. Jun 2017

Night clubs
5 Restaurant-club "Irey", st. Lenina, 25. ☎ +7 (978) 7525437. 11:00 - until the last guest. A slightly glamorous place. The club regularly organizes concerts of famous Russian and foreign performers. Check out their website for upcoming events.
6 Globus Night Club, 32 Kirova Ave. A relatively small, but still popular establishment among local residents.
7 "Ray", st. Ryleeva, 2 (outside the city center). Mon, Fri, Sat: 21:00 - until the last guest.



At the railway station at any time of the year, you can find people offering housing in the private sector, you can identify them by signs - "Housing", if you did not find them near the electronic board with the schedule under the clock - start moving along Lenin Boulevard towards the city center. After 50-100 meters you will find them. The cost is on average lower than in hotels, but the quality can be very different. You can also try looking for rental apartments online.

1 Hostel "Monroe", st. A. Nevsky, 4. ☎ +7(978) 878-07-79, +7 (978) 758-63-28. A bed in a 6-bed dormitory room is 390 rubles, 550 rubles in a quadruple room. Very high ratings in booking agencies. Here, apparently, the owners are doing everything possible to make everything suit the customers. The only negatives mentioned are that it is difficult to find a hostel and there are few sockets in the room.
2  Hotel Marseille, st. Avtomobilistov, 5 (Located on the Evpatoria-Yalta bypass road). ✉ ☎ +7 (978) 70-555-28, +7 (3652) 504979. Double 1000 rub, suite 2400 rub. Nice, inexpensive hotel, built in 2012. The presence of a restaurant. Beautiful area, peace and quiet.
3 "Like" hostel, st. Karaimskaya, 22A. ☎ +7 (978) 073 90 77. A bed in a multi-bed room is 590 rubles, a budget double room is 1500 rubles. Fast internet. Availability of a kitchen. The reviews are mixed, there are people who did not like it, they argue with poor sound insulation, the need to pay more than originally stated, the photos do not correspond to reality. But there are also many who liked it, in particular they say that they are good responsive hosts.
4 Hostel "№1", p. Peace, st. Stadionnaya, 21 (far from the center, between the airport and the railway station, 2.5 km from the latter). Bed in a multi-bed room 290 rubles. A very simple hostel for the most unassuming. There is a shared kitchen and a common area. Rooms with shared or private bathroom. WiFi

Average cost
5  Tavria Hotel, 21 Bespalova St. ☎ +7 (3652) 63-89-14, 05 50 +7 (978) 736 05 50 The hotel is in the building of an old boarding house, but a good repair, spacious rooms. Not very conveniently located.
6  Hotel Zvezdnaya, st. Mate Zalka, 17-B. ✉ ☎ +7 (978) 800 67 50, +7 (3652) 51-80-41. Single 1500 rubles, double 2600 rubles. Of the pluses - a good location near the central bus station, a cafe on the 8th floor. But not very friendly staff, the rooms are not the first freshness. From the old Soviet fund.
7  Sportivnaya Hotel, st. Zhelyabova, 50. ✉ ☎ +7 (3652) 272311, +7 (978) 835-52-22. Single from 1300 rubles, double from 2200 rubles. Pretty ok hotel. Friendly staff, breakfast is included in the room rate. There is an inexpensive sauna with a pool. Of the minuses: small room, Wi-Fi weakly catches.
8 Guest House "Terrazzo", st. Bespalova, 35a (By public transport of Simferopol - Stop "Tavrichesky National University (TNU) from the railway station, route taxi No. 64, No. 65; trolleybus No. 6; From the airport, route taxi No. 49;). ☎ +7 978 871-73 -69. 2 200 RUB Cozy budget private mini-hotel.The room has everything you need, but it is uncomfortable to stay there for a long time - very small.Delicious food (restaurant on the ground floor)
9 Guest house "Regence", st. Krasnoarmeyskaya, 65. 2500 rub. Very friendly and hospitable hosts. High speed internet, sauna and swimming pool. Large very comfortable rooms, the room has a refrigerator, stove, sink - you can cook.
10  Victoria Hotel, st. Dekabristov, 17a (Located in one of the quietest central parts of the city, surrounded by green trees, two parks with many attractions). ☎ +7 (3652) 60-00-64. Double from 2500 rubles. Small cozy hotel. Good number. Good breakfasts.

11 Hotel "Ukraine", st. A. Nevsky, 7 (In the city center in a well-repaired Stalinist building. From the railway station - by taxi to the stop "hotel "Ukraine""). ☎ +7 (3652) 51-01-65, +7 (978) 835-52-25. Single 4100 rubles, double 4400 rubles and above. Probably the best 4 star hotel in town. After a recent renovation, the interior resembles a palace with its decoration. The hotel is not without flaws, sometimes unfriendly staff. Excellent breakfast. Pretty good with an extensive menu, but expensive restaurant.
12  Valencia Hotel, st. Odessa, 8 (In the very center of Simferopol, on the border of the old and new city). ✉ ☎ +7 (3652) 51-06-06, +7 (978) 834 44 88. single 2800 rub, standard 3400 rub, deluxe 4500 rub. A very decent hotel. The rooms were renovated in 2014. Convenient location, friendly staff.
13 Hotel Moscow, st. Kyiv, 2. ☎ 615 +7 (3652) 620 615, +7 (978) 8355585. Single 3100 rubles, double from 3500 rubles. A good Soviet-style hotel, renovated in 2010. Convenient location, friendly staff, clean and warm. Large selection of food for breakfast. Bad soundproofing. Some rooms have old furniture and poor WiFi.
14 TES-Hotel, Krzhizhanovsky St., 40 (on the highway from the airport to Simferopol (3 km from the airport), you can get there by trolleybus 2/9; minibuses 40, 98, 100,115). ☎ 555 +7 (3652) 605 555. Comfort room 4500 rubles, duplex suite 7000 rubles. Close to the airport, good reviews.
15 Hotel "Tavricheskaya", st. Oktyabrskaya, 16 (in the city center). ☎ +7 (978) 773-67-97, +7 (3652) 2709-111. Double from 3900 rubles. Clean, comfortable, nice interior. Pleasant staff. Breakfast is included in the price. Compliance of price and quality.
16 Guest house "On Suvorovsky Spusk", Suvorovsky Spusk, 9. ☎ +7 (978) 728-11-38, +7 (3652) 27-75-86. Double 2800 rubles and more. Good location: close to the center, to numerous restaurants, shops, banks. Clean, comfortable. Good free wifi. Bad soundproofing.



The Internet can be found in almost all catering establishments, as well as in the following Internet cafes: 2nd floor of the central post office, in the city center on Ekaterininskaya street, inside the railway station building (next to the waiting room), corner building opposite the railway station.

There are mobile operators "Win Mobile" and "MTS" of the Krasnodar Territory (for more details, see the section Mobile operators in Crimea).


Precautionary measures

Taxi drivers may try to earn as much money as they can by not always acting in the most honest ways. They are especially annoying at the airport, railway and bus stations. The main tricks: unrealistically inflated prices, the price is announced not for the entire trip, but for a kilometer (at the same time, these nuances are clarified only at the end of the trip). The cost of a trip from the airport to Simferopol is approximately 300-400 rubles if you order a taxi by calling the dispatcher.

The most unsafe areas of the city, especially at night: the old city, Petrovskaya beam, the embankment and the industrial area, starting from the central market and further to the southwest.



Zuya is a typical village 15 km east of the city along the Feodosia highway with a 19th century church. In the vicinity there is one of the most beautiful reservoirs of the Crimea - Balanovskoe; and three old German settlements with a military museum in one of them.


South of the city (along the Sevastopol highway)

1  Water tower  Wikidata element, Pochtovoe village, railway station. Old water tower built in oriental style at the beginning of the 20th century.
2  The Sabers estate of A.M. Borozdin, p. Chestnut, st. Bogdanova, 2 (can be reached by bus Simferopol-Kashtanovoye village). In 1802, A. M. Borozdin bought about four thousand hectares of land and built the Sably estate on them. Orchards were laid out here, cloth production was launched, a tannery was established, silkworms and sheep were bred, and a water mill functioned. At the same time, a manor house was built in the classical Russian style. This manor house has survived to this day (now it houses a number of public institutions), an abandoned park, a chestnut alley; fountain and family crypt of the Davydovs.
3  The Tash-Dzhargan tract (translated from the Turkic “tash” - a stone, “dzhar” - a cliff), 10 km south-west of Simferopol, in the valley of the Western Bulganak River (from the railway station on the minibus No. 57 "Simferopol - Chistenkaya" to the bus stop Levadki (20 - 25 minutes)). The Tash-Dzhargan mountain range, located within the Inner Ridge of the Crimean Mountains, is full of natural and historical monuments. This is the Snake Cave, and the monuments of the Taurus culture of the 9th-6th centuries BC. e.
4  Snake Cave (near the villages of Levadki and Chistenkoye, 10 kilometers south of Simferopol). The snake cave is the largest of the karst caves in Crimea. Since 1969, the cave has been recognized as a natural monument of the Crimea. The length of the cave is 350 meters, and the total area is 400 square meters. Not equipped to visit.
5  Taurus sacrificial well of the 9th-6th centuries BC. e.. On the rocky surface gaping hole with a diameter of 4-5 meters. This is the upper entrance to the cave, where there is a huge grotto below at a depth of 12 meters. The theory of the emergence of such a cavity is ascending artesian flows. The volume of the cavity is about 4000 cubic meters. It is hard to imagine with what great force and speed the flows of pressure artesian waters burst here from below, if as a result they "carved" such a cavity. In the 9th-6th centuries BC, the Taurus sacrificial well was located here.
6  Partisan reservoir, Kizilovka village. Cute landscapes. Provides drinking water to Simferopol
7  Cliffs above Kalinovaya Balka (to the south-east of Pleasant Date is the village of Malinovka, to the east (literally across the road) there are rocks, you can either climb on foot or by car). The rocks above Kalinovaya Balka provide an opportunity to enjoy the Crimean beauties. They offer a view of the Partizanskoe reservoir, Kalinovaya beam, as well as open spaces up to Chatyr-Dag.
8 Crimean Astrophysical Observatory, pos. Scientific (35 km from Simferopol, turn left halfway to Bakhchisaray). ☎ +7 (978) 806-13-74, +7 (978) 893-54-11, +7 (978) 847-29-47. 200 rubles (2014). The largest Crimean observatory is located in the mountains east of Bakhchisaray. Here is a whole scientific village and two independent organizations at once - an observation post of the Moscow Institute. Sternberg (GAISh MGU) and the Crimean Observatory itself. The latter conducts excursions with a display of telescopes and observation of the starry sky or the Sun, if you want to come during the day. Minibuses run from Simferopol at intervals of about once an hour (although Bakhchisaray is a little closer, there is no direct transport from there!). There is a hotel in the village where you can stay overnight. Arrange a tour in advance by phone.


To the west of the city (along the roads to Saki and Nikolaevka)

9 Weeping rock tract, not far from the village of Kolchugino. Landscape monument since 1988. It is named so because of the water oozing from the karst cracks of the rock. Which then rolls down streams into the pond. Heavily littered.
10   Cultural and ethnographic center of the Crimean Germans club-cafe "Kronental", p. Kolchugino, st. Revolution, 32. ✉ ☎ +7 (3652) 35-45-89. The German colony of Kronental appeared on these parts in 1811 after the publication of the manifesto of Tsar Alexander I on the development of the Black Sea lands. By the end of the 19th century, more than one and a half thousand people, mostly Germans, lived in the village. During World War II, all Crimean Germans were deported. Now in the village 54 houses of German colonists have been preserved, as well as two churches: Roman Catholic and Evangelical Lutheran.
The cultural center was opened in 1991 in a former wine cellar, in the house of the landowner Schneider, who lived here in the 19th century and specialized in growing grapes and winemaking. In the center there was a collection of household items used by the inhabitants of the village in 1710-1923. And the very premises of the center were recreated on the model of beer bars in Southern Germany. Here they are introduced to the technology of making dark and red German beer, beer tastings are held, and you can order dishes of national German cuisine.
11  Radio telescope in Shkolnoye (TNA-400)   (Shkolnoye village, behind the airport). The first Soviet high-precision small-scale radio telescope. Created to ensure launches of spacecraft to the Moon and the planets of the solar system. The diameter of the main reflector is 32 meters. On October 4, 1957, it was from here that the first session of space communication with the world's first artificial Earth satellite was conducted.
12   Solnechny Museum of Applied Arts, p. Skvortsovo, st. Kalinina, 49. ☎ 9-35-62-57. Tue, Thu 12:00 - 18:00, Sat 12:00 - 17:00. A tiny rural museum displaying the creations of local masters: paintings, drawings, sculptures, wood carvings, embossing. Carpets, tapestries, towels, shirts.


To the north of the city (along the Moscow highway)

13 People's Museum of the Crimean Agro-Industrial College, the village of Small (former Kichkin), st. Student, 1, Agro-Industrial College. ✉ ☎ College phone +7 (3652) 310-672, +7 (3652) 325-547. Tells about the history of the college, about college graduates - participants in the Great Patriotic War. In one of the halls there is an exhibition of creativity of teachers and students.
14 Rural Museum of Military and Labor Glory, Shirokoye village. The museum building was built by German colonists in 1910. The museum itself is dedicated to the history of the village, there are two panoramas and 580 exhibits.
15 Historical and ethnographic museum of Novoandreevka village, p. Novoandreevka, st. Victory, 43a (House of Culture). ☎ +7 (3652) 326-348.


To the south-east of the city (along the Alushta highway)

16  Manor of Countess Mongenet, Pionerskoye village (travel by trolleybus No. 1). Count's ruins, once a large two-story palace of the XIX century, which belonged to the Countess of Montgenet. The interior of the building is almost completely destroyed and littered with ceilings of the collapsed second floor. In 2012, the front of the building collapsed. The corner tower is relatively well preserved.
17  Eski-Saray Mosque, Pionerskoye village, half a kilometer from the Simferopol-Yalta highway (travel by trolley bus No. 1). One of the most ancient Muslim mosques in Crimea, presumably built in the XIV-XV centuries. Now it is dilapidated and is a quadrangular building with an adjoining small mosque intended for women, as well as the ruins of a minaret.
18  Ostrich farm, p. Denisovka, st. Solnechnaya 57 (Along the Yalta bypass until the turn of the village of Stroganovka, the distance from the bypass road is 6 km). ☎ +7 (978) 743 42 23, 409 +7 (3652) 707 409. Excursion 100 rubles, fishing 400 rubles/day, donkey ride 240 rubles/h, horse riding 400 rubles/h. Guided tours tell about the full development cycle of an ostrich from an egg in an incubator to an adult bird. Ma farm also operates a contact minizoo. There are horseback riding, paintball, fishing. Exotic dishes from ostrich meat, quail, Vietnamese pig.
Perevalnoye is a village 20 km from the city, in the vicinity of which the most famous Crimean caves Marble, Mamontovaya, Trekhglazka, Krasnaya are located. This is also the starting point for many mountain routes, in particular, hikes to Mount Chatyr-Dag start from here and from the Angarsk pass.



The city received the name Simferopol in 1784 in accordance with the fashion of that time to give pseudo-Greek names to cities in the southern lands newly annexed to Russia. Simferopol (ancient Greek ἡ Σιμφερούπολις / and simferupolis /) can be translated from ancient Greek as “a city of common good”, “city of benefit”, “gatherer city” (Σίμφερου- “guardian”, πόλις- “city”) or “ sim" + "feros" - "I carry everything."

In the Crimean Tatar language, the city is called Krymskotat. Akmescit, Aqmescit, which in translation into Russian means "white mosque" (ak - "white", mesjit - "mosque").



The first human settlements on the territory of present-day Simferopol appeared in the prehistoric era in the Chokurcha cave, but the most famous of the ancient predecessors of the city is Naples-Scythian - the capital of the late Scythian state, which arose around the 3rd century BC. e. and presumably destroyed by the Goths in the 3rd century AD. e. The ruins of Naples are now located in the Petrovsky beam area on the left bank of the Salgir River.

During the early Middle Ages, there was no large urban settlement on the territory of Simferopol. During the reign of the Kipchaks and the Golden Horde, there was a small settlement called Kermenchik (translated from the Crimean Tatar as a small fortress, fortress).

During the period of the Crimean Khanate, the city of Akmesdzhit arose, in Russian sources known as Akmechet, Ak-Mechet, Akmechit (from the Crimean Tatar “white mosque”, in the Turkic languages, including the Crimean Tatar, “ak”, that is, white, called the west, in contrast to "kok" - blue, which was called the east), which was the residence of kalga - the second person in the state after the khan. The palace of the kalgi-sultan was located on the banks of the Salgir in the current Petrovsky gully. The quarters built in those days are now called the Old Town. This area is roughly bounded by Lenin Street (before the revolution Gubernatorskaya), Sevastopolskaya, Krylova (Cemetery) and Krasnoarmeyskaya (Armyskaya). The Old Town has a typical layout for Eastern cities with narrow, short and crooked streets. The 17th-century Ottoman traveler Evliya Celebi wrote that “it is a well-organized city with houses ... two-story, with walls made of stone. All houses are spacious. There are two hundred shops. … There are three inns for merchants.”

In 1736, the town was ravaged by the troops of Count B.K. Minich during the Russian-Turkish war of 1735-1739. The palace of the Kalgi Sultan was destroyed.

After the annexation of the Crimea to the Russian Empire in 1783, it was decided to make the settlement of Ak-Mechet formed on most of the lands of the Crimean Khanate of the Tauride region as the center. Therefore, the official date of foundation of Simferopol is 1784. The city, which included both newly built quarters and the territory of the Ak-Mechet, was named Simferopol, which means “city of benefit” in Greek. The choice of the Greek name is explained by the trend that existed during the time of Catherine II to call new cities in the annexed southern territories with Greek names, in memory of the Greek cities and lands that existed there in ancient times and in the Middle Ages. Since that moment, Simferopol has always been the administrative center of Crimea. Paul I, who ascended the Russian throne after Catherine II, returned the name Ak-Mechet to the city, but already at the beginning of the reign of Alexander I, the name Simferopol was again introduced into official use. The decree on the formation of the Tauride province of October 8, 1802 says: "Simferopol (Ak-Mechet) is appointed as the provincial city of this province." Throughout the 19th century, both names of the city were frequently indicated on maps and in official documents.

Like the main part of the Taurida province (excluding Yalta), Simferopol was part of the Pale of Settlement. On April 22, 1905, a Jewish pogrom took place in the city, the reason for the pogrom was a rumor about the desecration of an icon by a Jewish boy. This pogrom was stopped by the Jewish self-defense and the army. In October 1905, about 40 Jews were killed during a Jewish pogrom.

During the civil war, on March 19, 1918, Simferopol became the capital of the Soviet Socialist Republic of Taurida, later it was occupied by German troops and several rapidly succeeding white governments were located here.

After the end of hostilities, the city became the capital of the Crimean ASSR.

After the beginning of the Great Patriotic War, the enterprises of the city began to produce military products, two regiments of the people's militia and two destruction battalions were formed in the city. In accordance with the directive of the Headquarters of the Supreme High Command No. 00931, in August 1941, the German population was deported to the eastern regions of the USSR.

From November 1, 1941 to April 13, 1944, Simferopol was occupied by German troops, massacres of the civilian population began here. In total, during the period of the German-Romanian occupation in Simferopol and its environs, 22.6 thousand people were killed, and several thousand more were taken out for forced labor. Over 8 thousand people were killed near the city in a concentration camp created by the invaders on the territory of the Krasny state farm. During the hostilities and the German occupation, the city was seriously damaged, 30% of the housing stock was destroyed here, the railway station was blown up, the equipment of all enterprises of the city was destroyed or removed.

In the spring-summer of 1944, in accordance with the Decree of the State Defense Committee, the Crimean Tatar, Greek, Bulgarian, Armenian and partly Karaite population was deported from the Crimea, including Simferopol, and settled throughout the territory of the USSR.

On June 30, 1945, after the liquidation of the Autonomous Republic, Simferopol became the center of the Crimean region of the RSFSR, which in 1954, in accordance with the Decree of the Presidium of the USSR Armed Forces of February 19, 1954 and the USSR Law of April 26, 1954, was transferred to the Ukrainian SSR.

In the 1950s, the city developed rapidly. A canal for supplying Dnieper water from the Kherson region was put into operation, thanks to which industrial enterprises are actively developing. Housing construction is proceeding at a rapid pace.

In 1984, Simferopol was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor.


Accession to the Russian Federation

In February-March 2014, after the removal of Ukrainian President V.F. Yanukovych from power, Simferopol became one of the centers of events that led to the annexation of Crimea to Russia. When Euromaidan supporters tried to hold a rally near the parliament building on the morning of February 21 — a picket against a possible decision to separate Crimea from Ukraine, they were prevented by about a hundred young people who identified themselves as activists of the People's Liberation Movement.

On February 23, a rally organized by the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar people was held on Lenin Square in Simferopol, during which the chairman of the Mejlis, Refat Chubarov, called on the Crimean members of the Party of Regions to leave the party, and also demanded that the city authorities demolish the monument to Lenin within ten days.

On February 25, at a rally near the building of the Supreme Council of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea in Simferopol, it was announced the start of an indefinite protest action demanding a referendum on the status of Crimea.

On February 26, the Mejlis organized a rally near the building of the Supreme Council of Crimea in order to prevent a decision to join Russia. At the same time, a rally of the "Russian Community of Crimea" was held here. A conflict broke out between the participants of the two rallies, as a result of which 30 people were injured and injured and two people died.

Early in the morning of February 27, two groups of Russian soldiers dressed in unmarked uniforms seized the buildings of the Supreme Council of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and the Council of Ministers of the autonomy. Russian flags were raised over the buildings, and barricades appeared at the entrance. In connection with the seizure of administrative buildings, the city center was cordoned off by the police, who did not take any active steps. Only deputies of the Supreme Council of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea were allowed into the parliament building, who held an extraordinary session at which the government of Anatoly Mogilev was dismissed, the leader of Russian Unity Sergey Aksyonov was appointed the new Prime Minister of Crimea, and a decision was made to hold a referendum in Crimea " on improving the status and powers of the region.

People's Deputy of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko, who arrived in Simferopol on the evening of February 28 to meet with deputies of the Supreme Council of Crimea, was greeted by pro-Russian activists with shouts and Poroshenko was forced to retreat. In Simferopol, about 60 activists blocked the entrance to the territory of the permanent representation of the President of Ukraine in the Autonomous Republic of Crimea, protesting against the appointment of Serhiy Kunitsyn by Oleksandr Turchynov as the presidential representative. On the same day, without agreement with the Supreme Council of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea, the new Ukrainian authorities replaced the head of the Main Department of Internal Affairs in the Autonomous Republic of Crimea.

Early in the morning of March 1, the new head of the Crimean police with a group of accompanying persons appeared in Simferopol and tried to break into the building of the Central Internal Affairs Directorate, but was stopped by a detachment of Russian military.

On March 1, the center of Simferopol was under the control of armed people, military trucks drove around the streets, two machine-gun nests were set up near the parliament building. “Polite people” (as the Russian military in uniform without insignia was called) blocked administrative buildings and infrastructure facilities. In addition to the building of the government and the Supreme Council of Crimea, these included an airport, television and radio stations, Ukrtelecom facilities, and military registration and enlistment offices. In the future, strategically important objects continued to remain under the control of Russian troops.

After the March 16 referendum on the annexation of Crimea to Russia and the signing on March 18 of an agreement on the entry of the Republic of Crimea into the Russian Federation, Simferopol received the status of the capital of the Republic of Crimea as part of Russia. Most of the international community does not recognize the annexation of Crimea to Russia; in UN documents and the legislation of Ukraine, the peninsula is considered as an occupied part of Ukraine.


City symbols

The coat of arms of Simferopol and the Flag of Simferopol are the official heraldic symbols of the city of Simferopol. Approved by the decision of the Simferopol City Council No. 138 of December 14, 2006, after the annexation of Crimea to the Russian Federation, confirmed by the decision of the Simferopol City Council No. 231 of April 2, 2015 as the coat of arms and flag of the city district of Simferopol.



Geographic location
Simferopol is located in the foothills of the Crimea, in a hollow formed by the intersection of the inter-ridge valley between the Outer (lowest) and Inner ridges of the Crimean Mountains and the valley of the Salgir River. The Simferopol reservoir was created on the river near the city.

Within the city (Gagarin Park), the right tributary, the Maly Salgir, flows into the Salgir River, which flows through the Chokurcha tract (the area of Lugovaya St.). Another small tributary, the Abdalka, flows through the Beloye and Zagorodnee microdistricts and flows into the Maly Salgir in the area of ul. Titov. The Slavyanka and Kazanka rivers flow completely through the city.

Located south of the city blocks, on the territory subordinate to the city council, the run-of-the-river Simferopol reservoir, which is one of the most important sources of water supply for the city. Other important sources are the Mezhgornoye reservoir, which is filled with the waters of the North Crimean Canal, and the Partizanskoye reservoir.

Simferopol is located in the MSK time zone (Moscow time). The offset of the applicable time from UTC is +3:00. In accordance with the applied time and geographic longitude, the average solar noon in Simferopol occurs at 12:44.

The climate of Simferopol is foothill, dry steppe, with mild winters and hot, long summers. The average temperature in January is +0.6 °C, in July +22.6 °C. The average annual rainfall is 450 mm, the average number of hours of sunshine is 2469 per year. The growing season accounts for 270 mm of precipitation. The maximum precipitation occurs in the summer, but the proximity to the Mediterranean climate makes an unexpressed secondary maximum precipitation occurring in December.



Simferopol is a significant industrial center. The main industries are mechanical engineering, food and light industries. In total, there are about 70 significant enterprises in the city, including Pnevmatika, the Simferopolselmash machine-building plant, an electric machine-building plant (SELMA Firm), the Efirmaslo enterprise, two canning factories, a confectionery and pasta (owned by the Russian company Euroservice) factories, factories of household chemicals and plastics, Krymstroymaterialy and Krymnerudprom enterprises. The largest enterprise in the city is the Fiolent plant for the production of power tools, micromachines and shipborne automation systems.

Simferopol is the most important transport hub of the Crimea. Most of the communication of the republic with the outside world occurs precisely through its administrative center. In the city there are: an airport of international class - "Simferopol", a railway station, a bus station, three bus stations. Metrobuses run from the airport to the railway station.

Since May 1, 2014, the city has been included in the single ticket system. On August 1, 2014, after a 25-year break, the movement of passenger trains through the Kerch ferry was resumed. The first train was 561/562 Simferopol - Moscow. Until August 30, 2014, the train was ferried across the crossing, after which this scheme was abandoned in favor of the intermodal train + ferry + train scheme.

Since December 28, 2014, Ukrainian passenger trains arriving on the peninsula through the isthmus and through Chongar have been assigned a route to Kherson and Novoalekseevka, respectively, a Belarusian train - to Zaporizhzhia, trains of the Crimean Railway that ran to Moscow's Kursk station through Ukraine - cancelled. Also, on December 26, 2014, Russian carriers were banned from official bus transportation from Crimea through the territory of Ukraine, and from January 20, 2015, unofficial ones.

With the opening of the automobile part of the Crimean bridge on May 18, 2018, interregional bus traffic is carried out through it.

After the opening of the railway part of the Crimean bridge, on December 23, 2019, the movement of trains from mainland Russia to Crimea is carried out through it. Trains run to Simferopol from Moscow and St. Petersburg.

Simferopol, Alushta and Yalta are connected by the world's longest (86.5 km) trolleybus line with intercity routes from Simferopol: 51 (to Alushta) and 52 (to Yalta). Its operation was suspended at the end of 2015 due to the energy blockade of Crimea by Ukraine, but it was restored in January 2016. The main urban transport are trolleybuses and buses, as well as numerous private fixed-route taxis. In 1914-1970, a tram operated in the city.

In the 1950s and 1960s, the Simferopol Thermal Power Plant with a capacity of about 70 MW was built. After reconstruction in 1990-2000s, the capacity increased to 92 MW. In 2014-2016, after the annexation of Crimea to Russia, the capacity of the CHPP was increased to 100 MW as a result of equipment upgrades.

In 2019, a new Tavricheskaya TPP with a total capacity of 470 MW was built and put into operation. The introduction of a new power plant made it possible to fully ensure the energy independence of Simferopol.